Eye test

rudd

Site Supporter
After three years driving around the country in my last job, using a kindle to read books, kindle fire tablet and laptop to work from whilst out on the road - all devices where font can be made bigger and all stored in laptop case for ease of transporting between meetings and hotels - I started a new job several months back involving alot of VDU work.
Being at home everynight I started to re-read my collection of angling books and a pile of paperback novels accumulated from charity shops.
It became apparent that in the evenings my eyes were strained and reading fixed text became a struggle. I also admitted to my self my binoculars diopter settings were very slowly changing over time.
At work I felt uncomfortable constantly moving my head reading documents and vdu/laptop screens.
Admitted to myself I may need glasses.
My company gave me eye test vouchers when I requested as per the law and off I trotted for an eye test.
Last one done by MOD just under thirty years ago.
My word, the things tested and devices used, its certainly an experience!

Result, one eye is perfect, the other has adjusted due to age and is causing me close range reading issues as it causes the other eye strain as they are not working in unison.
Other than that my sight is perfect.
The optrometrist signed off prescription that glasses needed for VDU work which enabled me to get a £55 voucher towards glasses from company. When ordering vision express had a two for one offer.
Today went and collected two pairs of Barbour framed anti reflection reading glasses for £130.
This evening Spent wearing a pair and reading - my word, wish I had had eyes tested months if not years ago, I can read even the smallest of print without squinting!

.:geek:.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Had almost the same with Specsavers. I started to get headaches when using the laptop for a couple of hours (I wear glasses daily). Went to pick the new ones up and they have a slight tint. Not had a headache since.

david white

Site Supporter
I had a test last week as you say very very comprehensive and eye opening tests ( pun intended) got to admit I had a little chuckle to myself when I answered “ why do you think you need a test ? “ with ‘ I can’t see my float clearly anymore the optician said it quite a common answer, then silvers don’t stand a chance this coming winter .........

rudd

Site Supporter
I had a test last week as you say very very comprehensive and eye opening tests ( pun intended) got to admit I had a little chuckle to myself when I answered “ why do you think you need a test ? “ with ‘ I can’t see my float clearly anymore the optician said it quite a common answer, then silvers don’t stand a chance this coming winter .........
I can still see that dot .

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Just about every eye test I have had,even though I tell the optometrist I have no sight in left eye at some stage they cover my right eye and ask what I can see,I suppose they just get so many they don't stop to think..

Chervil

Site Supporter
"VDU". I haven't heard that term in donkeys years. My wife was a "VDU operator" when we first met in 1977!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've worn glasses permanently for short sight since I was 4 years old. As I've got older though, I was finding myself taking them off to read. Ended up being prescribed varifocals a couple of years ago. They're a pain in the backside for looking at a puter screen & tying hooks on. Finding myself taking them off for that now!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I had got to a stage where I needed a pair for reading, a pair for the computer all day at work and a pair for distance (Watching my float and driving, not at the same time obviously). I finally decided to get some varifocals. It took me ages to get used to them, probably two months, but now I consider it one of the best things i‘ve ever done. I only take them off to sleep and I can see everything. I was always led to believe they were really expensive but they weren‘t that bad considering the difference they made to my life. I was paying about £70 each for 3 different pairs and I got two pairs of varifocals for £295. One of the pairs are polarised which I use for fishing.

Arfer Mo

Site Supporter
You're right Asda do sell them for that price for a single pair, £60 each if you buy two pairs. Plus an extra £49 for reactorlite or polaroid lenses. I had my eyes tested at Asda a couple of weeks ago and collect my new glasses today.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Opticians varifocals are often a rip-off! I was recently quoted over £200 to include hard scratch resistant coating etc. Got previous pairs with similar spec for £130 from optical laboratory in Yorkshire. Present ones, again with top spec, for £80 from local who retired from optical laboratory, set up his own near his home and cuts out all the middle men by supplying directly to customers visiting him via word of mouth.
The testing opticians in UK are obliged to give you your lenses prescription, but you're not obliged to buy anything from them so can shop around. Make sure your varifocal prescription shows your PD, ie the pupil distance being the distance between pupils where the dispensing/manufacturer of the lenses places the "sweet spot" on the lenses.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Hah....try £382 varifocal, plus prism lenses to sort lateral and vertical astigmatisms plus the usual coatings and reactolite... the problem I have is, twice I have tried large chain opticians (Boots/Vision Express) and twice they have got my prescription badly wrong, so I'd rather go to someone who knows what they are doing and pay the price, than have someone else screw up my vision... your sight is precious.... look after it