Ever felt REALLY stupid long after the event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piroflip

When I was in my late teens I went with my brother-in-law to fish a stretch of the Shropshire union canal. We settled into our spot on a deserted length and proceeded to attempt to catch the legendary bream.
We had walked the length the evening before and spotted "feeding bubbles" in our area, so we thought that we couldn't lose.

What I will never forget if I live to be a hundred was when a young woman came walking past and gave us both the strangest look imaginable as she strolled by. A look of disbelief, astonishment, and amazement that we should be fishing there. We didn't know why at the time.

It turns out that the stretch had been long since polluted and that there was absolutely nothing in it. At the risk of repeating myself, I can still see that look to this day.
It said what on earth are you two idiots doing fishing this canal?
She never said a word and of course we didnt realize our embarrassing predicament until much later.

mrhaze

any venue i blank on is quite clearly polluted and devoid of fish...you'd be amazed at how many there are!

:D

phil-k

Yes, about some of the posts I've made on here in the past actually.

haha[:D][;)]

Andy Macfarlane

On the other hand, you'd be amazed how many polluted and supposedly devoid waters provide excellent fishing for those willing to dare.
I don't know how many times I've had the very same look of disbelief, shaken heads or the ageless line, "I don't think there's any fish in there" only to reel in a 2lb Perch.
I never listen to anyone that says a water is dead. Nine times out of ten, the place is absolutely teaming with life because everyone shares their opinion.
I'm quite happy to let them carry on believing they're right. It's more fishing for me.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Unless there is actually no life, in which case you fishing it conatsntly, willing there to be fish in there, is pretty pointless :p

Status
Not open for further replies.