Expanders in groundbait

CarpCatcher86

Do any of you use expanders in groundbait, either for balling in or filling a feeder? Does anyone use expanders mixed in with pellets for filling a feeder?
If so, how do you prepare them? Do you soak/pump them as normal, do you let them soak up water from the grounbait/pellets, or do you just use them for the hook?

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I think some people use them as a case of matching the hatch.

Places that are fished with a lot of expander can be worth adding milled expander to your groundbait.

Can buy it already milled but can wizz up your own in a liquidiser. Add it dry to your dry groundbait and then wet it all up as normal.

I do something similar with Cell boilies, wizz them up into powder and then mix in with my wetted micros for places like Barston that see a lot of bivvy boys chucking boilies in.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Tend to avoid adding any bait that needs to stay moist to groundbait, whole hemp especially, but i would include expanders in that too. Danger is the groundbait soaks up the moisture and the bait then floats. Either of those two crushed however can make for an active mix that clouds and fizzes.

In terms of pellet prep, i have always pumped expanders, but know of others that soak them and then store tight in a bag and then also seen others that just add them to cold water in a sealed pot and job done. I would be interested too, to know if anyone uses either of the latter and seemingly easier ways to prep them.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Tend to avoid adding any bait that needs to stay moist to groundbait, whole hemp especially, but i would include expanders in that too. Danger is the groundbait soaks up the moisture and the bait then floats. Either of those two crushed however can make for an active mix that clouds and fizzes.

In terms of pellet prep, i have always pumped expanders, but know of others that soak them and then store tight in a bag and then also seen others that just add them to cold water in a sealed pot and job done. I would be interested too, to know if anyone uses either of the latter and seemingly easier ways to prep them.
I use both. Dynamite ones which need pumping & Sonubait ones which you can simply soak in a sealed container for a few hours.
Personally I think the Sonubaits are better as they stay firm for Longer. The dynamite ones go too mushy after a couple of hours fishing, I find.