Favourite method for trout

IEatSand

Hey all, just curious on what your favourite method of trout fishing is (spinner, lure, maggot float, fly ect) i'm thinking of buying a fly rod but just wondering if i can catch as much with a spinner rod.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well where allowed maggot under a float is by far the most effective but if you really want to get into trout you’ll need a fly rod to be allowed most places they live

BarryS

Gone fishing
There is a real joy to casting a fly with a fly line........and you can cover a moving trout and change direction so much faster than using a fixed spool reel.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
On the serious side: Freelining with a worm in the business end. Bolorod or similar, old flyreel (or centrepin) with backing and three or four meters of mono, preferably fluorocarbon and a hook. No splitshots. From boat, from the shore, on lakes and on rivers. Like my grandpa did, and my father, after him.

James5769

On my local stretch of the Yorkshire Derwent there are so many trout you will basically catch nothing else apart from the very odd grayling. The simplest tactic is simply free lined corn, and it’s a fish a chuck, honestly they absolutely plague the water here, there is simply so many that no other species really have a chance at living here.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
On my local stretch of the Yorkshire Derwent there are so many trout you will basically catch nothing else apart from the very odd grayling. The simplest tactic is simply free lined corn, and it’s a fish a chuck, honestly they absolutely plague the water here, there is simply so many that no other species really have a chance at living here.
Must be well upstream of Kirkham Priory then James, I've only ever had one trout on the Derwent and that was at Howsham.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Hey all, just curious on what your favourite method of trout fishing is (spinner, lure, maggot float, fly ect) i'm thinking of buying a fly rod but just wondering if i can catch as much with a spinner rod.
My favourite is Dry Fly.
NO, you will not catch as much with a spinner rod is the short answer. The reason being you will be narrowing your chances down to catching mainly larger fish that would be feeding on other fish. So if it is the specimen fish you want to target then YES probably the spinner will be better but you will not catch as many as fly fishing, once you have mastered the art of fly fishing that is. Fly fishing is broken down into 4 main skills of Dry Fly, Wet Fly, Nynph and Lure fishing so it becomes much more diverse than spinning and generally the bigger the fly the bigger the fish you will catch using hook sizes from as small as 22 up to huge great 6/0 for Pike.
So really you have to make the personal choice of... is it mainly the larger fish you want to catch or would you want to catch all sizes in general? But like all predatory fish you will find some that will bite off more than they can chew.

James5769

Must be well upstream of Kirkham Priory then James, I've only ever had one trout on the Derwent and that was at Howsham.
More than 20+ miles upstream hahaha. Honestly it is absolutely plagued with them where I am. There aren’t even any pike left in the stretch. Only fish I’ve seen come out are brownies, grayling, minnow and I saw a rainbow get pulled out once. I have heard of the odd perch but no roach, dace, chub or anything else you’d expect unfortunately.

centerpin fan

I catch a lot of trout with a spinning rod and light jigs. Most of my trout fishing is done during winter, so short sessions are the norm. I take one spinning rod and a small box of jigs, usually soft plastics. Trout love ‘em.

Yeoman

Got to be fly, imo.
I catch plenty on other methods as by catch, but the best sport is definitely with the fly.
On it's day it can be deadly as well.
As to Spinner being more effective, I'm not so sure, especially if you get the hang of euro nymphing and have the right water to fish it. I've had eye watering numbers of trout and grayling some days using this method, but personally much prefer getting them on the dry fly.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
My favourite is Fly fishing: all ways Dry/Euro Nymphing and streamers...On rivers you can fish just about all depths of water from 6 inches fast streamy stuff with boulders everywhere to deep pools. As above euro nymphing in the right conditions and water is very effective., not lazy fishing as you have to think at the speed of the water you're in. Same for stillwaters too, with a variety of flylines you can search for them everywhere from the surface to the bottom.

BarryS

Gone fishing
My favourite is Fly fishing: all ways Dry/Euro Nymphing and streamers...On rivers you can fish just about all depths of water from 6 inches fast streamy stuff with boulders everywhere to deep pools. As above euro nymphing in the right conditions and water is very effective., not lazy fishing as you have to think at the speed of the water you're in. Same for stillwaters too, with a variety of flylines you can search for them everywhere from the surface to the bottom.
There is such a joy about casting a fly with a fly line. I was lucky enough to be taught to cast by the legendary Donald Downs I still remember the day he told me to feel the action of the rod. When my mates and I took up flyfishing....we were all coarse anglers .........we used to meet in a field just to practice our casting. Then one day it clicks and you are off.
I went on to tournament casting and won a couple of events. I always wanted to cast 50 yds with a fly......but my best was 49 yds 6ins. ..and that was with a shooting head and a very beefy rod.
These days I fly fish for carp........and love it.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Can’t disagree with any of that! Like you said when you know your action and flyline it’s a joy. Learning the double haul was a revelation for me as was Spey Casting with a double hander in the river…good casting can really help can’t it? Not only distance but things like roll casts and snake rolls…so handy. The only method (for trout) that I’m not so keen on is downstream wets…all that drag just annoys me and I feel like I’m pulling out of the fishes mouth anyway. I much prefer fishing upstream and feel a lot more in control and confident. I do realise I may not be going about downstream fishing correctly though!😄