Eye Kettleby lakes Melton Mowbray.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'm going tomorrow for a day trip and it's my first time. I'd like to try for a few roach on the whip and maybe a tench, crucian in the evening on the waggler. I know it's late in the day but anyone with some advice on what lake might be best for me?

Thank all.

Rich.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was there a couple of months ago and fished on Pool 5, on the bank nearest the glamping pods. Had loads of roach and skimmers on maggot, caster and worm, in fact they attacked every bait I used. In the margins in the evening I caught carp to about 8lb on sweetcorn and pellet.

I like the place and we are having a week or two there next year.

Arch

Site Supporter
We're thinking of going there in our caravan for a few days in Oct. May take my gear, not sure yet. Is it a nice site and can you get bait there ??

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I took my bait with me but I think there is a tackle shop in Melton Mowbray.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
I’m going at the end of the month with the wife and caravan. Will be the 4th time. We love the place fish most days whilst we are there, lake 7 is my favourite

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
We're thinking of going there in our caravan for a few days in Oct. May take my gear, not sure yet. Is it a nice site and can you get bait there ??

Hi Arch,

Melton Angling
15 Mill Street
Melton Mowbray
Leicestershire
LE13 1AY

Their new website is under construction. It's a good tackle shop, friendly helpful staff.

I only live 10 minutes away from Eye Kettleby so if you need any info give me a shout.

Cheers

The Big Fella

Hi

If you want loads of crucians only one place to go lake 3 at Eye kettleby it’s shaped like a key you want the narrow end of key 5-8mtrs on pole

Kinder cup in micros each put in with few bits of corn and 4mm expander on hook, you will get loads of crucians from 4ounce to over a pound with skimmers to a decent size as well 1 1/2lbish

The bottom is very uneven here so plumb up carefully

Carp tend to be tight across far bank on tip or bomb

The wide bit (bowl) of same lake 3 other end you will catch more silvers and skimmers on pole but less crucians little and often feed etc

Scribe

Site Supporter
Go on admit it you are all on coming over to sample the famous Melton Mowbray pork pies ! :LOL:

Arch

Site Supporter
We're at Wells-Next-The-Sea in the van ATM. I've got a weeks holiday to use up and as E K lakes is only 20 odd miles from home and the site gets great reviews, we thought we'd go for a few days. I'm not fussed about fishing whilst there, just somewhere to unwind and relax. I just enjoy being near water. So a stroll around the lakes with the dog, maybe a brekkie in the clubhouse and a beer later and that will be enough. If I do take kit, all the better.

As for the pork pies, they're good that's for sure. I'm more of a cheese fan myself. Do they make any nice cheese that way on ??

;);)

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Go on admit it you are all on coming over to sample the famous Melton Mowbray pork pies ! :LOL:
When we were there we went to the Tuesday market. a stall in there sold some lovely pork pies and one adjacent sold the best Stilton cheese I have ever tasted.

We are looking to go back next May/June and September.

Scribe

Site Supporter
They make both the pies & the stilton locally Geoff, we are very fortunate living here :LOL:

Rick123

Site Supporter
Pies for me and Stilton for the Mrs?

So lake 3 for crucians up to a pound. Are there any decent Roach on the complex out of interest? I just love decent Roach fishing.

Really grateful for all the help guys.

Rich.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Arch,
We were up in one of the lodges a few weeks back. All I heard from those using the caravan sites were good reviews. Especially as to regards the toilet/shower blocks. From what they were saying even though those on the older site are good, they are better on the newer one. The clubhouse is useful for lunch and the Sunday dinners were really nice (but book those early). There is a small selection of pellets, ground bait in the clubhouse, but as Scribe said the tackle shop in Melton Mowbray was excellent. It has some parking out front and a small car cark opposite.

Arch

Site Supporter
Just got back from Wells and everything put away. (I do not enjoy towing a caravan) :mad:

EK lakes are 25 miles away, so not too bad. I'd heard good reports about the tourer site. When i've calmed down a bit, i'll discuss it with the missus, may just go over with the van and not fish for the first trip.

Thanks guys. (y)

Rick123

Site Supporter
Just had two days fishing at the complex, amazing. Clean, loads of fish to around a pound and a half all on my two new Daiwa whips. I cannot wait for winter as the place looks as if it could be a winner. Update and pictures on my blog at the weekend.

Cheers to all for the help about fishing the place.

Rich.