Extreme Fishing

martin22

Site Supporter
I don’t mind being out in that weather as long as you’ve got the right gear on I quite enjoy and it usually means you’ve got the water to yourself or very few other anglers,I’ve also found over the years you tend to learn more on them hard days,had to draw the line today though and packed up at 1pm as the pond had frozen over in front of me,litterally watched the ice forming all morning

Attachments

• BF36D45E-262A-4E95-835D-965B520E5949.jpeg
    BF36D45E-262A-4E95-835D-965B520E5949.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 25
  • 90216529-D5AC-424D-8691-6CB561E8611B.jpeg
    90216529-D5AC-424D-8691-6CB561E8611B.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 74DE7623-8FD9-44A1-B04F-A734D8F3766C.jpeg
    74DE7623-8FD9-44A1-B04F-A734D8F3766C.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0940.MOV
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D2FF13EC-47CF-430A-9C33-542AD4998E53.jpeg
    D2FF13EC-47CF-430A-9C33-542AD4998E53.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1538.MOV
    7.8 MB · Views: 0

martin22

Site Supporter
Not sure if the vids have added above

Attachments

• IMG_0940.MOV
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1538.MOV
    7.8 MB · Views: 0

The Runner

Site Supporter
Worst snow I've fished a match in was around 1990 on the Oxford Canal at Kidlington. Left Uxbridge on a lovely clear frosty morning, got through the cutting on the M40 at Stokenchurch and straight into a blizzard. After a quick consultation with my mate (the driver) we decided to keep going as we were past halfway. Hard work finding our pegs as already 2 or 3 inches of snow on the towpath and it kept getting heavier with those big wet flakes coming down all day; ended up with a drift at least 18 inches deep against the side of my brolly, had a brollyless Mick Vincent next to me who called it a day after three hours of increasingly resembling a snowman .
Finished with 4lb odd of gudgeon for either last in the frame or a section win, cant remember which. Mate had his section as well so back to the pub for the brown envelopes, to be asked straightaway by the landlord where we had to get back to. Apparently the snow had been so bad a bit further north that there was some doubt whether those who had come down from Coventry/ anywhere North of Banbury were going to be able to get home,,,

As Mick said earlier, have sea fished in worse. Remember an all nighter in a blizzard on Blyth Pier in Northumberland, had a big sheet of polythene tied between and along the railings on either side for a shelter, not a sound apart from the occasional foghorn, just watching the rod tips nod in the swell against a background that looked like one of those snowshakers. Was well worth it for the half dozen codling up to 5lb.

Wouldn't do it now though

drw

Site Supporter
Hi Runner, did you fish Oxford winter league at that time ?

The Runner

Site Supporter
Berkshire Winter League at that time for GX, then fished the Oxford Winter League for A4 from 95 to 99. Fished quite a lot of the opens on the canal all through that era, especially at Wolvercote which I loved.

drw

Site Supporter
A4 good team ! I fished for Gophers around that time on the OWL was Bob Camden in your squad at that time ?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I was fishing at a lake stuffed with small carp, near Romsey, in 1985 to try and catch one of the perch which were in the lake, which included the British record at the time. I figured that the carp would be less active, so targeting the perch would easier. It was close to freezing all day, and after a couple of hours it began to snow quite heavily. It was soon quite deep and I was getting a bit worried about my Dad arriving to collect me. I walked half a mile up to the crossroads on the A27, because I knew that the lane down to the lake would be impossible to drive on. I waited in the layby there, and about 10 cars pulled over to ask if I was ok, and if I needed a lift. I kept telling them I was ok. It was getting very cold, and I began to wonder if I should take the offer of a lift to somewhere warm with a phone.Luckily he managed to fight his way through and arrived just before my resolve crumbled. I never went fishing when snow was possible again.

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
IMG-20210124-WA0001.jpeg
Fished a new lake today. Its 5 minutes from home and apparently been netted. Few weeks back saw couple of guys fishing it for pike. Chatted with them and they had had 9 between them to 17lb. Only one for me today but it was a pb. Felt deserved after a full day in the snow

Kojak

Not seen Kojac on here for a while Wise Owl. 🤔
I was on here last week mate, I've had many sessions and matches in the freezing cold mate, one of those matches I remember Dave Geldart falling in while breaking the ice and I took him back to my house to get a change of clothes before we got started!
I had the rod rings freezing up on Saturday when I visited the local lake, freezing fog and mostly frozen over but still manages a few.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I was on here last week mate, I've had many sessions and matches in the freezing cold mate, one of those matches I remember Dave Geldart falling in while breaking the ice and I took him back to my house to get a change of clothes before we got started!
I had the rod rings freezing up on Saturday when I visited the local lake, freezing fog and mostly frozen over but still manages a few.
Wow ! Falling in a frozen water. Good grief. I bet that took his breath away ? I saw a lad fall in Wintersett reservoir many many years ago when it was freezing cold. He slipped while wading out to his rod rests and Keepnet. It was in the days of waders that had metal studs on the bottom. Lethal in winter those things weren’t they.

Respect for getting out though Kojak. 👍. Frozen up solid around here again apart from a piece of water low side of Sykehouse lock where the Black Death have descended. 😩

Wise Owl

Account Locked
AAre ya Still fishing with my Little mate Cossy Paul ? if so give him my Regards (y)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I couldn't hack coarse fishing in the snow these days, but as several have said, there's something about sitting behind a shelter on a beach, and watching shooting stars, with a Tilley Lamp hissing away, as big fat snowflakes settle around you.
And a plump codling is the best thing known to Man for warming your hands. It really does work!

smiffy

Site Supporter
I would guess anyone that used to fish a winter league has sat there in similar conditions. It’s not fun.
I remember one match on the Old Nene at Benwick. I drew out of the village in the fields, an almost dead cert blank in those conditions. Snow straight in the moosh and blanking. Two hours to go turned the brolly round so I could shelter behind it but wasn’t able to fish and stayed like that until the all out.

My name was drawn out of the hat for the section though😂😂

Simon R

Site Supporter
Couple of local lads on Hemlington Lake yesterday
Ice-breaker just bouncing off it, so it was on with the chest waders

1611583838532.png 1611583711405.png

They caught too (y)

1611583997576.png

Simon

Neskin

I went for an amble down the Ivel Sunday to see if i could find some slack for piking and on the way back it started to snow.

Thats the line. Luckily i realised it was the line as an hour later it was blanket snow.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have had to break the nice on my ponds twice today. Had a sort of slushy film on them yesterday but today was proper solid ice. First time they’ve frozen since I’ve had them. Thought they’d freeze in the few hard frosts we’ve had but it’s taken full on proper snow to freeze them. Guess the residual water temperature was still too high before but now they are well chilled.

Fish are fine but not remotely interested in food so wouldn’t fancy being out fishing in this. I wouldn’t mind winter fishing if the sport was better but it’s usually hard for coarse fishing in these parts. Never seems too bad at sea as there’s actual proper winter fish to catch, just feels a bit mad being at sea when it’s stupidly cold 😅