favourite hook manufacturer

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
Which make/pattern/size of hook do people rate. I am thinking of going over to Drennan for all my course fishing. At the moment I have allsorts in my hook box and I am trying to simplify the patterns I carry.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Kamasan B911, B911 F1, B911 x-strong. All from size 18 to size 8, Size used depends on target species. They are the only hooks in my tackle box.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Ditto. I only use Kamasan B911 and B911X, I've never felt the need to try anything else and I can't get any simpler than that.

feldri

Site Supporter
Kamasan and Drennan. All sizes from 24 to 12. Don't fish for carp so don't need any bigger.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Different hooks for different jobs for me, Guru F1 and Gamakatsu Green for silvers, Guru LWG, Kamasan B960, Preston KKMB and Guru XS for carp. The only other one is if am targeting perch, got a lot of confidence in the Drennan Red Carp Maggot hook.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Favourite pattern now I have almost run out of my stock of mustard 90340's is probably tubertini 808's, I do however quite like the Drennan red maggot hooks

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
None of them actually manufacture hooks apart from Owner and Gamakatsu they are all bought in and subject to slight changes by who manufactures them.
I would never limit myself to one brand only as some patterns suit better than others on different styles and venues.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mustard canal seed.
Kamasan 911
Maver ES41
Preston PR36

As Ken says. You shouldn't limit yourself.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I use Drennan as often as not. However, I supplement them with Browning, Guru and Kamasan at times. I've yet to find one manufacturer that could cover every hook pattern and size that I'd like to have. I'll never willingly restrict myself to just one brand.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Used to be mustard but have used many brands, I look for the shape, bend, shank length and thickness of wire and shape of spade. If l find two that are equal then I normally go for the one with the smallest spade , give a pack a try if good then thats the one.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Kamasan as I know the patterns

B511,611 - silvers
B560 - bream
B911 - carp
B911 eyed - hair rigs

Stood the test of time - Other brands change too often.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Kamasan B560 for Feeder Fishing & B711 for larger fish on the Float
The awesome fine Black Nickel but strong Sensas 3405 for Bread Punch, Canal & River Silvers.
Dace can't shake the 3405 once hooked!

Freesolo82

I like to experiment with different hooks and lately have been using colmic and sensas patterns

rudd

Site Supporter
Which make/pattern/size of hook do people rate. I am thinking of going over to Drennan for all my course fishing. At the moment I have allsorts in my hook box and I am trying to simplify the patterns I carry.
To many to list - there is no best brand / type / gape or size.
There is confidence, thats what counts.

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
Kamasan as I know the patterns

B511,611 - silvers
B560 - bream
B911 - carp
B911 eyed - hair rigs

Stood the test of time - Other brands change too often.
Do you have any problems using the B911 for hair rigs as the eye isn't turned out?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Andy the grandad

I also use the B911 eyed for hair rigs, and don't have problems with the eye. I do use a small piece of heat shrink tubing though to cover both eye and shank. This is in case on a rare occasion when I need to use forceps to remove the hook. The heat shrink tubing protects the line from being damaged by the forceps and keeps the hair in line with the shank.

Fishy Medic

I use a lot of guru patterns. Have a lot of B911 F1 which I like too. Use the Preston N20 pattern for my natural waters

Last edited: