Fat leg

62tucker

Site Supporter
Got stung off a wasp yesterday just below the knee. Nowt seriously and not much pain. Today woke up and whole leg is fat at out. Swollen and sore to touch. Any advice
Took antihistamine. Paracetamol and ibuprofen

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sounds like you have developed an allergy to the sting. You may need an antihistamine injection. The over the counter ones may not be strong enough. At the very least, keep the leg raised when you are in bed, it may help to drain the fluid from the leg.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
You have my sympathy. I got stung by a wasp on my forearm last year, thought nothing of it until the next day when my forearm looked like Popeye's. Went to a pharmacist who sent me to the GP who plied me with antibiotics.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Get yourself seen to be on the safe side. It'll be harmless at the moment but can progress to a far more serious condition called Cellutitis quite quickly.

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
Get yourself seen to be on the safe side. It'll be harmless at the moment but can progress to a far more serious condition called Cellutitis quite quickly.

Sister in law had that 2 weeks ago from something that bit her in the garden.

The whole of her calf was swollen and bright red.

She ended up in hospital for 3 days on drips and was given antibiotics on release.

Get it seen too.(y)

feldri

Site Supporter
I remember a few years ago I was playing in a mixed doubles golf match. I was on the 2nd tee when I noticed a wasp had landed on the glove on my left hand. Went to shake it off and the little git stung me. I cursed (as you do) and one of the women I was playing with asked what was up. I told her and she went to her golf bag and came back with a small sachet of vinegar, like what you see in cafes. Took my glove off and she poured some of the vinegar onto the sting and rubbed it in. Pain went almost immediately and I finished the round. Next day I couldn't even tell I'd been stung.
Apparently the acid in the vinegar neutralises the venom in the sting. Always carry 2 or 3 sachets with me when I go fishing and have got a couple in the car.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
If i get stung by a wasp or Bee its to the hospital for a Injection, a few week Back i got bit by a Horse Fly and it swelled and Blistered, i sent a Photo to my Daughter who works for the NHS and without even seeing my Dr i got prescribed Antibiotics, get it checked mate (y)(y)

pies

Site Supporter
Bloke next to me in hospital was put on an assortment of drips. Phone 111 or gp

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Doctor ASAP - if you’ve reacted that severely you’ll need heavy duty antihistamines and possibly IV antibiotics

Don't mess about and get it seen to

62tucker

Site Supporter
I got stung off a wasp a few months back on my neck. No reaction at all that’s why I finding it strange. I away for long weekend so I see what’s its line tomorrow and take it from there. If still fat I phone docs. 👍. Thank for advice and concerns 👍👍

JLK

You should draw a pen mark around the edge of the swelling. If the swelling gets worse and goes beyond the pen mark get yourself off to A and E. If it's cellulitis and gets worse, it can lead to death.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Phoned doctors on Tuesday morning and a doctor phoned me back within 1 hr. explained what had happened and she wanted photos, so the docs sent me a link and I sent 4 photos. Doc phoned back about 2 hrs later and said carry on with antihistamines but didn’t think she needed to see me in person 🤷‍♂️. Keep a eye on it and if no better in a week or it gets worse I got to contact them again. To be fair it’s give me no problems for last 2 days but is still fatter than other leg. I have got permanent marker on 2 spots on each leg and been measuring them
Wasp leg 26cm 39cm
None sting leg 23cm 37 cm
Looks like a donner kebab next to a chicken kebab in a takeaway

62tucker

Site Supporter
Doc said as I had been bit off a wasp a few weeks ago the body reacts differently a 2nd time and try’s to protect itself better. Hence more swelling.
And sorry for not following up my thread. 🤯

stikflote

Site Supporter
Getting to see my Doctor is a bloody nightmare, phoned mon tues Wednesday ,all i got was All lines are busy phone back later
to get same answer. i notice they had a web site so filled form and got e mail saying a Clinician will phone befor 18 30 today still waiting,
About six weeks ago i had a hospital appointment to test my hand for Carpul Tunnel ,doctor there said get in touch with you GP he will give you the results
and he will get me the OP time and date ,.
Why couldn't that doc say ok we will do this, on such and such a date, why go back to Gp who already sent me to hospital.its too bloody simple isnt it