Farnham Angling Society

glyn

Regular member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
1,102
There are a few members on here. stick farnham in the search function at the top of the page the are a few threads on that club.
 

robhale

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
12
Hi,

I've been a member for about 20 years - What would you like to know? What species/type of angling are you looking for?
 

mrmike

Active member
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
61
Hi Rob!

Thanks... I am Umming and Arring about a couple of local clubs for next year, farnham or godalming! farnham seem to have a lot of waters that look great, i am after all yer fishing pike for the winter and general pleasure angling the rest of the year... and a good social wont go amiss! what are your views on farnham?... obviously good if you have been there for 20 years!
 

Brute1981

Regular member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
509
Rob, any chance you could answer a couple of questions for me?

How busy do the big Carp waters get? also I know a lot of the waters on the website have Carp to 40lb listed but do these waters have a good head of bigger fish or just a few big fish mixed in with hundreds of small Carp? I guess I'm asking about average sizes.

Thanks in advance.
 

sarto

complete blanker
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
608
I've been a member for a couple of years now and I can honestly say that it is fantastic value for money . I'm hopefully back down this weekend , havent decided which venue yet though. Maybe Lodge as I'm still trying to get a double figure bream !
 

robhale

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
12
Originally posted by mrmike

Hi Rob!

Thanks... I am Umming and Arring about a couple of local clubs for next year, farnham or godalming! farnham seem to have a lot of waters that look great, i am after all yer fishing pike for the winter and general pleasure angling the rest of the year... and a good social wont go amiss! what are your views on farnham?... obviously good if you have been there for 20 years!

I think it's a great club to join, certainly IMHO. I joined the committee 4 years ago also.

FAS has a number of good pike waters, which have historically held very nice Pike with a recent A 30lb 6oz specimen.

I'd have a look at the following on the website (www.farnhamanglingsociety.com): River Valley & Mill Lane, Yateley,
Frensham Great & Small Ponds - nice specimens in all of these.

Rivers Wey & Loddon: Can also produce some very nice Pike.

To fish for Pike, you must have attended a Pike teach-in and have your permit stamped - these are run from Sept-Nov - so unfortunately you've missed the window this season. This was put in place to protect the pike and does a very good job in the opinion of most - unfortunately - the timing doesn't help if you were looking for winter pike fishing this year.

To make up for the Pike, the club also has a range of pleasure fishing venues, to suit - secluded, including estate lakes (Tarn & Warren), secluded, lilly covered crucian & Roach pits (Stockbridge), small float fishing ponds (Wyke, Winchfield).

Hope this helps?
 
Last edited:

robhale

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
12
Originally posted by Brute1981


Rob, any chance you could answer a couple of questions for me?

How busy do the big Carp waters get? also I know a lot of the waters on the website have Carp to 40lb listed but do these waters have a good head of bigger fish or just a few big fish mixed in with hundreds of small Carp? I guess I'm asking about average sizes.

Thanks in advance.

I guess that depends on when you fish and which waters. Obviously the popular waters will get pretty busy in the summer (and a number open in the close season - so there's added pressure there). However mid-week, and out of the summer, I've never had a problem.

Average sizes are difficult to quantify:
The specimen waters (Mill Lane, Frensham Small, Frensham Great, River Valley) have small stocks of large specimen fish up to mid-40's and are suitably difficult. Size of the fish on some of these are not as important as the history/quality. All the above have stunning fish, probably 30-60 years old including original Donald Leney stockings.

Waters such as Stillwater Front, Stillwater Back Lake have a number of large fish (30+) and a number of 20's with a reasonable head of smaller fish.

Waters such as Tarn Pond, Badshot Lea Big Pond, Lodge Pond have higher numbers of smaller fish (although most are mid-double) but still produce 30lb fish (Ex Tarn).

Hope this helps?


Rob
 

Brute1981

Regular member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
509
Cheers for the info [:T]

The reason I asked is because I'm a member of a few clubs and most the waters I fish regularly have Carp to 25lb+ but usually it's just one or two fish and you need to get past hundreds of small Carp to get to them. I do some specimen Carping at Cemex waters, great fishing but it's not cheap so I'm looking for a club that offers me the chance of catching a few twenties and thirties. I'd rather sit it out for a few days and catch nothing knowing that if something does pick up my bait it's going to be decent. I'm not just an out and out Carper though, I love catching Tench in the summer as well as fishing the feeder and I do a lot of winter Piking too.

I'm in West Sussex so it will be a long old drive to fish Farnham's waters next season but it looks like it will be worth it.
 
Last edited:

robhale

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
12
Originally posted by Brute1981

Cheers for the info [:T]

The reason I asked is because I'm a member of a few clubs and most the waters I fish regularly have Carp to 25lb+ but usually it's just one or two fish and you need to get past hundreds of small Carp to get to them. I do some specimen Carping at Cemex waters, great fishing but it's not cheap so I'm looking for a club that offers me the chance of catching a few twenties and thirties. I'd rather sit it out for a few days and catch nothing knowing that if something does pick up my bait it's going to be decent.

Stillwater Front or Back Lake will serve you well - Frensham Small Pond, Mill Lane and River Valley have few fish, obviously much harder but all very nice sizes and stunning fish - if you're lucky enough to have a fish from any of those waters grace your net it will be a PB or a very memorable fish indeed. Frensham Great Pond offers a nice challenge due to size of the water.[/quote]


Originally posted by Brute1981
I'm not just an out and out Carper though, I love catching Tench in the summer as well as fishing the feeder and I do a lot of winter Piking too.

I'm in West Sussex so it will be a long old drive to fish Farnham's waters next season but it looks like it will be worth it.

There's very nice Tench in most of the club's waters - Mill Lane does double figure fish, River Valley is almost there also - plus good size tench in the frensham's, stillwater and Lodge pond.

If you like big bream, the society record (unofficial is 18lb (Mill Lane) and is on the website.
 

sarto

complete blanker
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
608
Have the lakes all thawed out in that neck of the woods yet? Was thinking of a trip to Lodge Pond but dont want to travel all the way down there if its still frozen!!
 

sarto

complete blanker
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
608
judging by the frosts weve had here I'm thinking it might be best to leave it a while and go chubbing on the lodden!
 

robhale

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2009
Messages
12
Originally posted by sarto

judging by the frosts weve had here I'm thinking it might be best to leave it a while and go chubbing on the lodden!

This weekend may be touch and go - night temps all down in the sub zero plus a northerly wind and snow! :(

Rivers looking far more promising!
 

JohnBudd

Regular member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
136
I am a member but I don't do carp fishing but if it is carp fishing u like then it is fantastic if not then it can be difficult
 
Top