eye kettlby lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny_01

I went there a few weeks back on lake three.

If you fish this lake in the margins with the depth being around 6ft you should get a nice net of tench and crucians. If carp and bream are more your thing try fishing in open water.

Lakes 5 & 7 I'm told are the best. I've fished lake 7 which has a large variety of species and you will get lots of bites. Lake 5 appears to be more carp dominated.

leejmar

what are the upto date rules, i didhear u can use nets for fish upto 3lb? what about method feeders etc?

The Big Fella

Hi,

Been fishing this venue regularly before Xmas and upto about March of this year.

http://eyekettlebylakes.com/lakes.asp

Most consistent lake by a long way and you are guaranteed plenty of bites is lake 7 (match lake) This has an island all way round at anything from 10mtrs - 12mtrs.
Small skimmers average 2-4ozs but go to 1 lb, roach, carp mainly only to approx 1 1/2 lbs, with a few odd uns to about 3lbs.

Good target weight anything from 20lbs -25lbs of fish in 5 hours, as the small fish will keep you busy all day pretty much guaranteed.

Baits Caster,Pellet, Maggot, or corn.

Pole or waggler is best down track or middle this time of year!

Also pretty consistent is lake 4 & 5 with the islands in it.
Plenty of crucians, tench to 1 lbs, and roach and skimmers on pole on lake 4! You can still catch 20-30 lbs of fish very close in on pole and maggot or pellet here if they are feeding but it is not as easy as lake 7 on occasions.

Alternatively on same lake alot of carp to 1 lb are caught close to islands on method or open end feeder, with a number of better carp that do go to 8lbs. So 20lbs plus is a pretty good weight on feeder this time of year as many of the carp are only 3/4 lbs to 1 1/2bs etc.

Lake 5 has slightly better fish in it around islands on bigger baits than lake 4. However you will probably get bitted out on maggot with small roach on pole or waggler. There are a few tench,and the skimmers go bigger as well on here than the other lakes.

This lake i feel is better in the warmer months when the carp patrolling the islands are having a bash.

Lake 3 has weird depths in it with it generally deeper close to you on shortish 5-8mtr pole line, and it being silted up the further you go over the lake.

Legering to far side gets the carp on bomb, method, or open end feeder
Really nice crucians in here on pole to a good size with quite a few good carp 4 - 8lbs and the odd doubles again put in an appearance.

Specimen lake does not have that many small fish in and from what I have seen but also does not seem to have loads of animals in either? Ive only walked round this lake but the general concensus is its got mainly carp to 6-8 lbs with the odd low double thrown in.

Im not saying there is none in just not that many seem to come out regular unless they only feed in the summer months only.

Hope this helps you.

leejmar

thx big fella, what lakes do u think will be in this year fisho? and what weight would u think will be needed, esp with that much people around the complex?

luremad

Barbelus Maximus
the specimen lake i have fished only once but i had a very enjoyable session even though it was blowing a gale and raining cats and dogs i had a few carp upto 8 pound but did lose something biiiiiig.
Have also fished lake three seemed full of crucians only used single maggot and had pretty much a net full plus bonus rudd,roach and ickle perch.

a very enjoyable place to fish havent fished there in summer yet so cant wait for that.

The Big Fella

fisho is a bit of a lottery on these lakes as in my opinion there are only a few lakes that it can be won off.

Certainly not lake 7, unlikely 2, or 6!

I would think lake 3 or 5 would be favourite, with a possibility of lake 4 if the decent carpies dont feed.

hope it helps

thorne

I usually fish the lakes in the winter.

Catch lots of perch on mainly double caster, usually a dozen plus of 1-8 and above best 3-12 so far.Plus some good roach and tench.

Best Carp 14-12 on a tiny bit of worm, winter again, 2-6 bottom, light quiver,2AA silding link.

Usually I am the only one there midweek when it's freezing.

leejmar

fishe lake 7 yesterday and had plenty of bites, but none of the fish i had were anybigger than a pound, well with the exception of 2 carp which were only just over the pound, i also found u got bitten out on any bait u put in, there were thousands of small fish 1-2" long. its been said before, but if u draw lake 7 in the fisho, then forget about winning it will NOT compete,

I also found out that all the lakes apart from lake 1 and 2 will be in, there r also no pegs marked, and unless they make an exception on the fish u can put in your net, then anythink over 2lb will have to weighed in, which will upset a lot of angler,

leejmar

i am starting to think about givin my ticket up, as i want to fish and compete, having your day decided at the draw is not the way it should be, how would u feel if u and 50 other anglers were only catching bits, when other angler on other lakes r catching 5lb+ fish?

Dont get me wrong its a nice place and clean, i shall be going again to try other lakes, but from what ive seen and been told by people there, unless u draw THE peg then forget about going to the final

Last edited:

danny_01

I wouldn't totally rule out lake 7. I understand that there are bigger fish in the other lakes but lake 7 is stuffed with small carp.

I found that if I fished the meat about 6ft off the far bank I managed to get through the small stuff and catch good sized skimmers and carp up to 4lb averaging 2lb one a chuck. Great fun and if you work hard I don't see why lake 7 is not capable of producing a match win.

The Big Fella

Hi,

I would really like to see these 2lb carp one a chuck!!!

Question do you weigh your fish or estimate them as they may not be the size you are stating? [?]

Three of us have fished this lake loads of times and whilst i have had an odd carp to just over 2lbs, and there are undoubtedly a few bigger ones unless they have been stocked recently i.e the last 2 months these number were not there![?]

When we have pleasure fished other lakes we have also walked over when its been matched up and watched for upto an hour, nobody has had 2lb fish one a bung despite good quality anglers fishing.

They have also tried fishing meat, corn, pellet, for the better stamp of fish and its not made much difference really. The fish have mainly been less than 1 lbs with alot around 10-12ozs, and a few around 2lb.

While I am definitely not calling you a liar, we always weigh our fish at end of the match and as they say the scales dont lie.

Failing that they must have stocked a load for the fishamania qualifier........[;)]

kev34

Lake 3 will throw up 1-2 good weights the rest even lake 5 will be won with 20lb or less........can`t beleive all them venues out there and they pick this dump,i live local to eye kettleby and rate myself as a decent angler and have not had a decent day on any of the lakes except lake 3 65lb on the method/20lb crucians at my feet.........so im glad i never got my ticket for fisho.........

Funny aint it that they have just built all new log cabins,spruced the place up a bit and get a fisho qualifier>?????????also ive heard that all the lakes have been stripped of a lot fish to fill up the residents lake (private for people on holiday).......Tell you now theres gonna be lots of moaning after this match[:(!]

leejmar

should of kept lakeview, atleast all the match lakes have a average size of fish, and very unpredictable(spelling) as to where the winner would come. from, yes a lot did struggle, but when u have lots of people fishing and walking the banks with cameras etc etc then its always going to fish harder

carpking

got a match this saturday on lake 4 any advice on tactics and depths would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance carpking

carpking

had me match this sat 18th aug 2007 fished lake 4 approx 5ft deep off the shelf it was wet windy and a total washout
drawn peg 14 with a blustary wind reight in my face tryed 10mtrs to no avail ended up fishing lhs margin for 19lb13oz
just enough to win the match by 11oz lot off small fish but can feed them out of swim average carp size about 1lb to 2lb 5oz enjoyed it yet again cant wait for summer

Status
Not open for further replies.