Fading away into the New Year

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
:D

As some may know me and the missus took ourselves off this Christmas for the first time in <cough> lots of years to sunnier climes. We'd often said we'd fancied doing it, going away at Christmas that is< but never got around to doing so, and this Christmas seemed like a good time to do so after the year we'd had...

So, trip to Madeira booked, Winston booked into his Aunty Moira's (dog sitter), no worked booked for Christmas week, swapped a few White £fivers for modern €'s , and Christmas eve, 9:00amwe flew out of here :)
We had a Christmas dinner at ours with the girls and families, on the Saturday previous where we were entertained by the grandkids, presents exchanged and 'see you laters'

A 2hr flight delay due to adverse weather conditions meant we finally arrived at 3:00pm local time (same as here) followed by a short transfer to the hotel and if started chuffin raining lol, I kid you not :p
Not to panic, the hotel was spotless, indoor and outdoor pools, hot tub, sauna, gym (and yes I did manage to venture inside it :p ) , the facilities were second to none.... looking good (y)

Then I started with an irritating cough :eek:

Christmas Day started with a thunderstorm that soon cleared, breakfast at the hotel buffet, and a pleasant stroll around the place whilst the clouds burnt off. Followed by a bit of lunch, couple of local beers, then back to the hotel for the evening meal.
The local wine was being plugged by the hotel all the time so we had a bottle with our meal, my gawd, it tasted like it'd been collected from the roadside after the rain, mixed with a bit of gasoline for added flavour, and given a fancy label, it was foul.

After half a bottle I gave up trying to drink it, the missus didn't get through one glass luckily, I say luckily as I had the hangover from hell the following morning, not had one so bad since drinking homebrew as a kid :scream:

The irritable cough was now turning into a chest infection, my appetite waining at every possibility, my taste buds were no longer active, but the sun was out and the sun loungers were a blessing - I'll spare you the photographic evidence unless by popular request lol

The place was lovely but it was too quiet really, but saying that we wanted a quiet relaxing break so couldn't fault it on that basis :)
A bus ride into the island's capital saw us wandering around the many bars and shops, infecting the Germans at every opportunity, and a pleasant conversation with a local pharmacist saw me relieved of a few €'s in exchange for fancy medicines which i've no idea what they read

Saturday, we had another bus trip out in the opposite direction where I was accosted by a local taxi driver who tried to haggle us into using his cab instead of the bus. Okay so we reached a fair price after 10 minutes of haggling but when I offered him my return bus ticket as payment he called me an 'Idiot' ... "this man is an idiot" were his exact words to the remaining bus queue lol
I never laughed so much and the missus said "it took him all of ten minutes to work that out " :D

Anyway, back home now, on strong antibiotics, got a few unpleasant side effects - lets just say 'a flock of sparrows flying through a wet hedge' springs to mind, :poop:, but back in Blighty, missed you all like a hole in the head, missed the Boboco sale more, and back to work tomorrow :D

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Right what he didnt mention was T and her Euros and relieving him of Perfume Money whilst the flight was Delayed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Glad ya had a good time mate, i did tell ya it was a peaceful and relaxing Place ;);) Ive got some Mucky Goose fat if ya want yer chest Rubbing :eek::eek:

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Did you get out and do the levada walks etc? also great bar at top of the fish market,they do a great stout.

Total

Site Supporter
Welcome back Ma'dei' ra! (groan!:oops:):D

At least you had a good break and sampled the local infections! Bloody typical, go all that way and the rain follows you eh?:D

Made me smile reading about the taxi driver...... And fancy him arguing about money matters with a man with white fivers in his wallet!.....I hope you left him your calling card.....Coughhhh.:D......Happy new year to you and yours. (y)

crowder

I’m similar Dave, I worked Christmas Day and Boxing Day night and started my 4 days off on the 27th, been laid up with man flu for most of my days off and now back at work feeling sorry for myself!

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I could go back to work Tomorrow but im not gonna ;) our Gerts Got a bad Chest but thats her age ;);)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I nearly forgot about the missus's €'s - good reminder I'll go get my money back now :) (as if lol)

Yeap, we got to the hotel room and I went to put her's into the safe "how many did you bring love?"

T - "I've got 980"
Me - "980?? - that's nearly double what I've bought :eek:"

It turns out she'd bought some old Thai money we'd had from a few years ago and left her €'s behind by mistake :eek:

And 'the surprise Christmas present' from the duty free - It was a chuffin surprise as I didn't know I was buying her it :eek: lol

62tucker

Site Supporter
Welcome back. I wonder if that’s why all the migrants are coming over here. To avoid the man flu

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I once spent New Year’s Day racing snowmobiles on a frozen lake in lapland

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
well,at least we now know why the forum upgrade was so expensive for us :devilish::devilish::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Haha @sly, that's just reminded me, there was quite a deficit in the final costings, where shall I send you an invoice ? :p