Expander Pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyexcuse

I didnt get alot of chance down my way to practice some of the techniques you see in the angling mags. However, with carp venues now on the increase locally, I'm starting to experiment. I've got hold of some Sillibait Expander Pellets and a bait-pump, but I cant say I'm getting 100% success in getting them to sink. Should you soak them first then use the pump, or dont they need soaking at all before they go in the pump? If they do need soaking first,for how long?

Wannabe carp bagger

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

ray

dont know about the pump but all i do is soak expanders in cold water for about an hour/hour, then put them onto a maggot riddle and press them to get rid of any air/excess water.

pop a few into the sink or a bowl of water to make sure they sink then bag em and fridge em overnight.....should be spot on.

if you want to flavour or colour your pellets, add the flavour/colour to the water you soak em in.

ray.

prepare your meat at home and bin the tin.
"clean banks campaign"

ray

p.s. it helps to have a bait box of water next to you when you use them, before you put one on the hook, pop it into the water to make sure it sinks, if not, give a squeeze under the water.

ray.

prepare your meat at home and bin the tin.
"clean banks campaign"

TINY

Tiny
I do exactly what Ray does except mine are soaked for two hours.
Andy

scoobs11

not that i'm trying to confuse the issue but i pour boiling water on em , leave for five mins then drain em .

by the time i get to the pond and get set up (about an hour) they are ready for a quick squeeze under water and there you go a tub of sinkers.

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

TINY

Tiny
Thats another good way of doing them,but I found if you dont turn them over at some point the ones on the bottom turn into a sludgy blob.
Andy

Thats got to hurt!!!

anyexcuse

So what you're trying to tell me lads is that it's not a precise science!!!lol. Me thinks though my bait pump could be a bit of a tackle tart's accessory.

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

martin.

Account Locked
stick a shimano lable on it & larry will buy it

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

chris grant

Hi, - see your from south wales - Im from Pontypridd.

Get yourself some ringers expanders - they are brilliant - just do what it says on the packet - dont bother with the bait pump.

There are some good venues around south wales that can respond to some of these methods you read in the angling mags. Some good ones are Hazel Court and Sevenoaks by Cowbridge,Cefn Mabley outside Cardiff to name a few. Alternatively, it is a bit of a trek but worth while Docklow Pools (its brilliant)or another place that I am going to try this year - Hill View - Twekesbury.

On the pellet
front try the van der eyde juicy pellets or the tubs of Ringer hookers. Incidently, do you fish whitesprings - is it any good. Oh I forgot what about Ian Heaps place down Tenby way

anyexcuse

Hi Chris
Down my way you have to use what you can get. However a trip to Cardiff/Newport might be called for - now what does the wife want?(cant beat a bit of bribery & corruption in married life!!).
Now I've bought myself a van for fishing(well I didnt tell the wife that-but I think she guessed), I hope to expand my horizons a bit, so will be probably coming up Cardiff way.There's a welsh fishin' in August at Hazel Court but I'll probably go there before then.
I've only fished Whitesprings 3 times(the last being last W/E with Geoff P,Dai Fish & Beebs). Again transport's been a problem until recently.Geoff P has fished it quite a bit and rates it quite highly. Last w/e the fishing was a bit slow but then again we're only in Jan.
Ian Heaps' Fishery seems to fish all year. Quite a few of my club's members fish the matches down there. To me its a bit of a long haul but with the van who knows.Have you tried Port Talbot Docks? Bit of a 1 species water(skimmers) but at least you catch and quite well in the depths of winter.There are some tench, rudd & roach in there as well & also pike that go up to near 30lb. Worth a look.
Hope to see you at the fishin's.

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

chris grant

Hazel Court - I know a fair bit about this venue - there are thousands of rudd there which are easy to catch and a lot 4 to 6oz fish.I have a cracking method for them - continous loose feed 6 to 10 maggots - you have to feed all the time - literally your hand is in the bait box you throw the feed, back in and feed again - you need to feeding once every 20 secs - its like bleaking fishing - but you have no need to fish further than 3 meters - fishing line to hand. - fish a small clear waggler or put all the weight around the float - the purpose of the float and the weight is to providing casting weight - set the float to 4 ft from the hook - a 20 or 18 single maggot - but before tying the hook thread a poly ball or a sight bobbin used by trout anglers - that is put to start off with about 12inches from the hook but as you notice fish boil on and just under the surface you can go as close as 6 inches - you will do 12 to 15 lb on this method in a few hours - ideally a three metre whip is what you need to fish this method most effectively - you can pick up old fibre glass ones for a fiver and they are ideal.

If you prefer the carp its feeder to the far bank or pole on the inside - fish heavy 6 lb line or open swims on those near the reed beds you can go to 8lb and you neede it to really bully the fish. Baits - pellets and corn and worm feed - get your pellets from the fishery itself - they are the same ones that he chucks in the place and what the fish are used to. Worm use 2 on a hook - thats a killer bait there - and get some of what the owner calls the medium and large pellet - you need to hair rig them.

If you have any probs with any of these methods let me know I will explain them - on the poly ball you will catch 4 fish to every 1 fishing normal waggler set up

chris grant

I forgot to mention paste - that is a killer method at Hazel Court but you need to buy a packet of the stuff they sell there and make it up on the bank or call of there and get your stuff and prepare it before hand so you have no need to mess about on the day. One thing I should have said also is you need to use double or treble pellet - thats why I mentioned hair rigging

anyexcuse

Hi Chris
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind when I go up there. not sure when that'll be at the moment. Would appreciate it if you do go up there in the future to drop me a line to tell me how it's fishing.

Tight Lines

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dave,

I am mobile again now and will soon be making a trip to Hazel Court.

I have caught well there on luncheon meat and sweet corn.

On the lake nearest the bungaolow I had a good day catching carp to 5lb, and tench to 3lb on the humble maggot, up in the water.

At the Welsh Fish In last year I had ghosties on luncheon meat and cat food. I think anything goes.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

anyexcuse

Hi Geoff

Give me a shout when you're going and I'll try to make it.

Dave

Dave@Brynmill&DistrictAC

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
See Where you fished today Part 8, page 3 for the report on White Springs 25 jan.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Status
Not open for further replies.