Extreme Fishing

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That is certainly way too extreme for me! It's nice having a walk in the snow but wouldn't want to be sat in it for any length of time let alone fishing!

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Will happily fish in already set snow, But I won't fish if snow is actively falling.
The posted picture does not look like an appealing session.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mmmmmm. Steve Toone match Beeston canal in the eighties. We all looked like that. Stan Peache won it with a gudgeon and one roach for an ounce and half if memory serves me. I’ve done some daft matches. 🙄

Wise Owl

Account Locked
That picture reminds me of a Match at Raker on Horseshoe, if i Remember @Kojak won it i drew on peg 14 the first Corner i think and it started to Snow and Snow and Snow, i packed up and went to the Pub in the village to get warm, as i was Trollying past the Lads the Holdalls and Bags were under 4 inch of snow. Remember that one @Kojak ?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Many years ago my brother in law Chris persuaded me to fish a small lake on a farm out in Essex that was owned by his boss.
The lure was that it hadn't been fished in the 15 years that his boss had owned the farm. Chris picked me up on a cold January morning and we drove over there, had breakfast with his boss and made our way to the lake. Only about half an acre if that but a lot of the bank was unfishable but we found a couple of swims opposite each other where we could fish comfortably and got on with it. Chris set up a feeder as he had the wind blowing into him but I had it behind me so went with a simple 2bb waggler set up to fish maggot in the 6 ft of water in front of me,

All the time it was getting cooler and the sky had a heavy grey look to it, but Chris was off the mark with a couple of decent skimmers and I had managed 3 and a couple of roach around the 8oz mark. Then it started snowing as the wind got up, big old flakes so up with the brolly which kept me well sheltered. Chris in the opposite swim wasn't so lucky though as it was blowing straight into him making it really awkward for him.

The snow got harder and harder but for me at least the fishing just kept getting better as Roach after Roach came to the net, a good stamp too 8ozs-1lb. After a while I realise that I couldn't actually see Chris on the other bank in what appeared by now to be blizzard conditions.

Half an hour later The Abominable Snowman appeared by my side, well it was Chris actually :LOL: covered in snow from head to foot and shivering almost uncontrollably, he'd had to give it best as he was being blinded by snow blowing into his face. I reluctantly had to pack up although I was still catching well and had probably had 30-35lbs of fin perfect Roach to that point.

Sadly Chris changed jobs a month later and I never had another chance to return to the lake that had provided a memorable session that's still fondly remembered, at least by me. ;)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I took these two for a coaching session yesterday. Both caught as we physically watched the lake begin to freeze over in the margins. It was actually a pleasurable 4 hour session. Fully recommend it :D

20210123_093856.jpg

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That picture reminds me of a Match at Raker on Horseshoe, if i Remember @Kojak won it i drew on peg 14 the first Corner i think and it started to Snow and Snow and Snow, i packed up and went to the Pub in the village to get warm, as i was Trollying past the Lads the Holdalls and Bags were under 4 inch of snow. Remember that one @Kojak ?
Not seen Kojac on here for a while Wise Owl. 🤔

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
been there done that, even went sea fishing with snow falling. as long as i can safely get to the fishery and back again then all good

squimp

Site Supporter
Many years ago my brother in law Chris persuaded me to fish a small lake on a farm out in Essex that was owned by his boss.
The lure was that it hadn't been fished in the 15 years that his boss had owned the farm. Chris picked me up on a cold January morning and we drove over there, had breakfast with his boss and made our way to the lake. Only about half an acre if that but a lot of the bank was unfishable but we found a couple of swims opposite each other where we could fish comfortably and got on with it. Chris set up a feeder as he had the wind blowing into him but I had it behind me so went with a simple 2bb waggler set up to fish maggot in the 6 ft of water in front of me,

All the time it was getting cooler and the sky had a heavy grey look to it, but Chris was off the mark with a couple of decent skimmers and I had managed 3 and a couple of roach around the 8oz mark. Then it started snowing as the wind got up, big old flakes so up with the brolly which kept me well sheltered. Chris in the opposite swim wasn't so lucky though as it was blowing straight into him making it really awkward for him.

The snow got harder and harder but for me at least the fishing just kept getting better as Roach after Roach came to the net, a good stamp too 8ozs-1lb. After a while I realise that I couldn't actually see Chris on the other bank in what appeared by now to be blizzard conditions.

Half an hour later The Abominable Snowman appeared by my side, well it was Chris actually :LOL: covered in snow from head to foot and shivering almost uncontrollably, he'd had to give it best as he was being blinded by snow blowing into his face. I reluctantly had to pack up although I was still catching well and had probably had 30-35lbs of fin perfect Roach to that point.

Sadly Chris changed jobs a month later and I never had another chance to return to the lake that had provided a memorable session that's still fondly remembered, at least by me. ;)
Great story.

It sounds a bit like the small lake at Little Easton manor nr Great Dunmow (North Essex).

I once fished there in hideous winter conditions with a few mates and we all had bags of nice roach. Remarkable fishing.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Many years ago were fishing a small tributary of the river swale in North Yorkshire, it was one of those venues where you took a couple fish from each peg and moved on. About lunchtime it started to snow, very gently at 1st but getting gradually worse, this sort coincided with us starting to catch quite well so we fished on, the stretch we were fishing had a lot of trees along the bank so we didn't quite realise how heavy the snow had got, we packed up as it was getting dark only to find about 6 inches of snow in the field as we made our way back to the car and it was still snowing quite heavy.... I looked at my 3.0 capri and thought.... Bugger..!
After about 30 minutes we got it along the farm track to the main road then on to a very snowy A1M heading north to Durham. All the way up we seemed to be the only car on the motorway and the traffic news on the radio was say the A1M was closed at points we were just passing, finally got home to Durham around 8:00 after setting off around 3:30 for what would normally be a journey of less than an hour

rudd

Site Supporter
Fished in freezing fog on a beach.
Very cold night and fog rolled in.
When shingle freezes, rods and line frost up and tilley lamp glass implodes you know its time to leave.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
These were taken fishing the River Aire for Pike with Teepee back in the winter of 2005 at Egborough Power Station.
It was absolutely freezing but steam was coming off the water with it being warmed from the station...

1611515519628.jpeg

1611515708502.jpeg

1611515722885.jpeg

1611515734125.jpeg

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
been there done that, even went sea fishing with snow falling. as long as i can safely get to the fishery and back again then all good
Snow like that never bothered us when we were sea fishing

done a night in sub zero snow on the admiralty at dover, line kept freezing in the rings, and where the tilly was it sorta melted the snow that fell around it then froze it hard to the stone floor

wouldnt coarse fish in it these days though