Feeder fishing for Roach in Winter - would you?

davylad

I used to love winter roach fishing, it was mainly a decent chuck on the waggler. You might not get a bite until maybe dinner time, after catapulting 2 or 3 maggots quite regularly, but they usually fed at some point, even after breaking the ice some days. I might have only got half a dozen on poor days, but it was worth it.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Waggler and hemp, mid water. No more than 3 No 8 on the line,

I'd come up and show you but have to take my next door neighbour into hospital for a rescheduled Mitral Value post operation scan - Heart Catheterization - he went last week but it was cancelled after the previous person being tested took poorly. He has to be there for 07:00 hrs - worse than getting up for fishing.

Last edited:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Looking at the weather forecast its looking windy so waggler fished over depth preferably backing up against the wind with loose fed maggot at a comfortable distance or straight lead fished around the area you have been feeding regular with a few maggots.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Tiny feeder, with minimal weight or no weight on it, (if conditions allow) fished at 16mtrs, no loose offerings to start, casting every 50/60 seconds, to create some cloud in the water, then, when they switch on, waggler over the top, on the deck, 8 inches off bottom,, and another one at half depth. 👍👍👍

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Pssst Dave, did you manage to get to sleep? I didn't and neither did the two blokes above me. 😳

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Normally I'd use a waggler on the local pond, but the last few trips I've been using an inline window maggot feeder instead, mainly due to the gusty wind.

The best roach of a few on Monday afternoon was on the window feeder and double white maggot.

DSC06451.jpg

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Guaranteed a couple of bites
at least! ;-)
A couple ? It’s Dave we’re talking about here. He’s a ten pancake man. That’s when he’s not stuffing his face with chocolate eclairs. Tells me he’s on a diet. That’s some diet he’s on. 🤣🤣

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Normally I'd use a waggler on the local pond, but the last few trips I've been using an inline window maggot feeder instead, mainly due to the gusty wind.

The best roach of a few on Monday afternoon was on the window feeder and double white maggot.

DSC06451.jpg
That is a cracking roach. I love fish like that. Well done.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I would probably fish waggler and loose feed with maggots, or the maggot feeder, depending on conditions. I probably wouldn't use groundbait, unless I wasn't getting any bites, or I was only catching tiny fish. If that was the case I would mix up some groundbait, and either put about 3 balls in ,and fish waggler over the top, or put a cage feeder on. I would try and have a separate line from the one I've been loose feeding on, and keep feeding the loose feed line, in case the groundbait line doesn't work, and the fish eventually switch on over the loosefeed. If the margins are quite deep, I would also loosefeed a line there, and wait a while before giving it a go with a waggler, especially if there is a bit of bankside cover, because I often notice roach holed up in the margins under bushes.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I would set up 2 waggler rods one with a bulk shot near the hooklength and one for fishing on the drop, bait wise it would be maggot, caster and maybe bread punch if not casting to far with maybe some red worms as a change bait. I might also set a whip up again depending on distance but this is only because I quite enjoy fishing the whip. If conditions are really bad or you need a longer chuck to find the fish then a maggot feeder would not be a bad idea

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
A couple ? It’s Dave we’re talking about here. He’s a ten pancake man. That’s when he’s not stuffing his face with chocolate eclairs. Tells me he’s on a diet. That’s some diet he’s on. 🤣🤣
Maybe it's a 'Sea food' diet. See food and eat it!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you made up your mind @Dave

what feeder rig will you be bunging in your search for the redfins,

will you chuck the wag maybe indeed,

or just get the pole out

Zerkalo

I'd set up a waggler and a feeder if I had a decent Roach venue to fish, even if the pole might out fish it, I prefer rod and line fishing at the moment. But I don't have any lakes with decent Roach. Tried the heli rig for Roach last year and came back with 13 Tench, a big Common, and only 2 Roach.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm swaying towards a small cage feeder with groundbait and maggot, on a short feeder link with an 18inch hooklength with single maggot to a 20 or 18.
Along with my trusty Drennan float rod, ABU501 , and a Drennan Stillwater Blue set about 4inch over depth but the shot button'ed down the line to check for fish on the drop. Maggot or Bread punch ... and leave the pole at home ;)

Nice steady away and relaxing fishing.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I'm swaying towards a small cage feeder with groundbait and maggot, on a short feeder link with an 18inch hooklength with single maggot to a 20 or 18.
Along with my trusty Drennan float rod, ABU501 , and a Drennan Stillwater Blue set about 4inch over depth but the shot button'ed down the line to check for fish on the drop. Maggot or Bread punch ... and leave the pole at home ;)

Nice steady away and relaxing fishing.
If it’s deep water, sometimes a 3/4ft hooklengh with floating maggots can be deadly😉