Feeder / Barbel rod......

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlythMags

I'm after either the Masterline Avon Quiver or I quite like the look of the 'Shimano Hyperloop Barbel XT?

And, while I'm on - any advice on an inexpensive free-spool reel to suit the rod?

I currently own a couple of Okuma baitrunners (the model escapes me) that I use for carping. Excellent reels when used with 2.5 / 3lb TC rods, but they seem too bulky for barbel / feeder fishing.

Any nice 035 sized free-spool reels out there for under 50?

Cheers

Alan

Lid

RE the rod - I've got a Masterline Avon Quiver and yesterday I caught my first decent fish that 'go' on it - a couple of barbel around 5lbs and a 7lbs mirror. Admittedly I was fishing a stretch of wild weedy river barely 12' wide with 5lbs b/s line, but it just didn't seem to be able to give the fish enough stick. At points during the fights the rod was bent absolutely double - practically had the tip ring in my hand. I also lost another fish - probably a carp - which I just could not get any semblance of control over before it shed the hook.

If that's 1.25 lbs test curve then it ain't enough, so if it was me, I'd look at the Shimano, assuming it's more powerful!!

As to the reels, Okuma do the Interceptor baitrunner in smaller sizes too.

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Lid. I have used my John Wilson avon for floater fishing for carp and taken them to just over 16lb. This on a lake where I had beds of lilies to put up with to. I did use it on the Severn but admittidly it wasnt capable of casting a big feeder across the river. I have taken barbel to over 7lb on it and never felt out of control.
Blyth as I said on another post the hyperloop xt is 1.75lb tc and comes with 3 tops 2 fixed quivers and a normale top. If your looking for an avon rod then the hyperloop classic with a 1.5lb TC may be more suitable.

I have a hyperloop XT but not had the chance to use it yet. The first chance looks like being the Trent fishin.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
I bought a hyperloop Xt also but haven't had chance to use it yet either. Feels like a nice rod though.

Matt

Lid

Esox, would you feel comfortable using your JW Avon on a 7lbs barbel on the Penk? That's what my little wild stretch of the Lea is like.

My swim is in front of a big raft of snags with reed bed either side and narrowing to about 8 feet wide at the downstream end! I strike gently and the fish start off slow and calm. Then suddenly they get the hump and just tear all over the little pool, ripping line off my ageing Mitchell 300 and ignoring any power in the rod. Good fun though!!

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Lid yes I would. I have used a Diawa avon rod that I reckon is more like 1lb TC. I have used this on the upper severn to take chub to over 5 and Barbel to over 7. On the Penk chub to over 3. The only time I used my JW avon on the Penk was when I night fished it when the season opened. The chub I caught that night were out gunned by the rod.
I might as well admit here and now that I am sold 100% on the JW avon,but I do know its limits. It will not throw a big feeder across the Severn at Shrewsbury and when the rivers in flood it cant handle the big leads. It will however cope with the fish.
Its only due to the changes made in the methods I know use on the Severn that has made me go to a heavier TC.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Lid

Cheers John ..... and sorry for hijacking your thread BlythMags!!

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
try the diawa porky pig range matey as good as it gets for the old whiskers and it ill toss anything you want across the river no probs its just a choice but for that sort of fishing on the rivers or to tame the big lumps in the carp waters its the dogs b####cks mate and have been round for donkeys years just take a peak [:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.