Fare Dodging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col7777

I was on the Metro yesterday and there was a purge on with ticket inspectors, on my return journey the train stopped at one station and the inspectors got on to check but while they were checking I saw that the police had a few fare dodgers on the platform and were taking names etc.

What is the penalty for that does anybody know, the reason I asked was I remember a few years ago I went to Frankfurt in Germany and a man there said he had a freind who had never paid in years on the tram, his theory was if he got caught his fine would be nowhere near as much as if he had bought a ticket everyday?

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
THIS is from London Transport, it might give you some idea as to punishments for fare dodging.

nobby478

miserable old ....
Should it become a police matter it used to be the offence of Pecuniary Advantage under the Theft Act 1968, but I learnt last week that that has been replaced by the Fraud Act 2006.

I don't know the offences or penalties under the new Act, but a conviction for fraud isn't going to help in the future !

stikflote

Site Supporter
it used to be rife on the trains, half the time the police didnt bother to turn up so they all got away with it

Col7777

I was on the Metro a few weeks ago and went both ways and never saw an inspector, I could have been a fare dodger and got away with it that day and thought I might try that again, if I had I would have been unlucky this time.

usually its like a 75 fine but it rarely gets issued cause they can use the excuse the ticket guys at the train station werent there and in chorley that is a regular occurance because i live in chester i use the railway at least 3 times a week and they are rarely about at chorley train station usually watching tv in the office or summat

matty67

hablando espanol
Originally posted by Roach Basher

usually its like a 75 fine but it rarely gets issued cause they can use the excuse the ticket guys at the train station werent there and in chorley that is a regular occurance because i live in chester i use the railway at least 3 times a week and they are rarely about at chorley train station usually watching tv in the office or summat

you couldn't use that excuse on the Metrolink, all the stations/stops have ticket machines that accept all sterling coins and give change for notes, they may even take euros now as well.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
You will get a criminal record if you leave the boundary of the station. i.e. if you go through the ticket barrier not having purchased a ticket.

lp1886

Site Supporter
It would be easy to fare dodge on football match days. The tube stations are that busy they just open the gates. There is usually a bloke that you are meant to show your ticket to as you walk by, but you could just show him a receipt or bit of paper and he would be none the wiser. Only ever fare dodged once when had to catch a train from Leicester to Sheffield and the train was already on the platform so just walked straight through onto the platform and onto the train. However when i came back i bought a return ticket even though i was only going the one way.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
If you travel regularly and can get through the barrier problem, then it could pay (in theory) to fare dodge.

It costs me 10 a day to travel into work on the train each day, I've been checked maybe 5 times in as many years... so checked once per every 2000 spent. Quite a lot more than the fines.

I'm not that way inclined (i.e. to far dodge) but there are plenty of folks who try it on and you can see why.

Status
Not open for further replies.