European super league

Robwooly

I'm not sure the FA would have any grounds for kicking teams out of the league. Only if it is in a contract could they do it. Plus the ESL would be in place of the Champions League and have no impact on the domestic game. So a lawyer's field day would ensue if the FA take action.

Not saying I support it but looking at the situation without emotion. I'm sure the clubs involved will have taken legal advice.

Didn't rugby union do something similar recently?
It wont be the FA taking action rather UEFA as their prize asset would be replaced, like you say it would be a legal minefield and already there's sounds about UEFA and FIFA banning European super league players from international football. You would imagine this would be not legally enforceable but in the Rugby the English RFU managed to deny international selection to any English Player who played in France to protect the English league so maybe they could.

The worst thing it is likely there would be no relegation in a US franchise style league, sounds like the other three invited could be Porto, Bayern and PSG,

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Apparently Chelsea & City were the last to sign up & were a bit reticent. Makes sense because Abramovich & The Emiratis don't need the money, they're in the game for the glory of winning. The Yank owners of Arsenal, Liverpool & Man U are just there for the dosh.
Arsenal - they're 9th in the league for pete's sake!

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
@nejohn im not sure if you saw the football coverage on Sky Sports yesterday but the plans for a super league were unanimously shunned by all pundits who were on air. They don’t want to see it any more than you or I do.
They’ll soon change would money is on the table.
as for fans, the big six have season tickets waiting list as long as your arm.
If Mr A refuses to renew then Mr B will just take his seat.
mat the end of the day it’s the fans who’ll pay for all this either via tickets or tv rights. To stop it going ahead the they’ll have to Chuck money at the big clubs which again will put the cost up for fans.

nejohn

Site Supporter
One way round it could be for the premier league to put in place a rule change that states that member clubs can only play in competitions that are sanctioned by the premier league. Then if a club does play in a super league that is not sanctioned the EPL report them to the English FA (who have absolutely nothing to do with the EPL apart from sanctioning it as a league) for breach of contract, the FA could then technically withdraw the registration of the club which would exclude the club and its registered players from playing in any competition or game sanctioned by the FA which in turn would carry over to both UEFA and FIFA .....but do they have the balls to do it

Ivan heaphurst

It is not often that I find myself agreeing with Gary Nevill but there is always a first time for everything.
Though I am reminded of the time the big boys broke away to form the Premier League. Is this not the same thing but on a much bigger scale.

nejohn

Site Supporter
It is not often that I find myself agreeing with Gary Nevill but there is always a first time for everything.
Though I am reminded of the time the big boys broke away to form the Premier League. Is this not the same thing but on a much bigger scale.
Not really the same as the EPL as potentially any team playing in FA sanctioned leagues could progress to be playing in the EPL it is just the top level of the pyramid plus if you have a bad season you will lose your EPL status unlike the proposed super league which is essentially a members only club that you have to be invited to join

Robwooly

It's still more likely that it's just a bartering chip to get more money from UEFA,

However with all the press surrounding this it would be a good time for a club to sack a manager :sneaky:

lliopp

Site Supporter
One way round it could be for the premier league to put in place a rule change that states that member clubs can only play in competitions that are sanctioned by the premier league. Then if a club does play in a super league that is not sanctioned the EPL report them to the English FA (who have absolutely nothing to do with the EPL apart from sanctioning it as a league) for breach of contract, the FA could then technically withdraw the registration of the club which would exclude the club and its registered players from playing in any competition or game sanctioned by the FA which in turn would carry over to both UEFA and FIFA .....but do they have the balls to do it
According to some one on the radio there is already this rule.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
A lot of the big European sides are skint. Barca, Real and the Italians are all suffering and need a way of making the millions needed to keep functioning at the top. Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal have Yank owners who are only in it for the money.
So far PSG and the German clubs have said no.

H T B

Site Supporter
From a fans point of view, it would become even more expensive to follow your team, home and away like many do.
Even the PM has come out against it.

The whole thing just stinks.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
They just had a chat about it on radio2. Seems the fans like the idea. Well the ones that rang in did

nejohn

Site Supporter
According to some one on the radio there is already this rule.
When I used to sit on the local FA management committee there were many occassions when teams had broken a leagues rules and were reported to the FA, the FA would withdraw the registration of the offending club and all of its registered players until any dispute was settled during this period the club and players could not take part in any competitions

Simon R

Site Supporter
The original members of the Premier League were just the teams who happened to be in the top division at the time of it's inception - I don't think even the most loyal fan of Oldham Athletic would describe their team as one of the 'big boys' 😝

1618835853929.png

There's a few teams on that list that have barely returned to the top division since.
Five years after the Premier League started Man City ended up in League Two
Sadly such a thing could never happen today - the rich clubs just get richer - spend obscene amounts on players and charge fans equally obscene amounts to go and support their teams. As for Sky Sports / BT/ Amazon etc they must have LOVED this pandemic - every top flight game has had it's kick-off time altered purely to suit television schedules and boost the number of subscribers.

Can't understand how Spurs can be considered one of the top six - they haven't won the league for 60 years, or the FA Cup for 30 years and their last European success was a penalties win against Anderlecht in the 1983 Uefa Cup Final. Top six obviously has nothing to do with football ability or trophies won but purely the amount of money a club has.

Simon

smiffy

Site Supporter
The original members of the Premier League were just the teams who happened to be in the top division at the time of it's inception - I don't think even the most loyal fan of Oldham Athletic would describe their team as one of the 'big boys' 😝

1618835853929.png

There's a few teams on that list that have barely returned to the top division since.
Five years after the Premier League started Man City ended up in League Two
Sadly such a thing could never happen today - the rich clubs just get richer - spend obscene amounts on players and charge fans equally obscene amounts to go and support their teams. As for Sky Sports / BT/ Amazon etc they must have LOVED this pandemic - every top flight game has had it's kick-off time altered purely to suit television schedules and boost the number of subscribers.

Can't understand how Spurs can be considered one of the top six - they haven't won the league for 60 years, or the FA Cup for 30 years and their last European success was a penalties win against Anderlecht in the 1983 Uefa Cup Final. Top six obviously has nothing to do with football ability or trophies won but purely the amount of money a club has.

Simon
I’m not going to argue why Spurs are there. I’m a Spurs fan and you’re right. They just happen to be the ninth richest club, globally. Just demonstrates the thinking behind this league.

Aha. You already said that. Note to self. Always read a post to the end😂
Carry on.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I was listening to Talksport earlier while I was getting my gear ready for tomorrow's fishing session and I may have misheard the following comment. It was suggested that the "Big 6" could be allowed to remain in the Prem and play their new ESL malarkey mid week. Bearing in mind that Prem clubs often play twice a week how will the Big 6 cope with the fixtures? Or will they have an even bigger squad or perhaps a separate teams for the ESL and the Prem?

I really didn't like the formation of the Prem in 1992 to promote the interests of Murdoch, Sugar et Al. The advent of Satellite pay per view TV and the introduction of allseater stadiums took the soul and passion out of footy for me. After watching live matches for twenty five years my last game at Goodison was in 1993.

spc123

Many of the ex players coming out against it have benefited greatly from the premier league split so a little bit of hypocrisy there

having lived through the rugby league super league wars in the early 90s some observations

- players will go where the money is
- banning them from playing for their country won’t make any difference. For a lot of them most games are an inconvenience. Sl will have all the stars so can form an alternative sl National team and have its own word cup
- fans will still turn up at the big sl games. The loss of fans will occur as the clubs not invited as no incentives Any more
- money talks and most of the current owners just want to maximise the return on investment. Many fans have loved having wealthy owners in the game but now comes the payback. He who pays the piper calls the tune
- the tv contracts will be for the super league as it its top level. The tv rights for efl and premier league will ultimately fall making the position worse

to stand a chance of preventing this the excluded clubs may need to vote to kick out the big6. That won’t happen and bet there won’t be many players putting a trAnsfer request in