Evening session on the club pond

Dogbert

Site Supporter
Had a lovely session on the pond again. 6 tench all in the 1 - 3lb range. Sweetcorn on a size 14 hook fished over liquidised bread groundbait with sweetcorn mixed in.

Lots of dragonflies about and electric blue damselflies. Watched a crow working its way through some bullrushes to grab a dead perch in the margin and fly off with it. It ate the perch on the bank, leaving a scattering of scales, the backbone and the swim bladder.
I have often seen scatterings of scales and fish bones and thought it might be mink, but now I think this crow is responsible.
20220519_173851.jpg

20220519_175942.jpg

20220519_183131.jpg

20220519_185016.jpg

20220519_202036.jpg

tincatim

Site Supporter
Those are lovely looking tench, a nice darker shade of green. Tench are the best looking fish aren’t they, well done mate.

Dogbert

Site Supporter
Those are lovely looking tench, a nice darker shade of green. Tench are the best looking fish aren’t they, well done mate.
The tench in this pond are nearly all a dark green. The pond is full of water violets and lilies, with yellow flag iris around the edge.
There are plenty of tench in there up to about 5lb. I usually start off with red maggot on an 18, catching perch & rudd, whilst I put in groundbait laced with sweetcorn. Then when the tench start bubbling, switch to a size 14 with sweetcorn on the hook. Usually I go for a 3 to 4 hour session in the evening.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
1st fish I ever caught was a Tench. Knotford Nook in Otley had a very good head of them in the lilly bay when I was a boy. Now it's a carp lake, all fenced off and there is nowhere I know nearby that has them. Those twilight hours, with the mist rising from the water, a waggler set perfectly on the edge of a lilly pad... Pure magic.

Lovely pics and well done... very jealous!