European super league

templegater

Site Supporter
So the fat cats buy the top football clubs.
Create their own league where there is no relagation -a closed shop.
Reap all the money in with no regard for fans, history, smaller clubs and grass roots.
Hope the enterprise falls flat on its ar5e.
Football becoming a toy for the rich and far away from a working mans release on a Saturday.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
This was always going to come about from the moment Yanks started getting involved with our clubs.
This has been pushed through by Liverpool, Arsenal and Utd because their American owners want more cash, as much as possible, and global dominance. It's the sort of model that sports in the states have followed for years and it guarantees massive revenue. Their sporting mindset is “if we’re not making enough money in this state as the Gettysburg Gunslingers, we‘ll just move off to Seattle and become the Seattle Gunslingers”.
Other clubs are frightened of being left behind so it’s an easy sell to say City and Chelsea and the same goes for Madrid or Barca or Juve who are all jealous of the money the premier league makes for it clubs and don’t want to miss out.
The inclusion of Spurs in mindboggling to me. On what basis do a club that have won the league twice in 140 years and are currently seventh warrant a place in this.

Gary Neville nails it..

Still laughing at the bit where he says "Not bothered about Spurs"

62tucker

Site Supporter
But after a few games will the gloss not fade. Can’t see me watching that all the time.

H T B

Site Supporter
Remember Kerry Packer?
The whole thing totally stinks.
Nice to see that there is condemnation from anyone asked about it.
I see the top German teams have said no to it.

Krh57

Site Supporter
Bet you ‘the’ players would take FIFA to court saying it was a ‘right’ that they are able to represent their country, or something like that !

Simon R

Site Supporter
Simple answer is to kick 'em out of the Premier League - I wonder how the loss of that particular revenue stream would affect them?
And it would make English football worth watching again - some of the smaller clubs might prosper - maybe Everton, Aston Villa or West Ham could be league champions.

Simon

nejohn

Site Supporter
Part of the attraction of football is that one day a club like say Hartlepool could win the premier League as there is a structure to allow the smaller clubs with the right investment to climb the ladder and also the larger clubs to fall on their arse if they make mistakes. Once you take that away then you will lose the whole concept of improvement and growth at the minute the top clubs drag the others along with them as the dream of reaching the top also is there. In a league with no relegation or promotion you lose that completely. It will ruin the game for the vast majority of fans, despite what sky sports pundits think we don't want to watch Manchester utd play Real Madrid every other week, now and again is fine, that is one reason I stopped watching the Champions league, same teams every year playing the same set of fixtures. A breakaway league might be successful for a while but it will kill the game at every other level and eventually due to players getting less and less competitive football outside the super League the player pool will become smaller and smaller. Just look at the car crash that is Welsh rugby, attendances are awful apart from international games and club rugby is on its backside because they formed the region's and hoped people would leave the club they always supported and support their region instead. I have been to a few Cardiff blues games and you would be lucky if you had more than 5000 in the stadium compare that to the much more competitive English league

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
If it’s owned by the yanks will the winners be “world champions”

Trent_Fisher

@nejohn im not sure if you saw the football coverage on Sky Sports yesterday but the plans for a super league were unanimously shunned by all pundits who were on air. They don’t want to see it any more than you or I do.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
So the fat cats buy the top football clubs.
Create their own league where there is no relagation -a closed shop.
Reap all the money in with no regard for fans, history, smaller clubs and grass roots.
Hope the enterprise falls flat on its ar5e.
Football becoming a toy for the rich and far away from a working mans release on a Saturday.
Greed ,pure greed , we have the champions league, the euro league , why ,crazy ,football is just about money money money .

Robwooly

Traditionally the super league rumours used to grow each time a big club(often from Italy) found itself struggling to qualify for Europe via the league, I wonder how keen two of our 'big six' are at them moment given they are struggling to make the top six on merit, very keen I would imagine, I also wonder what fans of the 'big six' actually think? Surely anyone over 12 years old will hate the idea.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I'm not sure the FA would have any grounds for kicking teams out of the league. Only if it is in a contract could they do it. Plus the ESL would be in place of the Champions League and have no impact on the domestic game. So a lawyer's field day would ensue if the FA take action.

Not saying I support it but looking at the situation without emotion. I'm sure the clubs involved will have taken legal advice.

Didn't rugby union do something similar recently?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Imagine your team getting beat every game as that’s what will happen with a super league. Sure the supporters not like that.