Evening session help?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Last night I had only liners and lost four carp. Not the best of evening swims, but still did something wrong. Has anyone got any don'ts for attracting liners please guys?

And another question is, I use a pole for most of my margin fishing, but has anyone tried a pole float on a waggler? I'm thinking a paste float with a big bait withe the bait shotting the float?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
what depth were you fishing in ??sometimes you need to go into shallower water to stop liners, other times the fish won’t settle in shallow water, and you need to fish in a bit deeper water 👍This time of year I tend to start in 3ft, if I’m just getting liners, and iffy bites, I move into shallower water.. then you should cut down on liners ....I wouldn’t start in the shallow water though , incase they want to be deeper, if that makes sense

Last edited:

Deejay8

Site Supporter
How you are feeding can make a difference too. At first it's often a good idea to loose feed with a catapult to give a spread of bait that will draw the fish in to the swim. But once the fish are in the peg, you don't want them roaming about the swim brushing against the line as they chase down the loose offerings. You want them to settle over the feed. So after baiting a swim with the catapult to get it started, once you go in with your hookbait, it's better to concentrate the feed with a pot, and keep the loosefeed going in like that.

Rick123

Site Supporter
what depth were you fishing in ??sometimes you need to go into shallower water to stop liners, other times the fish won’t settle in shallow water, and you need to fish in a bit deeper water 👍This time of year I tend to start in 3ft, if I’m just getting liners, and iffy bites, I move into shallower water.. then you should cut down on liners ....I wouldn’t start in the shallow water though , incase they want to be deeper, if that makes sense
It does mate thanks, I get that exactly. Richard.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Pole float in the margins on rod and reel for proper lumps is a legitimate tactic. In one match my neighbour had two 20Lb+ fish this way.

If you are on the feeder then cast shorter and also leave a slack line so it lays on the deck.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
How you are feeding can make a difference too. At first it's often a good idea to loose feed with a catapult to give a spread of bait that will draw the fish in to the swim. But once the fish are in the peg, you don't want them roaming about the swim brushing against the line as they chase down the loose offerings. You want them to settle over the feed. So after baiting a swim with the catapult to get it started, once you go in with your hookbait, it's better to concentrate the feed with a pot, and keep the loosefeed going in like that.

That’s an interesting idea; not thought of that but seems like it makes sense. Might give that a crack next time I fish 😊

Keith Sparky

If you have a deep margin then feed a couple of feet further out from the bank from where you are fishing then don't fish directly over your feed. Usually results in positive bites and less liners, also if its carp then use 2mm plus pole float tips that don't get dragged under by every movement or you will be striking at liners and foul hook more fish

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
When using a pole float on a long rod it's best to use one heavy enough to actually pull the line through the rings. I have found a 1g to 1.5g float is best.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Martin Bowler uses a pole float on a rod and line when he fishes for crucians. He doesn't fish far out, so can get away with a light float.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I have an old 5m float rod, pair that up with a pole float, large hook with a big bait and the margin fishing can be amazing. With so many fisheries these days offering the potential of high doubles and twenties, it can be a lot safer than a margin pole approach.