Feeder choice for deeper water.

Silver fan 82

Has anyone had any success fishing the method feeder in deep water, say up to 12 ft in the deepest swims?
I've never used the method in deeper swims as I always understood it was more effective in shallower water as the groundbait disintigates too quickly in deep water?
Would I be wasting my time or should I stick to the usual cage or open ended feeder approach?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I did use a method feeder in a 20ft deep reservoir back in the closed season. Caught a few good bream eventually but as it took a while I suspect the bait was breaking off too soon and spreading it around too much. Cage and open end wouldn’t cast far enough that day.

Black cap seemed quite effective and certainly has been for me in rivers over 10ft. Regardless of depth I use maggot feeders like black caps, windows and feeder bombs for most my groundbait fishing as it stops too much coming out on the drop better than any other feeder I’ve tried without packing it so tight that it takes ages to come out.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Wondered this myself before as I never fish the method and wanted to know if it was worth trying and was told it wasn't as bait will come off too soon.

I've found I can get away with a cage feeder if I pack pellets in, for other baits like chopped worm, maggots etc I prefer an open end for Bream especially. I've also got some window feeders I bought by accident that I plan to try this week for the first time.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
In 12 feet you may possibly get away with a hybrid but, I think you are wasting your time with a method matey. If it’s down to fishery rules ( in - line feeders only ) then what I have done in the past is to Araldite a Preston quick change ( or similar ) to an open end feeder. Just a thought.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Hybrid feeder, will insure the bait stays on.... At Clattercote a few years ago, we were fishing a method in 25ft +,but we were putting the whole made up feeder in a PVA bag to insure it got to the bottom intact, nowadays the hybrid does this

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Hybrid feeder, will insure the bait stays on.... At Clattercote a few years ago, we were fishing a method in 25ft +,but we were putting the whole made up feeder in a PVA bag to insure it got to the bottom intact, nowadays the hybrid does this

Beat me to it, was gonna say pop it in a pva bag 😆

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

That’s pretty ingenious wish I’d thought of that! Got to love a clever bodge job 👍🏻

endpeg

Site Supporter
Or a PVA bag on a method feeder!
Personally I would use a Pellet Feeder if I wanted a short hooklength or to fish traditionally a Window Feeder.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Like these :D

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have thought about trying pva bags for sea fishing but I’m not sure how far down they’d make it before breaking up. Maybe doable on shallow marks though.

Silver fan 82

Thanks for the replies guys.
What I think Ill try is taking some hybrid feeders with me and the usual open ended feeders. If the hybrids don't work too well then Ill change to an open ended or cage.

rudd

Site Supporter
I use method in up to 20ft no problem. Specimen fishing.
You need to adjust mix to make it sticky to reach bottom.
I use 3mm pellets, over soaked, squished into almost a paste and stick it on feeder.
Pellets take around 4-5 mins to break down back into pellets (in margin).
It also stops hoards of silvers eating the lot until a lump arrives!

Silver fan 82

I use method in up to 20ft no problem. Specimen fishing.
You need to adjust mix to make it sticky to reach bottom.
I use 3mm pellets, over soaked, squished into almost a paste and stick it on feeder.
Pellets take around 4-5 mins to break down back into pellets (in margin).
It also stops hoards of silvers eating the lot until a lump arrives!
I was wondering if I made the mix extra sticky it may work.
Do you just use pellets or groundbait too?

rudd

Site Supporter
I was wondering if I made the mix extra sticky it may work.
Do you just use pellets or groundbait too?
Usually just pellets but sometimes add groundbait.
My groundbait is home made from brown crumb / fishmeal so can mix 70fm/30bc to make it sticky, also.depending on time of year add rocksalt/betain/spices etc.

Silver fan 82

Usually just pellets but sometimes add groundbait.
My groundbait is home made from brown crumb / fishmeal so can mix 70fm/30bc to make it sticky, also.depending on time of year add rocksalt/betain/spices etc.
I might try it with one of the big ESP mega feeders, if not can always go back to the open ended feeder.

rudd

Site Supporter
I might try it with one of the big ESP mega feeders, if not can always go back to the open ended feeder.
Big sticky carp feeders - the method has been refined but what goes around comes around.
Used to make a sticky mix with partiblend in it.

Silver fan 82

Big sticky carp feeders - the method has been refined but what goes around comes around.
Used to make a sticky mix with partiblend in it.
I like the mega feeders because you can get quite a bit of bait down on the deck. Whether it makes a difference compared to your average method feeder I dunno but I guess it's a confidence thing.