Europe once had the best value reel on the planet(maybe), discontinued(probably unsustainable)

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Daiwa has a predator line by the name of Prorex, maybe elsewhere too - but definitely in Europe and the UK.

It continues, and produces an awesome line of products...

But, there's a reel which was extraordinarily good in terms of its Daiwa tech and components, they have now replaced it with the current cheaper "LT" adaptations for their Prorex reels, which are now based on the Fuegos, such as the Prorex V LT.

This reel was the original Prorex XR 2500RA/3020PEA (and it's non-mag sealed cheaper variant the Prorex 2000a/2500a)

The XR RA was essentially a souped-up Daiwa BG Magsealed, with 2 additional CRBB Bearings (8), an Air Bail, and Twist Buster 2.

The feature sheet -

Air Bail®

Twist Buster® II Line roller

MAGSEALED® body construction

HARDBODYZ® aluminium reel body

AIR ROTOR®

AIR BAIL®

8 CRBB® ball bearings

ATD® drag system

DIGIGEAR® II

Infinite Anti-Reverse®

Carbon fibre drag discs

Cross Wrap® system

Twist Buster® II line roller

ABS® II aluminium spool

Aluminium spare spool

Aluminium handle

EVA handle knob

I believe it had the same / similar specs in terms of weight and retrieve speed and drag, XR RA being maybe 10grams heavier than the BG Magsealed, the difference of those few "extras".

... and of course, a cool purple and black Prorex branded lick of paint.

When you compare this reel - it absolutely smoked anything close to its price range, if you could tolerate an additional 65grams then it puts the Stradic FL to shame.

Like I said, it's a discontinued model, I can't even find any trace of the reel on an official Daiwa owned/endorsed website anymore, but the remaining few of these reels can be picked up for £140 'ish, I suspect those few extras ontop of the already brilliant BG Magsealed are what resulted in the production fate of this reel, the extra manufacturing costs add up in the grand scheme of things and I guess it just did not make sense to continue production where they already had the BG Magsealed for that slot in the market... making this quite a special real.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
When I used to peruse reel repair sites, particularly American ones, magseal had just been introduced and was getting a lot flack because when some reels were disassembled for inspection, the fluid had either dried up or ran out, is this still the case? Most at that time said it was overrated and didn't do its job properly plus the fluid couldn't be purchased from Daiwa.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
When I used to peruse reel repair sites, particularly American ones, magseal had just been introduced and was getting a lot flack because when some reels were disassembled for inspection, the fluid had either dried up or ran out, is this still the case? Most at that time said it was overrated and didn't do its job properly plus the fluid couldn't be purchased from Daiwa.

As far as I've read - the tech has been perfected, there's some good consumer testing experiments out there too, the issue is definitely the servicing.
The expectation is that Daiwa service centres are used, there are people out there servicing the own magseals with third party magoil, however I certainly wouldn't want to be doing that on something like an Exist LT.