Favourite Books / Book Series?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who likes to sit down and invest an hour or two a day into another world via reading.
I'm currently on another re-read of a Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin (A Game Of Thrones) and it's a world I'm really passionate about which I hope readers get a real ending to after the TV Series disappointing ending.

I guess I'm just a sucker for fantasy in general actually.
So, Anybody else a bookworm? whatd you suggest?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m a fantasy fan as well. I love Patricia McKillip books. She’s my favourite author. Along with Michael Moorcock.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Never get the chance to do much reading now but when I'm on holiday, I love books by Harlan Coben. I get on the wife's nerves because I can't put them down. Suspense thrillers.
Also a big fan of Wilbur Smith books, a family dynasty through the ages in Africa mainly. Boer War, Zulu Wars & all that.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
the saga of the exiles series, including the prolouge by Julian May

along with the grandfather of them all, the lord of the rings, the simarrilion by JRR Tolkien

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Another fan of Rebus books, in fact, any detective/police procedure books.
I also read a lot of Sc Fi.
TBH, I read just about anything that is available and always have done from childhood. I currently finish a book pretty much every day. I select free ebooks from Amazon and download them onto a Kindle to read.

Newlease

Site Supporter
The Harry Bosch series of books by Michael Connelly. The Jack Reacher books by Lee Childs, though his last couple of books have been disappointing.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mainly crime and adventure books.

I like the Bosch series of books

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like Crime Fiction. Anything by Jim Thompson or James Elroy's L.A. Quartet.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Terry Pratchett, Ian M Banks, Chris Yates, Aldiss, A,C, Clarke... I read about 2 books per week

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell and the Pern novels of Anne McCaffrey. Two of my absolute go-to series.

Old now but Dick Francis (or his wife?) wrote very good crime mysteries.

And of course Dickens.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
'The Harry Bosch series of books by Michael Connelly '

I'm reading one at the moment,favourite book of all time has to be Birdsong by Sebastion Faulkes,I don't normally read war fiction but this one is outstanding,I manage to read three books a fortnight from the local library,mainly in the toilet ! or in bed.

davepellet

Been reading a lot in the last year or so
some of the better ones...
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Smiley's People
The spy who came in from the cold (I've read a lot of John le carre books)
Ice station zebra
The 39 steps
The four feathers
the hound of the baskervilles
Dracula
King Solomon's mines

Currently reading Day of the jackal

next few already lined up are
HG Wells - the time machine & the island of dr moreau
all quiet on the western front
boys from Brazil...

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I’m a fantasy fan as well. I love Patricia McKillip books. She’s my favourite author. Along with Michael Moorcock.
Never heard of Michael Moorcock but I had heard of Patricia Mckillip which reminds me I wanted to pick up a book of hers but completely forgot a time ago now. Just went ahead and made the purchase now on eBay before I forget again.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Mainly crime and adventure books.

I like the Bosch series of books

I like Crime Fiction. Anything by Jim Thompson or James Elroy's L.A. Quartet.

Also really enjoy crime / crime fiction books. I don't read nearly enough though.

Used to read LOTR every year, religiously. Never picked up the Simarillion though.

I really want to get through LOTR but never got round to it, Im surprised to see that all three books only contain about 1200 pages also, I thought it was a lot more. Will certainly start them after my current read of ASOIAF.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I really want to get through LOTR but never got round to it, Im surprised to see that all three books only contain about 1200 pages also, I thought it was a lot more. Will certainly start them after my current read of ASOIAF.
Lord of the Rings is actually made up of 3 books.....Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers & Return of the King. There's probably a few volumes around that contain all three but usually you have to buy the three separately now.

davepellet

the hobbit is a good, easy read
its a long time since I read LOTR but struggled thru the middle & latter sages
struggled with clockwork orange too, didn't get on with the style of text