Eye Kettleby tomorrow

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Going with the old man to Eye Kettleby tomorrow to try teach him some method feeder fishing.

Any tips for which lake would be best? Like the look of lake 4 feature wise judging by the pictures.

Arch

Site Supporter
Get there early. Lake 4 gets very busy. In between the islands would be my choice, but it's not my style of fishing. We were there a couple of weeks ago and I didn't fish lake 4. I fished 6 and 7. There was someone on 7 who fished the method, he had a few.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I would go with what @Arch has said. I have fished at Eye Kettleby quite a few times although not the method feeder, so can't really give you the info you need. It may be worth giving Michael Corker an e-mail michaeljcorker@gmail.com as he offers coaching at Eye Kettleby and might be able to give you a better idea.

rd115

They have a lot of skimmers there don't they? :LOL:

Lake 4 was rammed as expected (didn't get there early enough) so in my eagerness to get fishing I plonked myself on a nearly deserted lake 5. Nothing happening there apart from getting plagued by skimmers, a lot foul hooked at that.

Gave up after a couple hours and had some dinner.

Decided on the shallow end of key shaped lake (lake 7?) after dinner, the one behind it that's 12m to the island all the way around looked too busy.

Method feeder to the far side bushes produced 2 nice common carp around the 7lb mark and a mirror around maybe 4-5lbs, keeping them out of the snags and aerator paddle thing was a challenge on 4lb Maxima.

My dad lost a decent fish on Lake 7 just before we packed up. That's the best he managed all day save for a few skimmers and a roach.

So not a massively productive day but will likely return next year (y)

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you want carp on Lake 5 the best time is early evening, tight across or in the margins. There are loads of roach and skimmers in there, great if you are float fishing.

The key shaped one is that not Lake 3. Lake 7 is the long one with about 11 - 12 metres to the island

rd115

Yes lake 3, just checked :) Lake 7 was too busy so we ended up on Lake 3, fished the narrow end.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Did you fish the car park end. I’ve been going to Eye Kettleby Lakes for a few years now. Really love the place, we take our touring caravan there. Always meet up with a fellow MD Scribe (Kev) must get out of the habit of always going on lake 7. Some pegs are 15 metres wide. Glad to hear you both caught👍

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only fished Lake 7 once, prefer Lakes 3 - 6.

Some cracking crucians in Lake 3, kept me busy for a few hours one day of our holiday, and the carp in Lake 5 kept me busy some evenings.