Feeder/bomb fishing the first hour

Maverick

Site Supporter
Scenario we have all faced many times, you're fishing a line using either the method/hybrid feeder/bomb where you can catapult pellets over it.

During the first hour you have fed about a pint of pellets without any liners or bites, do you stop feeding, thinking there is enough bait down there, or do you just cut back a bit and continue to feed it?

At what point do you give up on that line and think its time to go further out beyond catapult range and would you then just rely on the bait in the hybrid feeder or will you already have boshed some bait out there earlier with a large bait up feeder?

Maverick

Site Supporter
Fair point. The reason I have been feeding like that at the start is because I have heard so many people say you have to keep the bait going in to make some noise as the fish respond to the noise and also its putting a bed of bait down if the carp move in.

I should have mentioned this is a commercial full of decent size carp no F1s.

Silure

Site Supporter
I fished a lake last week doing exactly as you have said and did not get a fish for over an hour, then they found the feed and it was none stop for the next five hours. The lake in question is over 300 hundred acres so it takes a while to find the fish or the fish to find the food!

Stufish

Why would you catapult feed over a method feeder? I thought the whole idea was to get the fish concentrated on the little pile of feed in the feeder.

JLK

Have you tried fishing a pellet waggler on the same line?
Start at full depth still feeding 2/3 pellets at a time over the top. If there are carp there you should start to see line bites or at the very least start catching an odd one, which should dictate your next course of action, as in shallowing up a bit at a time etc.
Or..if not catching start a new line else where but keep feeding the original line and keep having the odd look.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
This is an age old dilemma, especially on the bream waters before the advent of the commercials. Personaly I like to put a carpet of feed down first, with a catapult, where allowed and then fish a straight lead over it. If you can only g/bait with a feeder then I would be constantly casting until I had got the bed down and then not feed again for an hour. The splash of the feeder should attract the carp and therefore, if you have plenty of bait already in there, you should not need to 'drip feed'

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
As mentioned by others it can pay to continue on one line and hope the fish turn up.
This time of year onwards though they might be more reluctant to move around and unless you get lucky and drop on fish, you could be a long way or just far away enough to make a difference. (but they are starving and easy to catch don't forget :unsure::D )
You could get around this by trying different lines and now again drop back on the original line to keep topping or rotate the feeder on a series of lines until one proves to be fruitful.

Silver fan 82

It could also have been that as you were fishing a feeder and feeding pellets over the top that you were drawing the fish up in the water to feed rather than concentrating them on the bottom where your feeder and groundbait / pellet mix was.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I would have used the same tactics, but changed the bait. If they weren't taking pellet, then swap to worm, or tail end of worm tipped with a maggot. Worm and caster cocktail has caught me fish when other baits have failed to produce.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I would have used the same tactics, but changed the bait. If they weren't taking pellet, then swap to worm, or tail end of worm tipped with a maggot. Worm and caster cocktail has caught me fish when other baits have failed to produce.
You're showing your pedigree there mate👍

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Rather than 4 or 5 pellets every 30 seconds I would continue to feed big pouchfuls every 2 minutes to keep the fish down. Its having the confidence to sit and wait for the fish to move over your feed.