Feeder - 2 rods - how to arrange peg

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Bear with me, I’m newly returning to fishing and have never had 2 rods on the go at once.

Let’s say my two target areas are at 12o’clock and 10o’clock as you look out from the peg.

Previously (when fishing 1 rod only) I would have my rod tip pointing at 2 o’clock if fishing straight ahead, and 12/1 o clock if fishing to the 10 o’clock spot.

Fishing two rods at the same time, where should my tips point? I’m concerned about getting myself in a pickle, especially when I get a fish on the line. How do I stop the 2 lines crossing if the fish goes off on one?

Should I have one rod each side of my chair, meaning two rests etc? Should I even have 2 feeder rods in at the same time?

thanks in advance, and apologies if this is a really dim question....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
To be honest I'd just fish the one rod... far easier to manage and far easier to cope with if the fish are having it... if your concentration is away from one rod while you bait up the other and you get a bite there'll be a mess... far better to stick to one rod.....

WickerDave

Site Supporter
There’s no reason why you can’t fish two feeder rods if you want to. I usually fish with two rods with different methods on each, so rarely with two feeder/leger rods. Have them both on the same side of you so that you can watch the tips properly and don’t have to swap hands, and with both on a bait runner. The o’clock positions you mentioned sound fine especially if your seat is at an angle away from straight ahead, having the outside rod slightly forward of the inside rod may also help. Try to play the fish away from the other rod, or move the line of the other rod away from the first with the non-rod hand early in the fight if you can. You’ll probably still get the odd tangle. If you are getting lots of bites or double hook ups then drop down to one rod.

Something a bit like this…

DSC05231.JPG

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I can understand using multiple rods when bites are at a premium as with speci carp. But for normal fishing, particularly if you are already concerned about the problems, I see no point in using two rods.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
On the rare occassion l use two rods on alarms l keep them as far apart as possible preferring bank sticks to a pod. 1 rod each side of the peg to keep the lines as far apart as possible to minimise the chances of my lines crossing and tangling and to give me space to land and play fish.

squimp

Site Supporter
I sometimes fish 2 rods; but only on low stock venues - to minimise the chance of both rods going at once. I simply use buzzer bars, so one rod rest and a bar that takes 2 rods.

If you are getting double takes or tangling up, the sensible thing to do is revert to one rod Only.

Total

Site Supporter
On the rare occassion l use two rods on alarms l keep them as far apart as possible preferring bank sticks to a pod. 1 rod each side of the peg to keep the lines as far apart as possible to minimise the chances of my lines crossing and tangling and to give me space to land and play fish.

^^ Ditto here too....(y)......But I still have to be careful when casting out in case I hook up on another rod! :whistle:;):ROFLMAO:

John Step

Site Supporter
If its speci wait for a run/bite type of situation OK. However if its a heavier stocked carpy type water with plenty of pull rounds you are asking for trouble with lack of concentration. Both will inevitably roar off when you have a coffee in your hand.
You certainly wont catch more if that is the case.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I did say it may be a thicko question.....

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

Having just bought a second feeder rod and reel imagining being able to have both in play simultaneously, I feel slightly embarrassed now......

I'm sure it won't be the last time that happens

commieboy257

having had the rod fly out of the rests on more than one occasion and me pulling off a save worthy of the Premiership I never fish more than one rod at a time.

bettsfan

If you are concerned you will get in a pickle, rest assured you will ;) Personally I will only consider 2 rods when the swim allows it , and probably wouldn't fish them at the same distance. On most lakes 1 is sufficient, I fish with 2 on the Severn, but the stretch on the Wye I fish only allows 1 rod anyway

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Set one rod up with a feeder and the other rod up with a longer hooklength and a bomb (leger) . Fish the feeder rod to introduce bait into the swim and occasionally drop the bomb rod in it's place.

The feeder rod needs a hooklength no more than about 6inches, the bomb rod up to 18inches. It can work well especially if the fish are feeding off the loose stuff and ignoring the feeder.

Use the two rods one at a time but as above, set up differently

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
having had the rod fly out of the rests on more than one occasion and me pulling off a save worthy of the Premiership I never fish more than one rod at a time.
sadly I have made a few saves but also lost a rod and reel ( Tricast and stradic reel ) butt of rod was trapped between my elbow and tummy while catapulting )
I have also lost a topkit and short 4 while opening a bag of casters ( only lightly holding pole )

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Think how you are going to fish the peg and then think about how you will set your rods up.
If you are fishing close to cover or have cover around you then consider how you will play the fish when they are close to the bank and how you will net them.
If I can on a still I will have two rods out and a landing net either side of each rod.
If the peg allows I will then try to take the hooked fish away from the other rod so as not to disturb it and avoid any tangles.

On a river I like to keep working the swim and I will have one rod out "fishing" the main flow and another closer in fishing the margin shelf,rarely have two out in the same area as it can get "messy" and I would hate to lose a good fish by an over complication.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I did say it may be a thicko question.....

Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

Having just bought a second feeder rod and reel imagining being able to have both in play simultaneously, I feel slightly embarrassed now......

I'm sure it won't be the last time that happens
No need to feel embarrassed mate. Keep asking, someone on here will always answer. 👍

TimFB

I like to try different methods, so usually fish two rods where I can. Once you get used to it, it’s not too much drama, but it depends on the venue...and how many fish are present. I never use an alarm!

PureGenius

This is a a setup I use on my local pit for the tench, where bites are not too forthcoming, if I do get a bite on 1 rod then move the other rod so line slackens and just lay on the ground so less chance of tangling up DSC_1257.JPG

rudd

Site Supporter
Rod pod, alarms, bobbins and baitrunners if using two rods😉