Eye protection whilst fishing

Sjfitz

Ok , this is a new one on me , maybe a few of you have come across this before ..
a good friend of mine asked me today if I wear sunglasses when fishing , I told him sometimes I do , he then showed me his left eye that was very bloodshot , he went to the doctors with it who asked him if he worked outside , he told him he didn’t and worked inside .
the second question he asked him was if he went fishing , he said he did ,he then asked him if he wore sunglasses when it was sunny ..he said no I don’t .
the doctor said he had seen this several times before ,it was the suns glare reflecting back off the water that has caused the damage , they are keeping an eye ( no pun ) on it , there is talk of an operation !
any of you come across this before ?

John Step

Site Supporter
Yes definitely heard of this before. One gets twice as much UV glare when float fishing. One from above and one from the water reflection.
I have been told by my optician that the UV rays contribute towards cataracts.
The same reasoning goes goes with skin cancer on the face and using sun protection.

A peaked hat and polarised glasses are a must. I always have a UV filter added to my prescription specs. I find clip on polarised glasses help with fish spotting as I wear specs all the time.

FishyBeard

Never heard of it being specific to fishing. However, I've always worn sunglasses when I used to canoe because of the glare. If its a bright or sunny day I'll wear my glasses when fishing it does stop eye strain for myself.

DFL

Site Supporter
After recent cataract surgery my eyes have become very light sensitive and I find myself wearing sunglasses even on cloudy days.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I wear polarized 'sunny's' when fishing, but finding the clip-on type harder to get hold of (I wear glasses). The clip-on flip-up type I have now are around 5 or 6 years old.

John Step

Site Supporter
I wear polarized 'sunny's' when fishing, but finding the clip-on type harder to get hold of (I wear glasses). The clip-on flip-up type I have now are around 5 or 6 years old.
Ukzero , There are plenty on line. Trout fishers use them. They are also on Amazon. Loads on the bay.

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
I wear polarised sun glasses when fishing whether it is cloudy or sunny as i wear varifocal glasses all the time i find that after a days fishing with sun glasses i fell quite relaxed when driving home although i once forgot them and i ended up all day squinting at the float and also driving home due to the glare so now i make sure they are packed n the car the night before i go fishing.

Flathead

Site Supporter
It is not just your eyes that need protection.:cool:

the glare from the water will also affect your skin and, it is not surprising, that sun related skin lesions and cancer are common among anglers.

Sitting under an umbrella or wearing a hat may protect you from the sun from above but not from reflected light.

I learned the hard way and was not really aware until I lived in Australia and went to a skin clinic……although had had a few lesions treated in the UK.

I now go every 6 months to have something else frozen or cut off my face(n)

tee.bee

Site Supporter
yes suffered with bad bloodshot eyes and was told it was down to fishing so wear sunglasses now its left me with scars on the lens of my eyes

ATTICUS FINCH

Site Supporter
Always wear my Polaroids even in overcast days .the only time I don't is if the sun is at my back

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Ukzero , There are plenty on line. Trout fishers use them. They are also on Amazon. Loads on the bay.
Yes, I've seen those, but I need some that clip to the frame of my every day glasses that just tilt up when not needed. I also have to think about the size of them. I don't want to be buying them to find they are too small (or large).

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve always worn polarised glasses for fishing, currently Tesco clip ons over my prescription lenses but hadn’t always worn sunscreen - the sunscreen habit kicked in when I started HGV driving and is now firmly embedded plus I make sure Jacob is covered in the stuff too when we are out.

Mothy1965

Site Supporter
I wear varifocal glasses and have been struggling with the glare over the last few weeks. I fished all day a couple of weeks ago and forgot my sun cream and hat, my head has just about stopped peeling. Lesson learned, but I must get some polarising clip-ons.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I wear varifocal glasses and have been struggling with the glare over the last few weeks. I fished all day a couple of weeks ago and forgot my sun cream and hat, my head has just about stopped peeling. Lesson learned, but I must get some polarising clip-ons.
Or ‘over’ sunglasses, fit over your normal glasses, also give protection at the sides. I use some cheap ones I got off eBay with amber lenses, work great.

DunbarDinnes

Site Supporter
Ok , this is a new one on me , maybe a few of you have come across this before ..
a good friend of mine asked me today if I wear sunglasses when fishing , I told him sometimes I do , he then showed me his left eye that was very bloodshot , he went to the doctors with it who asked him if he worked outside , he told him he didn’t and worked inside .
the second question he asked him was if he went fishing , he said he did ,he then asked him if he wore sunglasses when it was sunny ..he said no I don’t .
the doctor said he had seen this several times before ,it was the suns glare reflecting back off the water that has caused the damage , they are keeping an eye ( no pun ) on it , there is talk of an operation !
Not heard of this specifically but have noticed that since I started wearing Sunnies I don't suffer any sort of eyestrain or headaches during & following a session

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Having been sunburnt boat fishing in winter and also seeing the damage tackle can cause to eyes - sunglasses are a must.
Also if polarised you can see into depths.😎

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I have to wear Sunglasses all the time, had cataracts in both eyes from sun glare while fishing. Thats what the consultant thought caused it. Mid 40's when i had them both done.