Expanders - Skrettings or Coppens?

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I've just bought a sack of Coppens 2mm pellets and my pal tells me they go to mush and that a mix of both types is what you want, but only using a quarter of Coppens. That means I have about fifty years worth of Coppens!! Can anyone recommend a way to make the 2mm Coppens work for hybrid, method and pellet feeder work?
There is two type of coppen pellets, Premium coarse pellets and carp course , it's the coarse carp pellets which break down quickly, but they are actually better than the slow breakdown coppins premium pellet for what you want them to do.

1. The ideal pellet for Hybrid & method are 2mm Skrettings, soaked for about a minute and kept damp, they have a natural stickiness to cling to the method.
2. The premium coppins coarse pellets are slow breakdown, but trying to use them on a method is not easy, they do not have a stickiness ,you need a bit of groundbait mixed in or use some powdered horlics to them to make them stick.

3 if you do have the quick breakdown Coppins coarse pellets, they are still very good for the method, cover with water and watch your second hand ,soak for just 45 seconds and empty into a sieve to get the water off, about 15 minutes later they should be ready for the method, if you think they are to wet you can add just a bit of dry un mixed ground bait to them, enough so they still stick, but enough for fast breakdown once on the bottom. If to dry just dip your hand in a bit of water and work into your pellets.

JLK

Coppens 2mm don't turn to mush at all. They are the complete opposite of skrettings.
I use coppens for method feeder and skrettings for the margins as they break down quicker.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Coppens 2mm don't turn to mush at all. They are the complete opposite of skrettings.
I use coppens for method feeder and skrettings for the margins as they break down quicker.
There is two types of coppens pellets, one with a fast breakdown, and one where they stay in pellet form for 3 hours

JLK

Didn't know that as the shop I always buy mine from must only sell the slow breakdown coppens. I'll ask him tomorrow. I prefer those anyway. 👍🏻

fishingcrazy

I've just bought a sack of Coppens 2mm pellets and my pal tells me they go to mush and that a mix of both types is what you want, but only using a quarter of Coppens. That means I have about fifty years worth of Coppens!! Can anyone recommend a way to make the 2mm Coppens work for hybrid, method and pellet feeder work?
it really depends how long you soke them for I soke mine for around a one and a half minutes
then poor the water away by the time the match starts they are perfect.

Simmo

Went for the Coppens 2mm coarse pellets and they work fine. I just use a pellet soaker and leave them for 2 mins. I'm catching bream using the method feeder in just shy of 20ft of water and if I give the mould a good squeeze they stay put. As the day goes by, they start to dry out and lose their stickiness so I just wet my fingers and stir them round to make them sticky again. Had 16 bream all around the 4lb mark on my last trip to Star Carr so can't grumble. Thing I need to sort out now is bait presentation ( this method business is all new to me) plenty of indications on the tip so I know that the pellets are still on the feeder, I wait until the tip wraps around but sometimes, despite it looking as though a fish is on, when I pick the rod up, there's nothing there. I'm happy with the Coppens pellets but feel as though the bait position in relation to the hook needs sorting out now in order to improve the hooking efficiency of the rig. I'm using banded 4mm hard pellets on a size 16 KKM. I always think that banded hook setups look pig ugly to be honest regardless of how they are tied so am never actually happy no matter how I do them.I find it hard to believe that fish fall for them at all!! 😂

Simmo

Just to add to my original post:
I bought a 15kg sack of Skrettings 4mm expanders to use when fishing soft pellet on the pole, on the hook and loosefeed. They work just the same as the ones I used to buy in the late 90's. I do them the day before I'm going. Into a bait tub, pour on boiling water, press em down very lightly with a spud masher for 5 mins to squeeze most of the air out. Then into a riddle, give em a good rinse under the cold tap, shake the excess water off and then back into the bait tub. Pour on the flavouring, then I stretch a sandwich bag over the tub opening and to seal it and then put the lid on. Give them a good shake around to mix the flavouring and then bung them in the fridge. Now and again I'll just give them a shake around just to make sure they aren't sticking. Spot on every time , no floaters and nice and soft for the hook. 👍🏼

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Can I ask a total newbie question please? No wish to hijack the thread but I'm curious.

What purpose do expander pellets serve? I've only used pellets for last season and before that, they hadn't been adopted by anglers so much when I fished last.

Feed pellets are rock hard, but you can drill them. Soft hook pellets are also available, so where do expanders fit into it?

Cheers.

PS. Aren't skrettings and copens all from the EU? Price increase imminent I'd have thought?

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Simmo, them Coppins 2mm coarse pellets also make a nice Sticky paste, Cover them to the top of the pellets with boiling water, leave for 20 minutes undisturbed and then mash into a paste with a fork, if you try to do it to early and disturb the boiling water it cools the water to much and breakdown is not as good.