Expander pellets on a hair rig

Maverick

Site Supporter
Tried pushing a quick stop through soft expander pellets to use on a feeder but the line cuts through the pellets on retrieval.

Even when I reel in very slowly the pellet has gone. This could be normal but I can't help wondering if it's come off as the feeder hits the bottom and I'm sitting there with no bait on.

Do any of you fish them this way?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
If it helps i think there are two options.
Adding some corn steep liquor to the soaking water helps them stay firmer or you can go down the gelatine route.
Never done the latter, but the csl did work when i wanted to fish them on the bomb, used quickstops on the hair which seemed to help too.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I use expanders on the feeder (method and normal) and you need to persuade yourself you have a hookbait as retrieving often pulls them off. I use a quick stop thought the side (see Andy Finlay method video on YouTube) and use very cold water to make the bait slightly firmer. You need to watch your tip as small fish will snaffle the hookbait, any bite which doesn’t develop is often them and you need to reel in and start again.

map

What expanders are you using and how are you preparing them. Andy Finlay and Sonubaits done a fantastic video on using expanders on the method.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Sonubaits pro expanders. Glass of water in fridge overnight, when having breakfast add cold water to pellets (about 4:1) seal tub and 2 hours later perfect to use. I’ve sometimes added an ice cube to keep it cooler, not gone as far as Andy Finlay with a separate chilled flask for my expanders.