Fabsil waterproofer

Carp attack

Has anyone used this product? Or a product similar? Any good?
After fishing in that weather yesterday an getting battered by wind & rain, I realise I need to re proof my kit,,
Yes I would love halkon hunt gear or whatever gore tex but I cant afford it at the moment and hope this stuff might by me abit of time to save some cash up,,, cheers

Truly

Site Supporter
Have a look at Diver Dave's stuff. It has a very good reputation in the deer stalking world. My british army windproof smock (cotton material) can be made almost waterproof with it.
None of the spray-on/wash-in products that I am aware of, will totally waterproof a fabric but Diver Dave's stuff will make a huge difference.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I use Fabsil on tents, the fabric on the campervan’s pop up roof & nylon type umbrellas - works fine. Not so good on clothing though. I use the wash in Graingers Nik Wax stuff for waterproof clothing.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
another for Nik Wax here too, buy the complete kit of two bottles on ebay, cheap as

a good tip after washing the wetproofs is to tumble dry them on a low heat after washing, it seems (in my experience) to make the stuff work much better

DaveGas

Regarding Gore tex I have purchased some Berghaus Maitland Gore tex over trousers for £80 and they are brilliant for fishing so it doesn't have to be the super expensive named fishing brands or Halkon Hunt if you have a look at the other brands that do the same job (y)

Maverick

Site Supporter
Washed my Bib N Brace last year and hung it on the washing line to dry. I bought a tin of Fabsil from Halfords,Then using a cheap spray bottle I sprayed it with Fabsil and did my brolly too.

Did the job and plenty left to do it another couple of times. £12 per Litre Fabsil Liquid 1L | Halfords UK

Seanm

Site Supporter
To follow up on Mick the Chippy's post
"a good tip after washing the wetproofs is to tumble dry them on a low heat after washing, it seems (in my experience) to make the stuff work much better"
depending on the chemistry used if they are with PFC's then yes this will be the case the heat helps to re-activate the product. These types of chemistries can be bioacumlative and so are in the environmental spotlight at the moment (watch the film darkwaters) and will most likely be banned in the coming years. So if you like it buy it while you can.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
We owners of Saab convertibles use Fabsil every year on the roof. 100% recommend it.