Every one's a netter! Roach fishing with dad

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I went to Hurst Farm in Bridgnorth with my dad today. I've described the venue before, basically it's bottomless deep and old 'natural' style pools. There are Crucians and Goldfish in there along with Carp but it's also full of Roach and Perch. The weather was glorious today, could have been a summer day with only a gentle and welcome breeze.

We got to the lakes at 10.30am and was hoping we'd still get a couple of pegs next to each other. On pulling into the car park, there were already several cars there so it was lucky that we did get a couple of pegs. Several Eastern Europeans were fishing and one guy on a pole in the corner my dad wanted to fish. Not to worry, we walked up the right side of the pool, having never fished those pegs before, and found a couple opposite a few pegs we've fished before.

2022-03-20 15.22.19.jpg

2022-03-20 15.22.33.jpg

I was fishing for 11am. My dad took a little longer to set up, and my the time he started fishing I'd already had 8 fish, mostly Roach but a couple of Perch. These were caught down the edge on maggot. I've mentioned before with it being so deep, the margins are the best place to fish. Of course you could fish in the deeper water, as the EEs were doing, but they didn't catch anything that I saw, while we had good silverfish sport down the edge with just as much chance of Crucians and Carp.

One of my first fish was a nice Roach. This came to maggot which was the best bait on the day. I'd took expanders and was feeding a few pellet but didn't have a bit on those whereas maggot fished well.

2022-03-20 10.58.27.jpg

The Roach sport was steady throughout the day and both me and my dad were joking they've grown since last year, every one a netter. I remember calculating my weight here before on the basis that they averaged 6oz, but it wouldn't have been an exaggeration to say that 8oz was the average today, they were that good stamp.

2022-03-20 11.03.59.jpg
2022-03-20 11.12.23.jpg

2022-03-20 11.18.28.jpg
2022-03-20 12.00.44.jpg
2022-03-20 12.32.31.jpg

2022-03-20 13.09.24.jpg

I even had a Golden Rudd for good measure. There was the odd Perch but it was mostly Roach and even the Perch were good stamp over half a pound going up to a pound.

2022-03-20 13.50.48.jpg

It got to 3.10pm and I asked my dad how long he wanted to give it. He initially said till half past but then realised he was on 49 fish so said one more and we'll call it a day. We eventually did at 3.20pm, meaning we'd been fishing for just under 4 and half hours.

So that was a total of 50 fish for my dad of a similar stamp to me, and 64 in total for me.

2022-03-20 15.21.56.jpg

Like I said above, I could have easily said they averaged 8oz a piece, but going for a more conservative 6oz average I reckon I had 25lb quite comfortably.

It is the best stillwater Roach fishing in Bridgnorth, that I know of anyway, and a lovely day with my dad, well pleased he also caught a few. We both said it's a shame no Crucians showed but maybe it was a bit early for them. We also expected to see a few Carp at least cruising but didn't see any!

All in all a good day.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well done Steve. Some lovely looking fish there. Well fished pal 👍

Can’t be your fishing tackle that ….. the seat box looks level for once. 🤣👍

Total

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo ......A nice day's sport for you and Dad Steve, well angled the pair of you....(y)

Do you remember where you bought those tall bait boxes you've got on your side tray Steve please?:unsure:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers all! Seat box was level and even raised up a bit as it should be which was definitely more comfortable. My dad fished from his Match Box Chair, can see him in the background in second pic.

Re baitboxes... the tall ones are Preston 3 pint tubs (a bit narrower too so don't fit baitwaiters), the other is an ancient 3 pinter with a green lid I've had since I was a kid, and the other one is a circa 2 pint Guru one. Bit of a mish mash :LOL: but the tall ones are Preston with a grey lid, 3 pints.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done Steve, nice session and good to see that you've sorted that seatbox out. :upthumb:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo .....What depth on the slope did you find was the best for you both today Steve? Thank you....(y)
I had 3.5' right down the edge with a flat shelf extending about 1' out to fish on before it dropped off, so ideal really. My dad had the same but 3'.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I went to Hurst Farm in Bridgnorth with my dad today. I've described the venue before, basically it's bottomless deep and old 'natural' style pools. There are Crucians and Goldfish in there along with Carp but it's also full of Roach and Perch. The weather was glorious today, could have been a summer day with only a gentle and welcome breeze.

We got to the lakes at 10.30am and was hoping we'd still get a couple of pegs next to each other. On pulling into the car park, there were already several cars there so it was lucky that we did get a couple of pegs. Several Eastern Europeans were fishing and one guy on a pole in the corner my dad wanted to fish. Not to worry, we walked up the right side of the pool, having never fished those pegs before, and found a couple opposite a few pegs we've fished before.

2022-03-20 15.22.19.jpg

2022-03-20 15.22.33.jpg

I was fishing for 11am. My dad took a little longer to set up, and my the time he started fishing I'd already had 8 fish, mostly Roach but a couple of Perch. These were caught down the edge on maggot. I've mentioned before with it being so deep, the margins are the best place to fish. Of course you could fish in the deeper water, as the EEs were doing, but they didn't catch anything that I saw, while we had good silverfish sport down the edge with just as much chance of Crucians and Carp.

One of my first fish was a nice Roach. This came to maggot which was the best bait on the day. I'd took expanders and was feeding a few pellet but didn't have a bit on those whereas maggot fished well.

2022-03-20 10.58.27.jpg

The Roach sport was steady throughout the day and both me and my dad were joking they've grown since last year, every one a netter. I remember calculating my weight here before on the basis that they averaged 6oz, but it wouldn't have been an exaggeration to say that 8oz was the average today, they were that good stamp.

2022-03-20 11.03.59.jpg
2022-03-20 11.12.23.jpg

2022-03-20 11.18.28.jpg
2022-03-20 12.00.44.jpg
2022-03-20 12.32.31.jpg

2022-03-20 13.09.24.jpg

I even had a Golden Rudd for good measure. There was the odd Perch but it was mostly Roach and even the Perch were good stamp over half a pound going up to a pound.

2022-03-20 13.50.48.jpg

It got to 3.10pm and I asked my dad how long he wanted to give it. He initially said till half past but then realised he was on 49 fish so said one more and we'll call it a day. We eventually did at 3.20pm, meaning we'd been fishing for just under 4 and half hours.

So that was a total of 50 fish for my dad of a similar stamp to me, and 64 in total for me.

2022-03-20 15.21.56.jpg

Like I said above, I could have easily said they averaged 8oz a piece, but going for a more conservative 6oz average I reckon I had 25lb quite comfortably.

It is the best stillwater Roach fishing in Bridgnorth, that I know of anyway, and a lovely day with my dad, well pleased he also caught a few. We both said it's a shame no Crucians showed but maybe it was a bit early for them. We also expected to see a few Carp at least cruising but didn't see any!

All in all a good day.
Another superb day and report , what a cracking session 👏