F1 kits.

JLK

1 - you need to determine how long the difference is from the tip to the pulla hole.
2 - once you have worked that out and allowed for a connector/dacron for the tip end and a bead/knot at the pulla end you will know exactly how much you need to do a single top kit.

3m usually doesn't do two top kits unless they are 1.45m from tip to pulla hole and that might be a bit too pingy. And that's why most people buy the non branded elastics at 2m lengths like Chefster and many others.

matti

Site Supporter
I can vouch for it, but if your not sure,thread the top kit with your chosen elastic, fit the connector and side puller bead, but don't knot it, ( if you use the matched diawa pullabeads they will grip the elastic with no knot), set the elastic to the tension you want, and then fold the elastic back to the tip of your top kit you hopefully will have enough to do another kit, dont forget if its a bit short it doesn't matter because you need to tension the elastic in the kit so it doesn't droop on your first fish, that's the way I do it

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Well I’ve got the Maver 1-piece kits, and a few Maver shortys (2 piece.., I can’t get 2 kits out of 1 pack of hydro 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Middy xz 65-2
Same as Tom Hardy has got and he says you need 2m 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️Using his elastic works out at £4 per short topkit for me...I didn’t change from hydro purely because of cost, I’ll never scrimp on anything I need, it’s just a bonus 👍

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
What is a mudline mate.
And why is it stronger for shallow
I’d use softer for shallow fishing so they don’t come up to the surface and cause a commotion.
the mud line is fishing across tight to the island / far bank

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
What is a mudline mate.
And why is it stronger for shallow
For the mudline/across , you’re shipping back 13-16m so you need a softer elastic so you don’t pull out of anything, so I use an 8-10 summer, and a 6-8 winter ...I use a 10-12 hybrid for shallow, it’s soft enough, that they don’t cause any commotion, but you can get them in quick, when doing a big weight, rather than them dragging you round the peg 👍

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
For the mudline/across , you’re shipping back 13-16m so you need a softer elastic so you don’t pull out of anything, so I use an 8-10 summer, and a 6-8 winter ...I use a 10-12 hybrid for shallow, it’s soft enough, that they don’t cause any commotion, but you can get them in quick, when doing a big weight, rather than them dragging you round the peg 👍
Very good tips Gazza , i use about the same as you although i have a couple of 4 to 6 for little silvers for winter if i ever get out lol. Im using middy but havent been out enough to give a true review on them .

Marker50

Site Supporter
I buy the elastic from Tom Hardy (THFloats) in 2 m lengths for short kits, it works out very cost effective, as I have 12 short kits..I’ve used hydro for about 20 years,but I’ve got fed up with it.I’ve never got 2 top kits out of 1 pack of hydro !!!! Must be as tight as a bowstring 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️t
Found it in ebay mate.
Just trying to do the maths.
Ie can you get more from a long lenth.
As not wasting some every time on a 2mtr lenth.
2 large glasses of red not helping.