Eye Kettleby

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
A few weeks ago I had a PM from another MD'er @Simon Walsh to say that he would be staying at Eye kettleby for the last week of September and did I want to join him for a day ?Having previously fished with Simon twice at Eye Kettleby. It was an invitation that I had been looking forward to, especially as the end of September, is one of the four busiest times of year and I was suffering from Stressure TM (a combination of stress & pressure) and I knew a day's fishing in good company would sort that out.

Met up with Simon for full English breakfast at 8:00 AM. Is there a better way to start a fishing session ? was good to catch up with Simon over a very good breakfast (Simon must have been hungry, because he made breakfast disappear like a stage magician !)

Short drive to Lake & with parking right beside the peg was a welcome change. Simon said he was going to start on expander pellet against the island far bank approx 15 Metres. Normally I wouldn't choose to fish that far, as the last time I tried it with my Middy XK55 (original version) It wasn't too comfortable. Now that I had a Whisker XLS, I thought I would re-visit fishing long. Well I gave it a go and the difference was amazing by comparison although maybe lifting the rig clear out of the water to drop it in, when there is a stiff breeze blowing wasn't such a good idea, as the wind blew the rig into the island vegetation. Nothing else for it but to ship back at an angle, low to the water, fortunately the rig did break free, but shot back and tangled around the top kit ! I decided fishing long on a breezy day wasn't probably the best way to practice, so I opted to fish at topkit + 2 with caster in search of the bream. My first attempt at mixing ground bait using 50/50 mix of Dynamite Swim Stim F1 Sweet Cool Water ground bait and some dark ground bait made up by a local commercial seemed OK, although maybe a bit heavy. Like anything it will come with practice.

I have found that using a banded caster works well for carp & skimmers and as Simon informed me he had already caught 4 carp,

5541-ae206e5f9a1c40dc04978dbf6fde4bdb.jpg

I needed to catch up. I potted in half a 250 ML cup mix of ground bait & hemp, with a few casters and shipped out top kit + 2 and laid the rig in. I was getting indications, but no bites, so ship in adjust shot and it didn't take long for the float to dip before burying a short scrap later and carp number one was in the net.

IMG_0083A.jpg

Not huge, but, I am always glad to get the first fish in the net, although it always takes me some time, I get there in the end.

Simon wanted to know if my Daiwa XLS was longer than his Tricast Excellence, so we laid both poles out at the full 16 Metres with standard no 4 and the XLS was about a foot longer. Simon hopped back on to his seat box as he wanted to see how the XLS handled at 16 Metres, needless to say he was impressed with the lightness & stiffness of the Daiwa coupled with the satin finish. I think he was surprised how good a pole, the Whisker XLS is.

Simon's far bank had gone quiet and the wind though not constant was gusting, so he borrowed some ground bait and went down the track too. We both settled in to steadily catching carp, bream and occasional roach. I had noticed that there were indications of fish in the margin to my left, a lot earlier in the day than I expected fish to move in to margins. Now catching in the margins has never been a skill set I have managed consistently to crack yet, no time like the present to try out a Drennan Crystal Margin float to see if it made a difference. As with most places the water level had dropped considerably to normal, it was far to shallow close in by the bank so after plumbing up I found a decent depth about 3 Ft from the bank and potted in ground bait and sweetcorn. Laying the rig further out and drawing it back up the shelf to settle at the right depth gave an instant sail away bite with nice 4 Lb carp on. What was odd that subsequent margin catches were all bream of a very dark colour almost black, so maybe a hybrid.

Simon was catching steadily from the margin too, I did have a chuckle as he had taken a phone call and was happily talking away to a mate, with the phone to his ear with one hand hand, whilst playing a carp in open water with the other.

All too soon it was, time to pack up and call it a day, why does fishing time go 3 X faster than work time ? Good byes & handshakes exchanged and promises to meet up again in the Spring. Simon suggested we post it up as a MD fish in next year the more the merrier.

Chervil

Site Supporter
A few weeks ago I had a PM from another MD'er @Simon Walsh to say that he would be staying at Eye kettleby for the last week of September and did I want to join him for a day ?Having previously fished with Simon twice at Eye Kettleby. It was an invitation that I had been looking forward to, especially as the end of September, is one of the four busiest times of year and I was suffering from Stressure TM (a combination of stress & pressure) and I knew a day's fishing in good company would sort that out.

Met up with Simon for full English breakfast at 8:00 AM. Is there a better way to start a fishing session ? was good to catch up with Simon over a very good breakfast (Simon must have been hungry, because he made breakfast disappear like a stage magician !)

Short drive to Lake & with parking right beside the peg was a welcome change. Simon said he was going to start on expander pellet against the island far bank approx 15 Metres. Normally I wouldn't choose to fish that far, as the last time I tried it with my Middy XK55 (original version) It wasn't too comfortable. Now that I had a Whisker XLS, I thought I would re-visit fishing long. Well I gave it a go and the difference was amazing by comparison although maybe lifting the rig clear out of the water to drop it in, when there is a stiff breeze blowing wasn't such a good idea, as the wind blew the rig into the island vegetation. Nothing else for it but to ship back at an angle, low to the water, fortunately the rig did break free, but shot back and tangled around the top kit ! I decided fishing long on a breezy day wasn't probably the best way to practice, so I opted to fish at topkit + 2 with caster in search of the bream. My first attempt at mixing ground bait using 50/50 mix of Dynamite Swim Stim F1 Sweet Cool Water ground bait and some dark ground bait made up by a local commercial seemed OK, although maybe a bit heavy. Like anything it will come with practice.

I have found that using a banded caster works well for carp & skimmers and as Simon informed me he had already caught 4 carp,

5541-ae206e5f9a1c40dc04978dbf6fde4bdb.jpg

I needed to catch up. I potted in half a 250 ML cup mix of ground bait & hemp, with a few casters and shipped out top kit + 2 and laid the rig in. I was getting indications, but no bites, so ship in adjust shot and it didn't take long for the float to dip before burying a short scrap later and carp number one was in the net.

IMG_0083A.jpg

Not huge, but, I am always glad to get the first fish in the net, although it always takes me some time, I get there in the end.

Simon wanted to know if my Daiwa XLS was longer than his Tricast Excellence, so we laid both poles out at the full 16 Metres with standard no 4 and the XLS was about a foot longer. Simon hopped back on to his seat box as he wanted to see how the XLS handled at 16 Metres, needless to say he was impressed with the lightness & stiffness of the Daiwa coupled with the satin finish. I think he was surprised how good a pole, the Whisker XLS is.

Simon's far bank had gone quiet and the wind though not constant was gusting, so he borrowed some ground bait and went down the track too. We both settled in to steadily catching carp, bream and occasional roach. I had noticed that there were indications of fish in the margin to my left, a lot earlier in the day than I expected fish to move in to margins. Now catching in the margins has never been a skill set I have managed consistently to crack yet, no time like the present to try out a Drennan Crystal Margin float to see if it made a difference. As with most places the water level had dropped considerably to normal, it was far to shallow close in by the bank so after plumbing up I found a decent depth about 3 Ft from the bank and potted in ground bait and sweetcorn. Laying the rig further out and drawing it back up the shelf to settle at the right depth gave an instant sail away bite with nice 4 Lb carp on. What was odd that subsequent margin catches were all bream of a very dark colour almost black, so maybe a hybrid.

Simon was catching steadily from the margin too, I did have a chuckle as he had taken a phone call and was happily talking away to a mate, with the phone to his ear with one hand hand, whilst playing a carp in open water with the other.

All too soon it was, time to pack up and call it a day, why does fishing time go 3 X faster than work time ? Good byes & handshakes exchanged and promises to meet up again in the Spring. Simon suggested we post it up as a MD fish in next year the more the merrier.
Nice write up Kevin, I must admit I like the idea of a MD fish in

Scribe

Site Supporter
Thanks @Chervil I don't think the management allow match fishing or keep nets on the site, but if there was enough interest I would certainly make enquiries. Lake 7 has 60 pegs so plenty of room. Maybe rather than a match it could be more of a 'Coach In' where some of the more experienced anglers could pass on some tips to newcomers and returning anglers.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
As always Kev, great craic when we meet up. I look forward to our days out at Eye Kettleby Lakes. Was interesting to see how your Daiwa whisker compared to my Tricast Excellence Pro. Whilst yours was a touch longer with your canal top 2, I think it i had not removed my number 1 the excellence would have been the longer pole. Anyway, I was really impressed how light and stiff your pole was. Whilst I’m happy with the Tricast, it was good to hold the Whisker.
I’ll be in touch before we come over next spring.... you didn’t do bad yourself in making that large breakfast disappear quickly?
Thanks for a great day mate?

Chervil

Site Supporter
Thanks @Chervil I don't think the management allow match fishing or keep nets on the site, but if there was enough interest I would certainly make enquiries. Lake 7 has 60 pegs so plenty of room. Maybe rather than a match it could be more of a 'Coach In' where some of the more experienced anglers could pass on some tips to newcomers and returning anglers.
Someone could teach me how to use a pole, never really tried. Stretton lakes allow nets (at the moment) and I assume you could hire their match lake. Just a thought.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Chervil sounds like a plan everyone could put down what they can teach & what they would like to learn a kind of Maggotdrowners Knowledge Swap.

Scribe

Site Supporter
As always Kev, great craic when we meet up. I look forward to our days out at Eye Kettleby Lakes. Was interesting to see how your Daiwa whisker compared to my Tricast Excellence Pro. Whilst yours was a touch longer with your canal top 2, I think it i had not removed my number 1 the excellence would have been the longer pole. Anyway, I was really impressed how light and stiff your pole was. Whilst I’m happy with the Tricast, it was good to hold the Whisker.
I’ll be in touch before we come over next spring.... you didn’t do bad yourself in making that large breakfast disappear quickly?
Thanks for a great day mate?

Always a cracking day Simon real pleasure when we get the chance to meet up. I might need to pick your brains about catching F1's & Ide in Autumn.

Take care mate (y)

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cannot wait until next July 12th for a week at this place.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Geoff P If you would like some company I would be happy to join you for a day.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Would be a pleasure, will be in contact nearer the date.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Look forward to it Geoff