Experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Years ago, the word expert was defined to me as follows:-

EX as in used to be (eg. ex-wife, therefore 'has been')
SPURT A drip under pressure.
As you know (ha ha ha ) I am a very tolerant man, but sometimes I read something in the comics that makes me wonder if I'm on God's earth or Fullers!
In the Angler's Mail this week, We are introduced to a New Expert on the Subject of Chub Fishing. It caught my eye as both Jel and Mookie have made some nice posts over our old Chevin mate recently.
This 'New' top scouse (Sorry Dave , Disown him!) finishes off his tips with a suggestion to weigh them quickly as they gorge food , but regurgitate it quickly on capture. Quote "An Angler fed 1 fish 1lb of cheese and 3 slices of bread in an afternoon.A nice weight gain if you caught it straight after"
So! this expert and all his reported catches, with their weights, has now in my eyes reduced himself to a guy who weighs 4lb fish ,stuffed with 1/2 a kilo of various feeds and claims them as 5lb+ fish!
What about the match situation? The weigh in can't be before the final whistle, so how do you arrange to catch them late on?
I remember in the 70's controversy surrounding the supposed cheating by some Anglers of shoving bombs down fishes throats to add weight!
Whilst not as extreme, his article made me wonder whom he is trying to kid?
Himself?, does he really feel justified in claiming a weight for a fish that he knows is 20% inflated by food that will be absorbed or expelled?
The public? The write-up lead in claims his best year was 46 4lbrs and 4 five pounders to 5lb 8 ozs. Not exceptional,I think you would agree, particularly if many of those fish were reported up to 2lb overweight as his article advocates.
To me it is simply cheating yourself to follow this practice and demeans the mans status, making me suspect all the other advice in the article, some of which may be good.
Or am I getting old?
cebrain2_e0.gif

Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

scouse

'River Man'
hi trev
you know us scousers
liars, cheats, muggers,
so give us some credit for feeding the poor fish
with lots of cheese and bread LOL
tightlines my mate, dave(scouse)

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave!!!!!!
Don't take that wrong,Scousers are the salt o the earth in my estimation, rarely met 1 without an incredible sense o humour!
Thats why I said disown him!
You aint telling me all the marvellous advice you've given me about Cavan is full of 2lb Roach with Bacon Sarnies shoved in their Cakeholes lol!
Do you agree with this guy?
Cya m8

Trev

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Cyprinid_boy

Bombs down fishes throats!! I remeber a well known match angler trying to weigh in over 3 lbs of hemp with his fish! "it must have fallen in the keepnet" he claimed. Once the hemp was removed his catch was an impressive 1lb 12oz. He came last on the section, a deserved result.

Cyp.

scouse

'River Man'
HI Trev
it was only tongue in cheek remark
you know me,
i have not read it but ill try and get a copy.
I wonder what river he was on, the severn, or ribble,dane,
(your salt of the earth mate dave)
tightlines dave(scouse)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
bouncer.gif jump.gif

Excellent picture Dave

Dave

paul mc

Hi Trev
sounds to me like this so called expert is telling a fishy tale, surely a chub couldnt eat that much in one session and if it could they wouldnt be hard to catch so we wouldnt need experts on them.

Regards Paul Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.