1st Andy ritchings
10lb 6oz peg 15

2nd Daniel Abbot
8lb peg 2
3rd Tim Kaye
6lb 14oz peg 87

Arch

Site Supporter
Not a particularly good advert for river fishing that. A couple of sections being won with just a pound or so. The section the winner came from was really bad, I assume he had a Barbel.

Last edited:

Arch

Site Supporter
Not a particularly good advert for river fishing that. A couple of sections being won with just a pound or so. The section the winner came from was really bad, I assume he had a Barbel.

Lucky so and so.............

:sneaky::sneaky:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter

It seems consistently rubbish there for some reason yet a little way upstream in the club matches good weights are common place. Guess they just persist with it for the history of it as they could pick just about any other stretch and get better results.

rd350lc

Its really hard , year on year , it must be down to angling pressure as to why it's so poor .

Arch

Site Supporter
Has worm and joker been allowed today ?? I wonder if the weights will be better.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Its really hard , year on year , it must be down to angling pressure as to why it's so poor .

Possibly if it fishes better outside of matches? Just seems really weird, comes across as the hardest water in the country reads more like a match result from January not august!

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
80 pegs last 3 days , it’s heavily match fished and suffers from this .
No Bloodworm this year .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Probably the main factor but plenty other places see a lot of pressure and aren’t that hard though, must be some other mystery to it as well 🤔

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Whenever I fished Junior Club matches on the Warks Avon it was always rock solid like that, mind you we didn't fare much better on the Severn either so probably not a good measure.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Maybe we need to put a team in next year and show them how it's done :D

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
*** Drennan Barnsley Win Avon Team Championship ***

Annotation 2020-09-01 080834.jpg

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
There was definitely extra water in this year - Saturday's open up at Barford was cancelled as the river was too high.
That won't have helped - the extra water was cold as well.

It seems consistently rubbish there for some reason yet a little way upstream in the club matches good weights are common place. Guess they just persist with it for the history of it as they could pick just about any other stretch and get better results.
It's definitely one of the harder stretches of the Avon, in fact it fishes better in the winter. Some people love it though - and it usually rewards the most precise anglers.
Certainly - tradition and ease of access appears to win over quality of the fishing.

it's been hard since the early 90s when I moved to the area. I'm sure that the clarity of the water in the summer doesn't help - but agree that two to three matches a week also makes it harder.
In the end it's a river not a carp lake - so I suspect most of the competitors would be satisifed if it took double figures to a stone to win and sections were more like 4-5 pounds to win.