Euro 2020 Game - just a bit of fun

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Lots of key teams eliminated today

With only one team left in I suspect @Dogbert may not be in the lead too much longer

And with England playing Germany on Tuesday either @jpwebster or @Northantslad will have all four picks eliminated shortly.

Now we just need is France to lose tomorrow...

1624827339858.png

Results went right against me yesterday, could have been 5th! Mind you, all in all i hope tomorrows goes against me too.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Not looking good 3-5 down. And I had a bet on Croatia to win !
Indeed, could have easily been 5-3 at the start of extra time, but sometimes that how the cookie crumbles.

Now we wait to see if France can turn around the 0-1 scoreline.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Two thoroughly entertaining matches today, 14 goals and now a penalty shootout to come. :upthumb:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
So the latest table after yesterday's amazing games.

@Dogbert still leading, but it really comes down now to how the Czech Republic and Denmark perform in the next round... or may be Italy will have a big impact.

1624946283637.png

With France going out there are a lot of selections with only one team remaining and with England or Germany leaving today we're guaranteed that someone will be completely out today.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Takes the goal count up to 118 after yesterday's games. Didn't half shoot up.
It's been a high scoring competition, the last Euros averaged bout 2.1 goals per game, we're current at over 2.8, which makes a big difference to the scores. Normally you expect the knockout games to be quite close and low scoring, but 14 goals in two games somewhat ruins that pattern.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
So here are the results after the round of 16:

1625035940252.png
Lots of countries have now been eliminated and four players @Northantslad @62tucker @MunchMyStump @Peter have had all their teams knocked out, so will not score any more points. Embarrassingly, the latter three of these have been beaten by Rando Calrissian - a selection based on random numbers picked by my wife.

Given the large number of folks that went with France and Portugal (now both gone) the table is not as dynamic as I'd hoped going into the last 8 and there are many players now who cannot win because they cannot overtake teams above them - for example @nejohn cannot overtake @sqiump since they have the same teams left in and @squimp has three more points already.

Anyhow, here's looking forward to the quarterfinals, with Czech vs Denmark and Belgium vs Italy looking to be key matches.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Bad news for @Dogbert - having looked at the table closely, I'm afraid to say that despite being in first place now you cant win.

*** correction ***

@Dogbert can still win, but it would require there to be very few more goals scored.

Dogbert

Bad news for @Dogbert - having looked at the table closely, I'm afraid to say that despite being in first place now you cant win.

*** correction ***

@Dogbert can still win, but it would require there to be very few more goals scored.
It is mathematically possible, if Czech Republic v Denmark was a 0-0 draw and Denmark win on penalties, then get knocked out without scoring in the semi-final. Also the Belgians would need to do well.
This has been a lot of fun. Thanks for organising it.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
It is mathematically possible, if Czech Republic v Denmark was a 0-0 draw and Denmark win on penalties, then get knocked out without scoring in the semi-final. Also the Belgians would need to do well.
This has been a lot of fun. Thanks for organising it.
Yep, if Denmark win on penalties at 0-0 they get 10 points for going through which means @emmaemma will be on the same points at you.

Regardless what happens to Belgium, then you both have the same points total, so it comes down to goal prediction.

You said 110, emmaemma 139, current tally is 123, which puts you 13 and 16 away respectively. If there are 2 or more goals scored in the remaining competition, emmaemma will be the closest. It's hard to imagine we'll have 7 games of football to play and only 1 or less goals scored.

1625048304098.png

But, you could all be outflanked if Belgium fall and England or Italy storm through to the final and win... three more wins could be worth 35 points or more, so still plenty of time for some entrants.

And with the right results even Rando could end up mid-table, although I think that's unlikely.

I take it you'd be up for a similar game for next year's World Cup then?

Dogbert

Yep, if Denmark win on penalties at 0-0 they get 10 points for going through which means @emmaemma will be on the same points at you.

Regardless what happens to Belgium, then you both have the same points total, so it comes down to goal prediction.

You said 110, emmaemma 139, current tally is 123, which puts you 13 and 16 away respectively. If there are 2 or more goals scored in the remaining competition, emmaemma will be the closest. It's hard to imagine we'll have 7 games of football to play and only 1 or less goals scored.

1625048304098.png

But, you could all be outflanked if Belgium fall and England or Italy storm through to the final and win... three more wins could be worth 35 points or more, so still plenty of time for some entrants.

And with the right results even Rando could end up mid-table, although I think that's unlikely.

I take it you'd be up for a similar game for next year's World Cup then?
Yes certainly, I've enjoyed it.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Yes certainly, I've enjoyed it.
Cheers. If I do it again I think I will start with the pots again, but might rebalance them based on Fifa rankings... France and Portugal were too easy to select this time from pots 2 and 3.

Dogbert

Cheers. If I do it again I think I will start with the pots again, but might rebalance them based on Fifa rankings... France and Portugal were too easy to select this time from pots 2 and 3.
They were easy to select, but both went out in the first knockout stage!

How do you manage the table? Is it an excel workbook?

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
They were easy to select, but both went out in the first knockout stage!

How do you manage the table? Is it an excel workbook?
Yes. It's a simple excel workbook.

It's based on two main tables - one holds the points per team (see below) with a different column for each round (makes it easy to check back).

1625235253772.png
The there's the one that hold the selection and grabs the scores via a vlookup - that's the one I share with you when I put up an update.

A quick sort of the last column and it's ready to publish.

I keep a record of results and goals as double-check, it's main use is in keeping track of total goals scored.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Latest scores after tonight's matches:

1625259616919.png

Belgium out, so lots of teams will score no more points.

Important games to come tomorrow - Czech v Denmark will make a massive difference to the table, and apparently there's another game on as well.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Only me and Rando with two teams still in it :D

Ian
It's been really strange... I would have expected more teams to be left in, but we had some strange selections and results.

As it stands, I reckon there are still 5 people that could win, including yourself.