Feeder fishing - time in water.

chrisdobb

I am looking for some advice from this knowledgeable group.

My local private members lake has had a sudden change in the last few weeks.

Although it was very well stocked with Carp, 3 – 14lb, Tench and Bream, lately the bite rate has dropped significantly.

My approach, when feeder fishing, is to not pre-bait or use any groundbait etc. but to leave my first 2 casts in the water for 10 minutes, my third and forth cast I leave for 15mins and after that I leave it for max 20 minutes, I continue with this approach unless or until I can see a pattern of some sort show or obviously until I get a bite, but never longer than 20 minutes.

Lately I am lucky to get maybe 3 or four fish per session.

What is the feeling of you guys?

Should I use a smaller feeder, currently I usually use Guru Hybrid (Small) or should I leave feeder in for longer than 20 minutes?

My go to hookbait is usually hard pellet of wafter.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Five minutes in Summer, 15 in Winter (water temp above/below 12 degrees). No point in longer in case the hookbait has become hidden/masked or has come off.

Fish can be amazingly selective as to hookbait, carrier bait and feeder type. For that reason on a feeder water I will have two rods set up and while one is fishing I can change the set-up on the other. Keep ringing the changes until you find what the fish want that day.

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Start firing in some pellets over the top, make some noise to get the fish looking for food. 3 or 4 pellets every 30-60 seconds.

Total

Site Supporter
Without knowing your water and going on what little information you have given us, there's been a hell a lot of cold water gone into our waterways in the last few weeks which will change the feeding habits of your fish.

It may be worth dropping down to the 'Micro' size hybrid feeder (24 gram) and upping the frequency of your casting/feeding to 5 minutes for the first 30/45 minutes (in the warmer months) and time your casts with a stop watch and note possible feeding/catching patterns and change as necessary. Cast around and look for the fish if they haven't given you any clue to their whereabouts and obviously make use of any water features both above and below the water.....

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I never wait longer than 10mins between casts other than in the dead of winter

Try playing about with the method mix, maybe all 2mm’s then 50:50 micros & groundbait up to all groundbait plus ring the changes with hookbait

My local went quiet and I found going from sweet to savoury massively changed my catch rate but now they are gradually wandering back to sweet again - used a lot of banoffee & choc orange then it was all krill and spicy sausage now finding pineapple and super scopex are triggering more & more responses

Perhaps look at maggot or worm too rather than pellets as hookbaits - free lining worm is hysterical on my local and I’m tempted to try it on a feeder or bomb soon too

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
1/2 a dozen casts at the start with a large feeder and some particles. Let the feeder hit the bottom wait 30 seconds and do it again. After the initial casts leave it in 5 minutes at a time and depending on the venue consider changing to a med/large feeder. If after 45 minutes you've had no bites leave it for 10 minutes. After another 30 minutes leave it a little longer or change to a smaller feeder. The problem with feeder fishing is some people leave it too long and don't put enough particles in the feeder to hold or make the fish compete for the bait.

In summer when fish are feeding properly it's always better to be busy by being positive and making things happen. Too many people don't work hard enough and are content to sit on their hands tip watching when in reality they should be attacking the peg in an effort to make things happen.

nejohn

Site Supporter
My 1st thoughts would be to increase the frequency of your feed, get some feed down early on in the session by making half a dozen or so casts when you just leave the feeder in long enough to empty then leaving it a little longer but for me it would be re casting at about 5-10 minute intervals. If that doesn't work I would try changing hook baits and move away from pellets with maggots, casters, worm and corn being obvious choices, maggot feeder can work very well as can a cage feeder with a loosely mixed groundbait laced with hook samples. If this still doesn't work look at scaling down hook sizes/hook lengths and also varying the length of your hook length. Also ask yourself if a feeder is the right method, if you are fishing fairly short range would a pole or waggler be a viable alternative?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
1/2 a dozen casts at the start with a large feeder and some particles. Let the feeder hit the bottom wait 30 seconds and do it again. After the initial casts leave it in 5 minutes at a time and depending on the venue consider changing to a med/large feeder. If after 45 minutes you've had no bites leave it for 10 minutes. After another 30 minutes leave it a little longer or change to a smaller feeder. The problem with feeder fishing is some people leave it too long and don't put enough particles in the feeder to hold or make the fish compete for the bait.

In summer when fish are feeding properly it's always better to be busy by being positive and making things happen. Too many people don't work hard enough and are content to sit on their hands tip watching when in reality they should be attacking the peg in an effort to make things happen.
So, the cast I made on the 2nd August ….. ya think I should reel in Dave and have another chuck ? 🤪🤪

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
One of our ponds has switched off to the method now. The fish are at least 600mm ( 2 foot for us old duffers ) off the deck now. Why not try a waggler set half depth with just a couple of number 10’s down the line ? Search out the fish. See if they have come up in the water.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
One of the best and most successfull method feeder anglers I have ever known, rarely left his feeder in after casting longer than about two minutes, if he hadnt had a wrap around by then, it was in, rebait and cast again, sometimes it looked very much like he was fly fishing, with his frequency of chucks

grey

Site Supporter
I think you need to be doing more to motivate the fish, Chris.

Try putting a half a dozen medium feeders full of feed (wet micros with a few hook sized offerings) out to start the session, then a smaller feeder every 5 mins until you start catching.

Some waters respond to ground bait, some don't. You'll know your water better than me no doubt. But if you do try ground bait laced with feed, a good start for most waters is to cast six feeders full on the bottom and six on top (drag feeder in as soon as it hits the water). This creates a good bed of feed to attract and hold the fish.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Mick not like my mate Nigel who when we were practicing on the Gloucester Canal swung a roach to hand on a top 6 only for a seagull to swoop down and take it mid air out of his hand, knocking him off his box flat on his backside in the process, leaving him playing it on his arse with 7m in the air and 20ft of No 5 elastic out.

There was only one winner - The seagull :ROFLMAO: It is probably the funniest thing I've seen.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mick not like my mate Nigel who when we were practicing on the Gloucester Canal swung a roach to hand on a top 6 only for a seagull to swoop down and take it mid air out of his hand, knocking him off his box flat on his backside in the process, leaving him playing it on his arse with 7m in the air and 20ft of No 5 elastic out.

There was only one winner - The seagull :ROFLMAO: It is probably the funniest thing I've seen.
That reminded me of when Keith Hobson hooked a seagull whilst casting a waggler into Worsborough reservoir. We were pegged on the dam head at the time. Keith cast his waggler, the gull dived and caught his bait, Keith’s waggler and line swept up into the sky, gull flew up and over Keith’s head, Keith now playing a seagull over the top of the dam head facing away from the water. We were all doubled up with laughter. 🤣🤣

And here am I. See …. Happens to the best of us. 🤣🤣 10860431-A309-4DA9-A692-776841E48809.png