Experiment foul hookers.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Guys, I'm sure you have not missed my talking about foul hooking margin fish on my local commercial. Well, yesterday I tried a different way of hooking my pellets from the normal band. I try my pellets on with 20 turns so the pellet band sits at the end of the hook, almost on the round. But this can turn and the pellet does not look nice on the hook. So I went back to a hair rig and drilled pellets 8mm in the idea that the pellet and hook should have some separation at least, even if its small. With no hair movement in theory the carp can deject the bait along with the hook as there is no separation or slack. The original hair as I'm sure you all know was 1'' making the hook and bait difficult to eject as the bait weight pull the hook down into the mouth. When on a band the hook sits at the bottom of the hook shank tight (well mine do mostly) and its easy to eject for the fish. I still used a band, but pulled it through the hole in the bait. This allows you to vary the hair length. I started with about 2mm on a size 14s Guru QM1 and it worked a treat all fish hooked, none spooked as before. No foul hooked fish either this time. Some of the fish before were spooking, I think mouthing the bait, feeling the hook and off. Some would be hooked obviously, but as many spooked or were foul hooked. Maybe not the silver bullet, but I'm working on it guys. Hope you're all still awake?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Isn't that what fishing is all about? It's nice when all is sorted and you know what's working. Nice one. :upthumb:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Guys, I'm sure you have not missed my talking about foul hooking margin fish on my local commercial. Well, yesterday I tried a different way of hooking my pellets from the normal band. I try my pellets on with 20 turns so the pellet band sits at the end of the hook, almost on the round. But this can turn and the pellet does not look nice on the hook. So I went back to a hair rig and drilled pellets 8mm in the idea that the pellet and hook should have some separation at least, even if its small. With no hair movement in theory the carp can deject the bait along with the hook as there is no separation or slack. The original hair as I'm sure you all know was 1'' making the hook and bait difficult to eject as the bait weight pull the hook down into the mouth. When on a band the hook sits at the bottom of the hook shank tight (well mine do mostly) and its easy to eject for the fish. I still used a band, but pulled it through the hole in the bait. This allows you to vary the hair length. I started with about 2mm on a size 14s Guru QM1 and it worked a treat all fish hooked, none spooked as before. No foul hooked fish either this time. Some of the fish before were spooking, I think mouthing the bait, feeling the hook and off. Some would be hooked obviously, but as many spooked or were foul hooked. Maybe not the silver bullet, but I'm working on it guys. Hope you're all still awake?
Reminded me of just banding a pellet and hooking the band and sliding it up to the middle of the bend in the hook , used to do that often ,no hair rig just normal tied hooks so i can swap and change between maggot and corn or worm or maggot e,c,t

Rick123

Site Supporter
Thanks Guys. I know I go on a bit, but I come from a big fish back-ground and find some of what I have learned, helps in my now pleasure fishing. Robert I find that works with bigger baits and hooks, not tried it on small hooks. Regards.