Ever been tempted to cheat?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I once fished a match at Langley Mill and, according to the bankvine, was doing quite well. As the all out whistle sounded I hooked a roach of about 4oz, it was definitely after the whistle albeit only a second or so. I landed the fish and without thinking dropped it into my keepnet. I was absolutely riddled with guilt while I was waiting for the scales and I decided that if I was in the money by less than 8oz I would come clean and forfeit. Fortunately the scales put me in first place by about 3lbs so I kept stum. If there is anyone on the forum that was a member of Cotmanhay Angling Club in the late 70's and early 80's please accept my confession.

Has anyone else ever been tempted?

Paul22

Never been tempted to cheat at anything ( apart from women )?
But the example you use is a pretty common cheat amongst anglers if it is a cheat....
I once caught a fish after the whistle blew and threw it back (still came last???)

alsur

Site Supporter
A couple of weeks ago I fished a match there was a mixup with pegs so start was delayed but nobody told me. At the original start time I heard a whistle it was from another match on a nearby lake, I cast the method out tip went straight round I was connected to a Carp as I played it I noticed nobody had started I landing carp checked what was happening, finding out match was delayed so I put it back. Turned out to be a very slow day and only caught six Carp.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I don't know if this is classed as cheating but I once drew a peg that I had night fished the night before. I packed up at 5am and the draw was at 7am. I told them when I drew the number and asked for a redraw. I was told to fish that peg and won the match with 97lb, second place weighed in at something like 31lb. Some of the anglers kicked up a stink saying I should forfeit the match win, but being as I told them what I'd done at the draw, the win stood. The thing is, I knew what bait I'd put in..and where.

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Never but some can't even lie straight in bed, even had blokes putting fake money in the pools

lp1886

Site Supporter
I once fished a match at Langley Mill and, according to the bankvine, was doing quite well. As the all out whistle sounded I hooked a roach of about 4oz, it was definitely after the whistle albeit only a second or so. I landed the fish and without thinking dropped it into my keepnet. I was absolutely riddled with guilt while I was waiting for the scales and I decided that if I was in the money by less than 8oz I would come clean and forfeit. Fortunately the scales put me in first place by about 3lbs so I kept stum. If there is anyone on the forum that was a member of Cotmanhay Angling Club in the late 70's and early 80's please accept my confession.

Has anyone else ever been tempted?
On my club matches everyone seems to strike at the all-out whistle. Occasionally it results in a foul hooked which gets landed and put in the net. Technically this has occurred after the whistle but nothing ever gets said. There is also an old boy that claims to never hear it and carries on fishing for at least another 5-10 seconds until someone shouts his name.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I remember we used to have Knock ups on a section of the River Aire 6-7 of us 5ver a man winner teks all, on these Knock ups i remember a lad a right arsehole wining a couple and Bragging about it to all and sundry it was like taking Candy from a baby, anyway he was in front on a match and Crowing when i saw a mate Land a little bream put it in his maggot bag round his neck and tek it 3 pegs down to another lad who was in second place and bang it in his Keepnet out of 7 of us 6 Knew and agreed it a Rightful outcome ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Imagine the uproar if 'website owner caught cheating...' hit the headlines.

And for that reason I'm out :D

johng19

me@home.com
Not sure if it was a cheat or not, I had largish carp, I had hooked another rig and that had the carp on it, I didn't say anything. Still don't know if it is a cheat.

Macca81

Not sure if it was a cheat or not, I had largish carp, I had hooked another rig and that had the carp on it, I didn't say anything. Still don't know if it is a cheat.
I think that’s fine as long as you didn’t intentionally try and hook said rig,

Macca81

I reckon the most wide spread form of cheating is around the fishery only pellets rule, probably me being nieve until a fairly well known angler mentioned just how many people use whatever they feel like and buy a token bag of fishery pellets to mix in. Since it was mentioned it’s just something I sub consciously look for and it’s unbelievable the amount of people that do it, and I fish loads of venues so it’s not just one place either. Some will say they don’t agree with having to buy fishery pellets but you are using a bait that is not allowed and that = cheating

adriang

Site Supporter
Not me, but I was told about a club match where several saw a dead pike float down the river. One angler weighed it in, swearing he caught it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Never in a match, but 4 times now I've had Roach that weighed 1lb 15ozs, it's been tempting to add a solitary ounce but i'd only be cheating myself.:cry:

Dusty

On my club matches everyone seems to strike at the all-out whistle. Occasionally it results in a foul hooked which gets landed and put in the net. Technically this has occurred after the whistle but nothing ever gets said. There is also an old boy that claims to never hear it and carries on fishing for at least another 5-10 seconds until someone shouts his name.

Got w chap in our club who I’ve spotted fishing after the whistle a few times, usually leaves it in a good minute or so longer than everyone else.

lp1886

Site Supporter
Some guys float was also seen bobbing up and down for ages. Turns out he had hooked a roach but left it swimming around the swim hoping for a Pike to take it. The next club meeting resulted in a ban on pike being weighed in. It also stopped people ‘playing’ 2oz fish for ages.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
No not on purpose.
In a match recently was fishing long pole shipped back after whistle and took a section off and fish grabbed bait.
I shouted to the bloke on the next peg so he could watch me put it back.
I once refused to weigh and gave away a section as I thought the match finished at 4.30 but it finished at 4.00 and I fished on.