Eyed vs Spade End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Im sure this debate has been created about 12,000 times during the life of this forum but there is a few things i want to know...

Are spade end hooks and knots as strong as eyed ones? Ive always fished eyed, mainly because the guy in the shop gave them me as a kid when i asked for hooks, but after getting a pole recently and some ready made rigs, ive been checking the hooks. they look the business, presentation looks better as the hook hangs better. The guy used one of these hook tier things, but, are they totally trustworthy with lumps and so on? Something makes me think id rather lose a good fish to human error than a man made device....what do you think?

aidan_17

its a doddle to use a hook tyer. better for smaller hooks for pole rigs. for larger hooks such as 12's and bigger eyed are more commonly used and obviously if you are tying hair rigs then eyed hooks are needed.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Thanks for that Aidan, i wasnt sure under what circumstances to go for the bigger hooks, maybe id just move to waggler if i needed to fish bigger baits amnd whatever anyway.

Newie, im like you on that one

Thom

I fish spade ends on all my pole rigs except for when im hair rigging or fishing paste.

for waggler (no hair) i fish spade ends, (with hair) eyed hooks
feeder/bomb (no hair) i fish spade ends, (with hair) eyed hooks

Waveney One

I think it makes a difference when fishing for smaller fish, roach, dace etc. I think that the smaller hooks you use for these fish sit better on a light line than an eyed hook. I remember reading an article where when speed fishing for bleak, an eyed hook was better as it prevented the maggot being blown up the hooklink and saved time.

For hard fighting fish like carp, tench and barbel I have moved to eyed hooks as occasionally the spade will cut through the whipping.

As for spades being more old fashioned than eyed hooks, I am not sure that I agree there either. Both have been around for donkeys years. The original hooks to gut were largely spades, certainly all the better ones were like model perfects. The coarser hooks like sea hooks and feather traces for mackerel were eyed though.

Still what do I know, whilst my wife thinks I smell like a fish after a trip out, I don't think like one although at times I try to

slf

NUFC
i use both, spades for pole rigs and eyed for large hooks like 10 and 12

Thom

Originally posted by newies_maggots

reasons?

For all baits but paste on the pole hook/knot presentation is a key factor i believe. if it's not right the fish wont have it!

with paste on the pole the abit completely masks the hook.

As for waggler and feeder they're self explanatory. spade is neater than an eye normally.

midge99

I use spade hooks for most of my fishing the only time I switch to eyed is for hair rigs and with lines over 0.16mm, I have only had problems through my own bad tying of hooks.
Spade hooks do give a much better presentation which is at the end of the day the most important thing.
I have landed carp to 17lb on 0.12mm hook lengths and spade hooks so the knot strength is never an issue with me.

ubat

Agree with most of the above, spade for lighter lines, eyed for hairs and heavier line.

syholl

I always use spade ends, even for hair rigs. I don't even own any eyed hooks. Caught plenty of carp to over 20lb on spade end hooks. Never had a knot fail either...

adam_f

i only use spades .

people say spades cut through your line but this is probably because they tie their hooks wrong.
i have never had a spade cut through the line.

adam_f

when hair rigging i use eyeds which is only when i fish the feeder

bob bull

When after chub i allways use eyed. Pass the line thru the eye so its coming off the front of the hook then whip it on like a spade end. Best of both worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.