Expanders - Skrettings or Coppens?

Simmo

I'm looking to buy pellets in bulk the way I used to do 12 years ago. When I bought them it was just a 25kg bag of 4mm expanders and that was that. No identification on the sacks. It seems to be more confusing nowadays what with Skrettings and Coppens etc etc . I presume that most of the pellets nowadays are one or the other in various guises. I'll tell you how I prepared them and that might help with the answers regarding which one I need:
I half filled a 3.3pt bait tub with pellets and then poured boiling water on them and left them for exactly 5 minutes. As they were soaking I'd gently press them down with a potato masher to push the air out. After 5 mins I'd pour them into a riddle and wash them over with cold water and drain them off. Back into the bait tub, add a dollop of liquid brasem and mix em up and they were ready for the next day and good to go. Stayed on the hook fine and not one of them floated.

So now I'm unsure whether to buy Coppens or Skrettings expanders. I'd hate to buy a 25kg sack and find out that they all turn to mush when I scald them but at the same time I'd obviously not want them all to float because they don't soak water in very quickly.

From what I've read, Skrettings look to be the type I probably used to get but I thought I best check before going any further.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I'm looking to buy pellets in bulk the way I used to do 12 years ago. When I bought them it was just a 25kg bag of 4mm expanders and that was that. No identification on the sacks. It seems to be more confusing nowadays what with Skrettings and Coppens etc etc . I presume that most of the pellets nowadays are one or the other in various guises. I'll tell you how I prepared them and that might help with the answers regarding which one I need:
I half filled a 3.3pt bait tub with pellets and then poured boiling water on them and left them for exactly 5 minutes. As they were soaking I'd gently press them down with a potato masher to push the air out. After 5 mins I'd pour them into a riddle and wash them over with cold water and drain them off. Back into the bait tub, add a dollop of liquid brasem and mix em up and they were ready for the next day and good to go. Stayed on the hook fine and not one of them floated.

So now I'm unsure whether to buy Coppens or Skrettings expanders. I'd hate to buy a 25kg sack and find out that they all turn to mush when I scald them but at the same time I'd obviously not want them all to float because they don't soak water in very quickly.

From what I've read, Skrettings look to be the type I probably used to get but I thought I best check before going any further.
Both of those are usually used as hard feed pellets ,copens are harder and sink quicker than skrettins ,both need a little water just for a few seconds to stop any floaters but only wet the ones you will use that day . You can use them on the hook soft if left for a good while ,skrettings will mush easier. Id reccomend buying dedicated expanders from sonubaits or other manufacturers in small bags . Both of those are mainly used to feed as i said or banded for use .

Last edited:

Simmo

Used for loose feed and for the hook. I used to take around 6-1/2 pints to a match and if the bream were having it shallow I could quite easily use the lot in a 5hr match. Depended on the day really. I kept them in sealed buckets in the garage and they would obvioulsy do me for ages. Much cheaper than buying the same stuff in kilo bags and paying for the 'branded' stuff.

Silver fan 82

I would have thought with skrettings if you soak with boiling water for 5 minutes you would end up with a mushy mess in my experience.

Simmo

Yep, that was my reason for the original question. I wondered if anyone else had used the bulk sacks and prepared them the way I used to do it. Mine were ready to use after about 15 mins and never a floater among them. I only did them the night before so that the flavour I glugged on had time to soak in properly. I used to use a fair bit and so it was quite strong to start with. That method served me very well over the years though. Last count, I had 52 trophies and lots of league wins too. I did (might still do) have the sunday match record for the lake I used to fish but sadly it's gone downhill now which is a shame. Now I live nearly 100 miles away from there so I've lost touch with the lads I fished with.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Simmo, we are talking about the same thing, expander pellets? To be honest I did not think they had been around for all that time, years and such. Are you sure its expanders buddy?

Fishfinderuk

I do buy in bulk,works out a little cheaper. I buy from British aqua feeds,Google them,free delivery and they arrive within a few days.big choice of feed,expander pellets. Highly recommended them.

Simmo

Simmo, we are talking about the same thing, expander pellets? To be honest I did not think they had been around for all that time, years and such. Are you sure its expanders buddy?
Yes mate, 4mm expanders, used to buy them from Cookes in Rotherham but never actually found out what make they were. I'm talking mid 2000 to when I stopped going in 2009. Cookes are still going apparently so I might get in touch with them and see if they know what they had back then. I'm thinking though that Coppens/Skrettings are the norm nowadays so just wanted to know which of these can be softened to use on the hook and loosefeed too without them falling to bits.

Simmo

I do buy in bulk,works out a little cheaper. I buy from British aqua feeds,Google them,free delivery and they arrive within a few days.big choice of feed,expander pellets. Highly recommended them.
Will do, thanks for that. Do you buy Skrettings or Coppens? Looking to soak them, flavour them and use them straight on the hook as opposed to banding em.

Simmo

Sonubaits are obviously very good but I still want to buy in bulk. These would be around £200 for 25kg.

Last edited:

Simmo

Yep I know. That's how I always did it. Buy a 25kg sack of 4mm, stick a bin liner in a big bucket, bit like the big ones you buy bulk paint in, (I used to get them free from work) fill the bucket with pellets, twist the neck of the bag and then clip the lid on the bucket. Stick em all on shelves in the garage and they would do me for a couple of seasons and were always fine. Far cheaper than buying the 'proper' ones.

RichDell

I've just bought a sack of Coppens 2mm pellets and my pal tells me they go to mush and that a mix of both types is what you want, but only using a quarter of Coppens. That means I have about fifty years worth of Coppens!! Can anyone recommend a way to make the 2mm Coppens work for hybrid, method and pellet feeder work?