Facebook vs Australia

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Warning: this post contains an original rant from @spanky that may contain traces of nuts

Anybody else been watching the furore developing in Australia?

Personally, I think the whole impact and scope of social media is due for a massive correction - they behave with little regard to there users and maintain there own secret agendas with accountability to no one. The latest round of de-platforming is also a massive source for concern given its perceived political bias.

Now, admittedly headlines like this don't help (but they do help when it comes to clickbait).

1613655437973.png

DailyMailScareStoryHere

And now it looks like FB have overstepped the mark by blocking certain Ozzie FB pages... However, I cant help being disappointed at the sheep-like responses from some FB users (as per the BBC lunchtime news) along the lines of "I rely on FB for my news feed / weather report / hazard warnings etc. What am I going to do now?". Clearly the www has been reduced to one self-rewarding icon. Frankly, this would appear to be a worrying insight into how far some people have let social media penetrate their lives - don't rely on one site/app/provider for your world view, especially when that one provider is actively trying to profile you by collecting as much information about you as possible and has the means to control what you see on the screen in front of you.

If I were you I would immediately remove FB from my life and ask for a full refund.

Hang on... wait a moment

1613655917501.png

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I think that's just a mitigation strategy, not sure it delivers an unbiased feed though - just more targeted articles to up your click rate and raise advertising revenue. I think you're much better outside on the web.

I can see big changes coming in the near future for the big tech companies. (FB share price down 2% today)

Reuben

Site Supporter
Not much happens in Australia anyway. I would have thought it was no great loss.....