Extreme Fishing

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I'll fish in the cold if it is dryish and calm, but not in heavy snow.

I do miss my old club water back in Leicestershire where you could catch well on a floating bait even when there was ice on the water, I've found nothing similar here yet :(.

DSC04719.JPG

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'll fish in the cold if it is dryish and calm, but not in heavy snow.

I do miss my old club water back in Leicestershire where you could catch well on a floating bait even when there was ice on the water, I've found nothing similar here yet :(.

DSC04719.JPG
Was a pond in the village I grew up in where you could get carp off the top through holes in ice as they were so used to getting bread from people feeding the ducks that it didn’t really matter what time of year you tried it.

R0B

I went for an amble down the Ivel Sunday to see if i could find some slack for piking and on the way back it started to snow.

Thats the line. Luckily i realised it was the line as an hour later it was blanket snow.
What did it look like? I keep meaning to pop over there and travel light with some link ledgering. It's only a mile sway.

Neskin

What did it look like? I keep meaning to pop over there and travel light with some link ledgering. It's only a mile sway.
Actually looked alright, good colour to it, quite pacey but manageable.

Compared to the ouse it was pretty serene!

in line feeder

I used to fish in those conditions in the matches on the Yorkshire Ouse in my younger days. As you get older you feel the cold more and you need to look after yourself. I can remember one day a long time ago one of the lads stayed on after the match and when he got back to his car it wouldn’t start long before mobile phones and he slept in his car in freezing conditions. His wife rang round his mates to see where he was and one of them went back to the venue and rescued him. I am a fine weather angler now, not fishing matches now which I did for 47 years. But now fishing on the rivers for anything that swims.:)

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I remember a night on Orford Island, just off the Suffolk coast. Freezing fog, and everything froze. The loose shingle beach was like concrete. Problem was, we couldn't get off the island until 10 the next morning, when the harbour master came to get us.

Pilchy60

About 2 winters ago, after a match in January and being bloody freezing all day (nothing would keep my feet warm), I decided, that was it. When the clothing in the car exceeded the tackle quantity, that means it aint going to be fun. Usually put the gear away late Nov and it doesn't come back out again till there is a constant spell above double figures. If I'm honest, I really dont miss it, and appreciate the fishing more, when I do get out. Thankfully, now at an age and position that this decision can be made, and am very happy with that decision. See no pleasure at all in getting bone cold and miserable these days, and cannot justify the cost of 'heated clothing'...But if you are out....enjoy

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Being out on a cold day has never really bothered me. I find it quite invigorating. It's the wet days that I hate. It just makes everything hard work.

Midwater Brand Manager

Site Supporter
Smashed the ice to fish on Boxing Day once (just determined to try my new Diawa 13ft Carbon Match Rod lol back in the day) and caught roach and perch. Woke one morning to find three lines frozen into the water whilst carping. I think when anglers are enthusiastic they will go to any degree. Eskimo, Inuit, Greenlandic Inuit and Yupik would still consider us all part-time amateurs. lol.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When I was a kid my dad would often suggest fishing when the weather was extreme, wind, rain, blizzards etc. He would then put me in an awkward peg. I never realised, at the time, that he was training me. It worked; there are now very few situations where I can't cope. I am very grateful now, although I wasn't at the time and I used to get sick of the comment "c'mon Dave, if you can fish in this, you can fish in anything"