Exactly how good - or bad - is car security? (Read this if anyone has a BMW Mini)

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
I had 3 a one time plus a Uren Savage which was a 1600E with the 3.0 V6 engine fitted
A fishing mate in the late 70's had a Gold 1600E, his pride and joy. Woke up one morning and it was gone. Turned up a week late on a recently vacated traveller site in Doncaster. It was just the shell on bricks!

nejohn

Site Supporter
A fishing mate in the late 70's had a Gold 1600E, his pride and joy. Woke up one morning and it was gone. Turned up a week late on a recently vacated traveller site in Doncaster. It was just the shell on bricks!
Happened to a lot of them, chrome rostyle wheels were the 1st thing to go then the interior which for the time was fairly plush, especially the later post 68 cars with the bucket style seats and the clocks set into the wood dash. Then for the more adventurous the close ratio gearbox and diff were next on the list. One of mine got stolen and stripped down luckily it was probably the worst one I had, it was an early car that was not in great condition that I bought with the intention of running it over the winter and then using it as a doner car for spare parts

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
When I was a mechanic in the eighties I worked in a garage that maintained fleet Fords. We had a box of keys with about 20 Ford keys in. If anyone with a Ford locked their keys in their car we could almost always open it with a key from the box and it didn’t usually take long to find one. They were not at all secure in those days. Despite all the stories of security issues with new cars I would much rather have a system like the modern ones any day.
I agree. I’d got my materials from my wholesalers and was making my way back to my 52 plate transit. I pressed the fob and opened my van and a fellow electrical contractors van at the same time. I went back inside and told him about it. He came out and I showed him that my fob opened and locked his van. He got his own fob out of his pocket and would you believe, his fob opened and closed my van. Not good really. 🙄

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Happened to a lot of them, chrome rostyle wheels were the 1st thing to go then the interior which for the time was fairly plush, especially the later post 68 cars with the bucket style seats and the clocks set into the wood dash. Then for the more adventurous the close ratio gearbox and diff were next on the list. One of mine got stolen and stripped down luckily it was probably the worst one I had, it was an early car that was not in great condition that I bought with the intention of running it over the winter and then using it as a doner car for spare parts
Rostyle wheels.....
Made in Warrington by a firm called
Rubery Owen.
Hence the wheels name ROstyle