Evolution Hook Tying Station

Sebbie

Site Supporter
As my eyesight and dextrosity is not what it was I have been finding it increasingly difficult to tie my hooks by the waterside and so resorted to buying hooks to nylon. However, there never seems to be the right combination of hooks, line, bands/stops etc. and so initially started tying my own at home with a Matchman Hook Tyer but found that the twisting of the line meant that the hook didn't always hang correctly, and I was stumped about how to add hairs/bands/stops (probably just my ineptitude!) .

After investigating widely I took the plunge and bought an Evolution Hook Tying Station.

Having watched the videos that Dennis Vause posted on YouTube I envisaged cranking out the hooklengths within 5 minutes of unboxing it, but this is not the case. Firstly you have to adjust the station properly so that the hook lengths calibrate to your rig box, and then getting the hang of the tying technique. The calibration is not difficult (and he has posted videos of how to do so) but it does take a few minutes to get this right. Fortunately it is a one off operation.

The technique takes a little longer to master as it seems to be principally about line tension. Probably another hour to get this right.

Once done, this thing is amazing!! I can tie perfect hooklengths that hang beautifully straight with no line kinking or damage from scratch in less than a minute. It takes less than two minutes to tie them with hairs/bands/stops.

I filled up my rig boxes in no time and now arrive at the water with an insane amount of choice and am never short of options. The ability to continually vary the hooklengths dependant upon changing conditions has improved my confidence no end.

The only slight downside that I can see is while you have vary the length of the hair/band/stop, the shortest length is about 10mm and so for those that like the pellet to sit just off the shaft of the hook may find this too long. However, in instances where I wish to fish like this I simply slide a tiny piece of clear silicon tubing down the hooklength and onto the back of the hook, effectively trapping the hair to as short a gap as I want. Using this method you can also tie a longer hair and then trap the hair so that it sits off the bottom of the hook so that this is in line with hooklength, which is a style that Jamie Hughes seems to be advocating.

Overall I am delighted with this purchase. Yes it's not cheap (c.£130 including postage) but it's worth it to be able to have the combination of the hook and line you want in the length you want with any combination of stops/hairs/bands you want.

Recommended unreservedly.

PeteC

Haha....to be quite honest I could have (and should have written this...). I too with age and illnesses (I have m.s), found it impossible to tye hooks....lack of feeling and poor manual dexterity meant I was stuck with hooks to nylon.

I've have always struggled with a matchman tyer, even when I hands that worked properly, so I bit the bullet too and purchased an evolution and really my comments are exactly the same...takes a while to set up, but once you get the basic 4" set then each rotation of the vls dial gives another 2". Another few practices and a few frustrations later and the hooklinks are just rolling off the production line at a great rate of knots (?)...and all of them are exactly the same and the same length.....it probably takes me as long now to put the loop on the link as it does to tye the hook...

I've shown it to a mate with one of the original gizmo machines that Dennis designed and he is very impressed and thinks, as I do that the machine is a terrific piece of engineering and a big improvement on the gizmo.....it's not cheap, but what price being able to tye my own hooks where I couldn't before..?

Oh, and I've had to buy a magnifying glass on a stand too as although I can now tye size 24 to .06, I can't bloody see what I'm doing...!

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Haha....to be quite honest I could have (and should have written this...). I too with age and illnesses (I have m.s), found it impossible to tye hooks....lack of feeling and poor manual dexterity meant I was stuck with hooks to nylon.

I've have always struggled with a matchman tyer, even when I hands that worked properly, so I bit the bullet too and purchased an evolution and really my comments are exactly the same...takes a while to set up, but once you get the basic 4" set then each rotation of the vls dial gives another 2". Another few practices and a few frustrations later and the hooklinks are just rolling off the production line at a great rate of knots (?)...and all of them are exactly the same and the same length.....it probably takes me as long now to put the loop on the link as it does to tye the hook...

I've shown it to a mate with one of the original gizmo machines that Dennis designed and he is very impressed and thinks, as I do that the machine is a terrific piece of engineering and a big improvement on the gizmo.....it's not cheap, but what price being able to tye my own hooks where I couldn't before..?

Oh, and I've had to buy a magnifying glass on a stand too as although I can now tie size 24 to .06, I can't bloody see what I'm doing...!
Fully agree, and it actually makes hook-tying enjoyable rather than a chore. Think I'll need a lot more practice before I'm able to tie 24s though!

pies

Site Supporter
I do like the hooktyer but i have teo little issues. Well not so little, for me the two pins are two big. The one on the loop end prevents me using the small loops i use, and these are not overly small as ive tied them using a small fig 8 loop tyer.
the second is the pin on the hair rig attachment its too big. You can not get a band closer than 8-10mm. Also the length of the bar on hair rig attachment is too long so if you set it to the short distances it snags on the line when tying
Small niggles maybe but bloody annoying. Im preferring my gizmo tyers at the moment ?

hopefully Dennis will have some pins like the old machines

Sebbie

Site Supporter
I do like the hooktyer but i have teo little issues. Well not so little, for me the two pins are two big. The one on the loop end prevents me using the small loops i use, and these are not overly small as ive tied them using a small fig 8 loop tyer.
the second is the pin on the hair rig attachment its too big. You can not get a band closer than 8-10mm. Also the length of the bar on hair rig attachment is too long so if you set it to the short distances it snags on the line when tying
Small niggles maybe but bloody annoying. Im preferring my gizmo tyers at the moment ?

hopefully Dennis will have some pins like the old machines
I do agree with you re the minimum size of the hair-rigs, but actually really like the silicon tube solution mentioned above, although that might just be me making a virtue of a necessity!

I don't know whether I have a different model to you, but the pin that I have on the loop end is 5mm diameter. If I tied my loops any smaller than this I would struggle to attach them at the waterside!

pies

Site Supporter
No your pin size is same as mine. I would need a bigger loop for banded hooks, but for standard hooks i use a smaller loop

pies

Site Supporter
Well I’ve emailed Dennis but as yet no reply.
For the foreseeable the new one will be set up for feeder hooklengths for silver fish. Im having issues when tying 0.20 line, it that it snags easily meaning i have to abourt the hooklength and restart.

A6B36AD7-8734-45D5-82E3-755E89DF5800.jpeg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dennis is a member so I'll tag him in on this thread as I'm sure he'll see any suggestions re improvements an advantage

@DennisLeeVause

I know of several anglers who have now bought the Ressurection Angling 'Evolution' hooktyer and have all been impressed

1592422381088.png

pies

Site Supporter
Dennis is a member so I'll tag him in on this thread as I'm sure he'll see any suggestions re improvements an advantage

@DennisLeeVause

I know of several anglers who have now bought the Ressurection Angling 'Evolution' hooktyer and have all been impressed

1592422381088.png
Dont get me wrong Dave im impressed with it. Just a niggle or two. Probably me TBH

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No problem there Pies, I'm sure that Dennis would be interested in any niggles

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I could have posted the original post myself. Mine arrived on Monday. I bought the version in the posh hard case for £159 including delivery. The price is the only thing against it but when you look at the quality of the engineering it’s good value. I spent a couple of hours making them the wrong length and the wrong tension but then really got the hang of it and it’s very simple and quick to use. I can’t speak too highly of it. It’s absolutely fantastic. I am unable to tie hooks without it and struggle enough to tie a blood knot never mind a hair. Problems no more. I am so happy with it and now have a full rig box. :)

burger

Site Supporter
Just out of interest Marky how long did your delivery take and which company delivered it. The reason for my question is mine was shipped early last week and was just wondering how long delivery take cheers.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Just out of interest Marky how long did your delivery take and which company delivered it. The reason for my question is mine was shipped early last week and was just wondering how long delivery take cheers.
If I may jump in, on placing my order approximately a month ago I was asked to allow 14 days for delivery and 7 days received the notification that it had been shipped, but it still took a further 6 days to arrive. So within the stated delivery time, but obviously not the quickest couriers!

burger

Site Supporter
Thanks for the reply Sebbie, Dennis himself said it had been shipped just have to sit and wait i suppose. Just out of interest did you have any sort of tracking on it.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
Yes it was sent by Parcel2Go.com and they sent me an email confirming that they’d received the parcel and gave me a tracking code.

burger

Site Supporter
Not got nothing at all of them or resurrection angling to say anything about tracking.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Phone Dennis up he will tell you whats happening to your order ,he will answer phone.

I did have a long wait for mine because the virus ,but Dennis kept us all up dated on what was happening,
im very pleased with mine

burger

Site Supporter
Cheers mucker rang him yesterday just gone straight to voice mail left him a message hopefully he gets back to me