Family holiday with fishing?

badgerale

So my mum (in her 70s) suggested taking the family away some time this year and, knowing that me and the brother like a bit of fish bothering, even offered a fishing holiday. Her original idea was Ireland, which would be nice, but what with the covid, it might be safer to keep it more local - so England and Wales probably.

It will be just two of us fishing, plus my mum, wife, and toddler - so in the interest of my marriage, I'm looking more for a holiday with fishing, rather than a out and out fishing holiday. Some stuff to do, pubs, restaurants, local attractions... but I also like the idea of waddling out of the accommodation down to the lake.

Any recommendations for some holiday destinations that are lake or river adjacent but also interesting enough to take the family and not have them complain too much if I'm fishing all day?

This is assuming that we will come out of lockdown by the summer, obviously.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
We had a place in Norfolk last year and this year we are down to Devon for a gatehouse in the grounds of a manor that has a lake for fishing

Its surprising how many there are dotted around

mbuna_matt

Be VERY careful with Centre parks as fishing isn't permitted at all of them, we fell very foul on that few years ago. The Norfolk does let you fish (some big old carp in there too ;-) ) but Nottingham certainly doesn't allow fishing.........

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
To follow up on my initial post there are loads of waterside properties on the broads rivers (at least the bure, ant, thurne) particularly in places like wroxham, horning and potter heigham, all around nice areas for touristy stuff as well. Then down in Dorset there’s meadowbank on the stour in Christchurch, Sandy balls on the Avon in the new forest and a place on Poole harbour (that also has a lake) of which the name escapes me which are obviously all close to some of the best beaches in the country. Think a couple other places with lakes nearby as well.

There’s also a couple places on the Avon around Stratford that are very close to the town itself and the cotswolds. Then there’s the cotswold water park with its ton of waterside properties right in the cotswolds. As has been said there’s a few places on the isles of Wight with lakes and you’re obviously never far from the coast there as well.

I think when you’re taking family you’ve got to prioritise it being a touristy area first and foremost with the fishing secondary. You don’t really want to have them stuck somewhere right in the midlands or something for example miles from anywhere particularly touristy just for you to have a particular sort of fishing 👍🏻

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’d always head for the Wye Valley. Lots to see and do in a beautiful part of the world and some decent fishing aswell👍

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I think when you’re taking family you’ve got to prioritise it being a touristy area first and foremost with the fishing secondary. You don’t really want to have them stuck somewhere right in the midlands or something for example miles from anywhere particularly touristy just for you to have a particular sort of fishing 👍🏻
Think this is spot on - although the lake is on the doorstep it will be me & my boy for an hour or two before breakfast, days out at the beach or sightseeing as a big family group then a few hours in the evenings as dinner is cooking to round off each day

This way everyone is happy

badgerale

To follow up on my initial post there are loads of waterside properties on the broads rivers (at least the bure, ant, thurne) particularly in places like wroxham, horning and potter heigham, all around nice areas for touristy stuff as well. Then down in Dorset there’s meadowbank on the stour in Christchurch, Sandy balls on the Avon in the new forest and a place on Poole harbour (that also has a lake) of which the name escapes me which are obviously all close to some of the best beaches in the country. Think a couple other places with lakes nearby as well.

There’s also a couple places on the Avon around Stratford that are very close to the town itself and the cotswolds. Then there’s the cotswold water park with its ton of waterside properties right in the cotswolds. As has been said there’s a few places on the isles of Wight with lakes and you’re obviously never far from the coast there as well.

Great ideas here, I'll do some research.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Apologies for the brevity of my earlier reply.

Having had a family holiday last August on the Isle of Wight I can attest to the wealth of things for a family to do on the island. Amusement park, historic houses, steam railway, beaches and of course, fishing.

Carp Fishing on the Isle of Wight • Forest Ponds Carp Fishing

Caravans on site.

8 on site properties sleeping 3-10.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Warmwell in Dorset is worth a look. Not been for ages but the kids enjoyed it, and loads to do in the area.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Apologies for the brevity of my earlier reply.

Having had a family holiday last August on the Isle of Wight I can attest to the wealth of things for a family to do on the island. Amusement park, historic houses, steam railway, beaches and of course, fishing.

Carp Fishing on the Isle of Wight • Forest Ponds Carp Fishing

Caravans on site.

8 on site properties sleeping 3-10.
Don’t forget the sea fishing as well. I’ve caught mackerel off Sandown pier and pulled my hair out trying to catch mullet in Bembridge harbour on course gear.

Chervil

Site Supporter
All places we have been to

Lots to do for kids

Nothing really for others to do at the lakes, but plenty around it. The added bonus for me would be that the lodge we normally stayed in - Swan - is gated, so I wouldn't be constantly worried about the toddler and water.

Again lots to do, just up the road from Coombe Mill

As already suggested have a look at the broads, although I have always found the accommodation very expensive for what you get.

Eye Kettleby, where we go for 3 weeks a year has nice accommodation and a club house, but nothing for kids

The problem you may find is being able to book anywhere. Eye Kettleby books up 2 years ahead - We have already booked next years holidays.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Do think places will be incredibly booked up or overpriced this year. Quite glad we've got camper vans and a little holiday home amongst the family and friends in nice places we can stay with as don't really fancy spending as much on a uk holiday as we normally would on a US holiday 😅

Guess it'll depend on when and to what extent things open up 🤔

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Woodalakes in Devon,12 lodges so not overcrowded, 3 have hot tubs, all have tackle shed and bait fridge, 4 lodges are lakeside .
4 lakes to fish, can park near a few pegs if you dont decide to walk down to them. A few minutes walk, no need to take a ruck of tackle.
Bude is around 7 miles away, good tackle shop at side of canal.
Westward Ho is not far,
Tamar Lakes a couple of miles away.
Had a week there last year, and booked again for this when handing keys in at reception on last day there..