Faux pas or not Faux pas ???

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have just been informed by a person of more generous chest proportions than me

that eating Jacobs creme crackers spread liberally with Old English thick cut Marmalade, and Strawberry conserve is not "The done thing"

That they are meant for eating with more savoury stuff ( I also have some with various cheeses and sliced sausage)

I never knew there were "Rules" about it ??????

Billy the fish 1954

I have just been informed by a person of more generous chest proportions than me

that eating Jacobs creme crackers spread liberally with Old English thick cut Marmalade, and Strawberry conserve is not "The done thing"

That they are meant for eating with more savoury stuff ( I also have some with various cheeses and sliced sausage)

Cheese and chilli piccalilly

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
If your good lady says so, then no point arguing, just say "Sorry Dear" and look suitably remorseful.:LOL:

JayBee

Site Supporter

Is your shrink not available to give online advice?.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I think it is fine to put sweet or savoury on them. Various cheeses being my personal favourite.

But to my mind a real faux pas is to butter them first.
The only time they should be buttered is if you are not adding anything else.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I am of more of a savoury disposition but would not feel inclined to make adding jam or marmalade a criminal offence.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think it is fine to put sweet or savoury on them. Various cheeses being my personal favourite.

But to my mind a real faux pas is to butter them first.
The only time they should be buttered is if you are not adding anything else.

Yeah...right. I always butter mine regardless of whether it's jam or cheese going on them. Too dry without.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I remember a bet in the pub many moons a go that was to eat 8 cream crackers in 5 minutes without a drink. Bets were flying around and there were 2 participents for said challenge. None of them managed 5 but it was hilarious watching them try.... :eek:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I remember a bet in the pub many moons a go that was to eat 8 cream crackers in 5 minutes without a drink. Bets were flying around and there were 2 participents for said challenge. None of them managed 5 but it was hilarious watching them try.... :eek:
Yeah, I’ve tried that. It’s absolutely impossible.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

Crumbs!

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
A platter of about 8 cream crackers, a hunk of strong cheddar, some stilton and maybe some brie or camembert and a knife. (y)

NO BUTTER !!! :mad:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
cant be doing with the Brie,( its the texture, not taste) though the rest is quite nice