Feeder choice for deeper water.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Change from a flat bed method to a small finned and use a sticky method mix groundbait and a few pellets.
One of the tricks we use sometimes is to partially form the shape and then enclose a few maggots in the middle.
The feeder will be on the deck before they break up the groundbait.👍

Silver fan 82

Change from a flat bed method to a small finned and use a sticky method mix groundbait and a few pellets.
One of the tricks we use sometimes is to partially form the shape and then enclose a few maggots in the middle.
The feeder will be on the deck before they break up the groundbait.👍
Like this idea Lee.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Some of the dedicated method mixes can be mixed to be quite firm, sonu, hemp and hali crush is one example, but too stiff and it defeats the object of using a method feeder in this situation, so alternative feeders are one option. In that i would include the old style emstad method feeders that had a ribded frame to support the bait better. These were advanced into and kind of replaced in the speci world by the rocket type ones, used nowadays helicopter style, but still with a hole centrally in the base if you wish to set up in line and weighted on one side for you to tuck your hookbait in the opposite to it. Hali type or trout type pellets wetted down and with some groundbait stick well to these.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
All depends how you want to use the method Chris.
I am quite happy to use a very sticky mix that will take 10/20 mins to break down and the fish will attack the feeder.
A fishy mix is best for this as it's pumping attractant into the water which will pull the fish in.
I use below sometimes and all the weight is provided by the feed.
You know when that has all fallen off and on harder waters the "virtually freelining" can make a difference.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Yes, used similar Keith, they look good too. Have some with the lead on the inside and the wire frame around it.

Silver fan 82

All depends how you want to use the method Chris.
I am quite happy to use a very sticky mix that will take 10/20 mins to break down and the fish will attack the feeder.
A fishy mix is best for this as it's pumping attractant into the water which will pull the fish in.
I use below sometimes and all the weight is provided by the feed.
You know when that has all fallen off and on harder waters the "virtually freelining" can make a difference.
I have a couple of these style feeders but have never used them. Was kind of an impulse buy lol! I have been wondering do you tuck the hook link into the method ball as usual or leave it free? The ones I have aren't weighted on the one side so wasn't sure how this would affect presentation if the hook link was tucked in?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I tend to either use a 4" hook length and don't tuck it in or trap the line and leave the bait free just sitting.
On one of the pools I fish it's spring fed and so unbelievably clear can see the gravel bottom three rod lengths out.
Sometimes you can see even the Bream and Roach hitting the feeder to get at the feed so I don't worry too much about if the bait is on the underside.
Tend to move the feeder a little anyway midway through how long I plan to leave it so as to dislodge any remaining feed and incite a bite.