Evolution Power Tools ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Has anyone any experience of Evolution power tools, especially in a trade environment?

The tool I'm looking at is this:

....as an alternative to a Stihl saw

I've had the petrol ones before, owned and hired-in both Husqvarna and Stihl and know they do a good job, however the one down side has always been they're not ideal to use in confined spaces as the exhaust fumes linger for ages, plus you've also got the fuel, maintenance, theft, issues.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I've been using one of there mitre saws for about 10yrs still going strong, lent it out to family for odd jobs, can't fault it for diy seem well made.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've got an evolution circular saw and it seems good.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Has anyone any experience of Evolution power tools, especially in a trade environment?

The tool I'm looking at is this:

....as an alternative to a Stihl saw

I've had the petrol ones before, owned and hired-in both Husqvarna and Stihl and know they do a good job, however the one down side has always been they're not ideal to use in confined spaces as the exhaust fumes linger for ages, plus you've also got the fuel, maintenance, theft, issues.
I’ve got the older version to that one Dave, it must be 8/9 years old, brilliant bit of kit, I’ve been looking for another mesen, but they’ve been out of stock for ages, get it bought, I’m gonna order another one now, tonight 👍👍👍

CarpCatcher86

They are pretty good, especially the mitre saws as @davej also said.
Given the choice I would personally go for the Stihl saw and nothing else.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The only problem with petrol saws is if you are cutting internal walls the exhaust fumes gather in the building and linger for ages. The harder the brickwork, the more the rev's required, the more revs the more exhaust fumes.
This one also allows you to cut dry with an 'M' class extractor which I also have, so appears to be a bigger advantage as you cannot use a dust extractor with a petrol saw as far as I know, other than hold the pipe somewhere close, but then you've the same issue with the exhaust fumes.

I've ordered one direct from Evolution with 5% off and a free T shirt :D - the shirts only come in Medium and Large so gawd knows what I'll wear on the other side of me :D

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only when sending out invoices :ROFLMAO:

Serious question - have you cut break lines in many internal walls in properties? If you have then you would know the issues faced with doing so.

CarpCatcher86

Only when sending out invoices :ROFLMAO:

Serious question - have you cut break lines in many internal walls in properties? If you have then you would know the issues faced with doing so.
I have indeed, I have used Stihl saws a lot over the years. It always makes me cringe when seeing people cutting without a mask and ear defenders.
You try to offer advice to such individuals regarding wearing correct PPE, which they have also been told while attending various health and safety courses.
Some people then reach for their mask and ear defenders, others insist they have never worn PPE and never will.
Of course it's never nice breathing in petrol fumes, but count yourself lucky such tools don't run on diesel. Particulate matter in diesel fumes will kill you faster than the silica dust you may also be breathing in.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Pfff get a petrol one, exhaust fumes don't concern tough northerners ;)

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
The only problem with petrol saws is if you are cutting internal walls the exhaust fumes gather in the building and linger for ages. The harder the brickwork, the more the rev's required, the more revs the more exhaust fumes.
This one also allows you to cut dry with an 'M' class extractor which I also have, so appears to be a bigger advantage as you cannot use a dust extractor with a petrol saw as far as I know, other than hold the pipe somewhere close, but then you've the same issue with the exhaust fumes.

I've ordered one direct from Evolution with 5% off and a free T shirt :D - the shirts only come in Medium and Large so gawd knows what I'll wear on the other side of me :D
I heard last night on the news that there was a huge swarm of moths appear from nowhere in Yorkshire. It wasn’t you opening your wallet Dave was it.