Expanders Shallow

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkylover

Ding Dang Do
I fish a venue with a high count of F1s, now the method at this place is to spray micros or expanders and fish an expander on the hook to catch shallow.

Now the problem is as you can imagine the expander all too quickly gets ripped of and youre in and out with the pole from 13m.

Ive tried banded hard pellet but they wont have it, dont ask why its not like they give it a quick poke with a fin to see if its hard or soft but they just seem to know.

Anyone out there had any similar experiences and how do you overcome it, I need to be connecting with more fish rather than spending all my time shipping in and out.

Thanks in advance

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
F1s can be very difficult to catch shallow and this may or may not help you!

I can't see that the F1s will not have a hard pellet, its all I use for them shallow. 90& of the time you will see me feeding and banding (on a hair rig) a 6mm pellet.

My guess is that you are using a fast sinking pellet on the hook and it is not acting the same way as your losefeed, where the expander is sinking slower. Keep your bait falling through the water don't just let the rig sit there and fire bait at it.

Feed and fish on the hook a low oil coarse pellet of the same size, if you are feeding micros the fish will get preoccupied with them and ignore a bigger offering.

Simple

Sikea
I had this problem and I switched to using the VDE fishmeal(white) pellet. It stays on the hook a treat.
Its a good alternative I find.

chunkylover

Ding Dang Do
Yes, thanks for that. Not sure myself why they'll have the expander before the hard pellet.

Another small problem you may have encountered is they back away from the pole as soon as its over there heads, anyway around this one ??

chunkylover

Ding Dang Do
Originally posted by SimpleSimon

I had this problem and I switched to using the VDE fishmeal(white) pellet. It stays on the hook a treat.

Are they in a blue bag Simon ? I think they are called elite pellets maybe ?

groundhog

Life Survivor
use a longer length of line between tip of pole & float chunkylover.

Simple

Sikea
Originally posted by chunkylover

Originally posted by SimpleSimon

Are they in a blue bag Simon ? I think they are called elite pellets maybe ?

No mate they are in a plastic tub.

Simple

Sikea
This is them...

Datafile11.asp

fishing_gary

try to pup the expander with gelitin or let the gelitin go off a bit or go to you local angling shope and ask for gel pellets from van den eynde

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
Originally posted by chunkylover

Yes, thanks for that. Not sure myself why they'll have the expander before the hard pellet.

Another small problem you may have encountered is they back away from the pole as soon as its over there heads, anyway around this one ??

This is quite common with F1s, just use a 0.4g or 0.5g float with a longer line and swing it beyond the pole tip, and don't feed beyond the floats range.

missabite

A bit trial and error this.

If they will only take expanders then try banding a few dry expanders, then put them in water to expand. Then you have a banded expander [:D] They will stay on a lot longer and could sort your problem out.

Status
Not open for further replies.